Everything Other World discussion

Promise of Mercy
This topic is about Promise of Mercy

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!

This month we read Kurt's book, Promise of Mercy.

I was very happy with this series so far, and I am anticipating the third in this series. Kurt creates a carefully constructed world. Sometimes, the action suffers because of this, but not with this book.

Kurt and I have often discussed "page turners." I know in my own writing, I write what I enjoy to read. Kurt definitely created, along with his world, a page turner. The action keeps you engaged and doesn't slow down until the very end.

The characters are also very distinct from each other, very well developed, also very difficult to achieve with creating a page turner. Again, the right balance was achieved between action and character development.

I do enjoy a good sci-fi from time to time. I would say if you're thinking of getting into the genre, this series created by Kurt would be a great introduction.

message 2: by Kurt (new) - added it

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kirsten.

I started writing Promise of Mercy while we were finishing the manuscript for Price of Vengeance. I remember telling my brother (who has two daughters, though not twins) about the story. "It involves Liam and Celinia's identical triplet daughters." His response: "Why would you do that to the poor guy?"

message 3: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Haha, yeah, that's a lot of babies all at once. Three mouths to feed, three diapers to change, three to carry around. That's got to be rough.

message 4: by Kurt (new) - added it

Then they become tweens and teens.

message 5: by Kirsten (new) - added it

It's not as bad as people say it is. My son's a real sweetheart - 17 years now. My daughter is sweet too, but with a good amount of sass. So far so good though. :)

message 6: by Kurt (new) - added it

I've always felt that family was important. A strong family bond is something that a person can fall back on when all other options seem to pitter out. I saw the triplets as protective of their little brother, even when he was becoming a force to be reckoned with in his own right.

As family structures weaken in the modern world, I asked myself, "What would it be like in the future, if a humanity rediscovered those bonds and found a way to keep them strong even with interstellar travel being the norm?"

Since the ideal in modern militaries is a sense of fighting as a family, I used the Finnian as a means of taking the concept to a new level. Politically. The Finnian are organized into matrilineal clans, though they technically practice a form of Double Descent (where matrilineage and patrilineage (descent through male line) serve different purposes).

message 7: by Kirsten (new) - added it

The exploration of the relationships was one of my favorite parts. I think this feeling of being disconnected resonates with a lot of people today. In a way, we are more connected. I most likely wouldn't have met you. But, it's limiting, too, because it doesn't encourage the type of closeness people need to really flourish. Which is why you have to let me know if you come tour down south, so we can meet one day :D.

message 8: by Kurt (new) - added it

Like the old cliche, two teens sitting at the table texting—each other! You'll notice the only time someone does that in Promise of Mercy is when Deirdre is signaling her aunt that she's in place.

I'm in Framingham, MA this Sunday. I'm putting book signings on hold for a few months until the snow stops flying.

A tour to the south might be some time off. Virginia or one of the Carolinas?

message 9: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Oh, it's snowing already? It's still in the fifties and sixties here :). We are on the most southern and western tip of VA. There is a preserved outpost that used to be the last sign of civilization before hitting the wilderness. Also, what's special about this area of the Appalachian is if you drive fifteen minutes west, you'll hit Tennesse, then two minutes later you'll hit Kentucky, so you can go border hopping in three different states. I suggest emphasizing the family aspect, as that is highly important, along with church, to the people who live in this area.