The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Girl Scout Cookies revisited

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, so I couldn't remember where the thread was that we were talking about GS cookies. And while I should be going to bed, I happend to catch the show 'Ace of Cakes' on Food Network and Duff was making a cake decorated with...you know it...girl scout cookies.

OMG. It looked SOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy.

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Yummm! It was the "Get your shirt" thread.

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Feb 24, 2008 11:41PM) (new)

Meghan Seriously, I can't decide if it's a good thing or not that I don't know a single person who has a daughter in the GS. I really WANT to buy some cookies but I'm not sure it's a good thing for me to actually EAT the cookies.

But next year, I want a cake with GS cookies on it. It's like sin on top of sin and that can't be bad right?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) We bought a ton from a friend's daughter. We got Thin Mints, Tag-a-longs, Do-si-dos, and thank yous. And the shortbread ones, I forget their name.

Meghan, two wrongs don't make a right! :)

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Have you tried that ice cream flavored like girl scout cookies? I got the Samoa flavor and it was sooooo good. You can buy it in any grocery store! YUMMM!

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, I'm hating you all...well, not hating. I just have cookie envy! heh

Angie - OMG. My second favorite dessert (cake being the first) combining GS cookies?! Holy poo, get me to a grocery store STAT!

I think I just swooned...GS cookie cake with GS cookie ice cream! ha!

message 7: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Meghan, you don't have to hate everybody. I don't have any Girl Scout cookies either!

Oooooooo...Samoa flavored ice cream!

message 8: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments gs cookies are the bane of my existence! I can't ever say no to the sweet little Girl Scouts at church. I went through a box of caramel delites AND a box of thin mints this week. I will be seeing the gym this week, that's for sure!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Meghan, aren't there any Girl Scouts hanging out by your grocery store? You could buy some from them. What's your favorite?

message 10: by Meghan (new)

Meghan No! Isn't that crazy? There's always the boy scouts selling their popcorn. Why are there no cookies?! Mrs. S. used to be my connection (former den leader or whatever you call them), but alas no longer. sigh.

I like samoas and the chocolate covered peanut butter ones...and thin mints (but only after you freeze them). Oh, who am I kidding? I wouldn't turn any of them down.

And whoever mentioned this before is right. Thin mints are the best deal for your money. They have SEVERELY reduced the number of samoas you get in a box from when I was a kid (boy does that make me sound uber old).

message 11: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments Between my husband and I we have 10 nieces (and 7 nephews), several of which are in Girl Scouts right now-we can't escape the cookies! Around here they changed the name from Samoas to Caramel Delights, not quite sure why. I think the Cub Scouts/ Boy Scouts are worse though (or it could just be that my brother-in-law is way too involved) My sister's kids are always selling stuff for Boy Scouts, popcorn, coffee, bread, not to mention the fundraisers for school! Honestly, it's insane how often we get hit up for stuff. I know our day will come when our son is older but I really can't see myself hitting up my family and friends every time I see them!

message 12: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Nicole | 3 comments Just to jump right on in..... I just joined this nice little group :).....anyway, Girl scout cookies are everywhere, and let me just tell you, my husband and i run the kids choir at our church and we have about 14 girls 12 of which are in girl scouts. A nightmare waiting to happen. We had to buy one box from each girl, not cuz they were holding us up at gun point or anything, but they are just so darn irresistible (the cookies, not the girls) and they are so pathetically cute in their little outfits (the girls, not the cookies) and we were in CHURCH of all places (and who can deny a cute girl scout of cookie purchasing in church!). So we were hustled.
Now we have 2 boxes of every flavor of cookie they offer, and i am hiding my scale for a month.

message 13: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Ginger: Not a bad way to get hustled! :)

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Paul Newman would be proud of those girls! heh

message 15: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Nicole | 3 comments Hey, i was once a shameless hustler myself.....i have to get props :)

message 16: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I think that's part of the mother's curse. For all the adults you once manipulated into buying your school stuff, you shall be shamelessly hustled by twice as many cutie patooties!

message 17: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
We had two troupe-mates selling together and then they split the order between them. Well, wouldn't you know it? The one that braved the rain last Saturday and delivered her 7 boxes was NOT the one who took my THIN MINTS order. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!! So the other 8 boxes had BETTER show up this Saturday, I'm telling you!!! Sheesh!!

I want my THIN MINTS!!!

message 18: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I see the other boxes on top of the fridge taunting me.

It's just cruel, I say.

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I just bought my first box of cookies (Samoas)outside of Borders. Cookies and a new book - it's going to be a good night! =)

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I think I need to move... heh

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments So it is that time of year again. Time to start ordering cookies! This year I got a mere 3 boxes of Samoas. We usually get like 12 boxes. Last year it was such a disappointment. Girl Scouts now have two distributers, and each distributer names their cookies something different. So now you either get Carmel Delights or Samoas. Depending on who is the distributer for your girl scout. We just want the normal Samoas that taste like they always did. But last year we got the new cookie (which is supposed to be the same cookie) and it was SUCH a disappointment. Who knows which cookie we will get this year.. Somoas or Carmel Delights.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments Angie wrote: "So it is that time of year again. Time to start ordering cookies! This year I got a mere 3 boxes of Samoas. We usually get like 12 boxes. Last year it was such a disappointment. Girl Scouts no..."

Thin Mints are still Thin Mints, right? Thin Mints aren't just a name, they're an institution!

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Thin Mints I think are the only ones that have kept their name the same from both distributers. Here is something from my local paper:

New flavors in this area will be Sugar Free Chocolate Chips, Lemon Chalet Cremes and Dulce de Leche, along with old faves that might be better known in the area under different names: Do-Si-Dos (aka Peanut Butter Sandwiches), Samoas (Caramel deLites), Trefoils (Shortbread) and Tagalongs (Peanut Butter Patties). And Thin Mints? They're still around too - as Thin Mints.

TASTE TEST: 2008 VS. 2009 THIN MINT

We put Little Brownie Bakers to the test, using the best-selling Thin Mints. We used a box of Thin Mints sealed in the freezer from 2008 for the matchup.

Appearance: The former cookies are lighter in color with a dimpled texture, while the new ones are darker and smoother.

Taste: The new cookie was also judged to be smoother - the old ones had a sharper mint flavor. But opinions varied on whether that change was for the better. One woman said the taste of the new ones is "flat," but others called it more "refined" or "mellow."

Still everyone could taste the difference between the two, and nine of our 10 tasters preferred the new cookies.

message 24: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments Whew. I'll be interested to taste the new ones. And I have a funny story about Thin Mints. One day I was getting a couple Thin Mints for my husband and I when one hit the floor. Our dog, Blue, made a dash for it, then backed up and sat down, looking repeatedly at the cookie and then at us. We of course never gave her chocolate and when she'd "inquire" when we were eating it, we'd say, "No. Dog poison!" After awhile she just didn't beg for it. If she had been put off by the mint, she would have just sniffed it and walked away, rather than pointedly letting us know there was "dog poison" right there on the floor!

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hmatkins) Deborah, that's so funny! My friend lives in the suburbs and I'm so excited because she actually knows someone who is selling girl scout cookies. so i get to take part in the fad this year! :) I guess I'm officially an adult now that I buy GC cookies... :)

message 26: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Yeeeah. Um. Can I just say... 14 boxes.

message 27: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Pathetic!

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker When I sold the cookies, they were 2.50 a box. And now they're like 5.00 a box, so I won't buy any, no matter how cute the kid is. But my parents always buy some from the kids who sell them at church (which is a whole other issue in my mind).

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Michelle what kind do you get? I used to get that many until they changed. I miss those days. :(

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) mmmm..Girl Scout cookies!! the girl scouts just came to my house 2 days ago! i was SOO excited!! i used to sell them back in the day. it's more fun just buying them and eating them now. My favorite is the Thin Mints..and i also really like the peanut butter ones.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I'm a fan of the Samoas and the Do-Si-Dos, but as I said earlier, I refuse to spend $5 of my own money for some kid I don't even know. I think my mom will buy a few boxes, so I'll get a box through her. I'm tempted to try the Thin Mints (but I hate $5 experiments on something that's already overpriced)

message 32: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Supposedly some girl scouts are switching to the other distributor to keep cookies at 3.25 a box. I am willing to pay $5 for the good stuff!

message 33: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 5 comments $5 a box? they better be damn good cookies. i have yet to find a girl scout in my area. when i was a girl scout, the market was competitive! what happened?

message 34: by Robbie (last edited Jan 19, 2009 05:17PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I have managed to avoid GS cookies for a few years, thank goodness! I have enough food to paste to my hips, thank you very much. Deb, funny about Blue. My German-speaking gastroenterologist friend always reminds the kids that chocolate causes dogs to get pancreatitis, so that's what they know. The word "pancreatitis" in German is quite recognizable by we English speakers, too. (BTW, he does speak English, but German to his children.)

message 35: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) I just bought a couple boxes from a co-workers niece, and they are $3.25 each.

message 36: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniquereads) | 9 comments I love GS cookies. Everytime I see them sitting infront of a store with their little table I by a couple of boxes and I don't share them either.

message 37: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments I read this about fewer cookies in girl scout boxes:

The number of Thin Mints in each box is getting thinner this year, along with changes to a few other Girl Scout cookies, says the Dallas Morning News. The paper reported:

"Fewer cookies were packaged into Thin Mints, Do-si-dos and Tagalongs boxes this year, and the Lemon Chalet Crème cookies were resized to compensate for the rising cost of baking staples.

No changes were made to other cookies, according to the Girl Scouts of the USA.

Alternatives to the changes were to raise cookie prices or use cheaper ingredients – two options that were rejected, said Natalie Martin, marketing director for the Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas."