Rated YA-MA discussion

Archive > December On Deck

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments What's on your list of potential reads for the month?

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I'm planning on these, for sure.

Rebound Remedy by Christine d'Abo Winter Oranges by Marie Sexton A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2) by K.J. Charles Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer

I've already finished:
Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy, #1) by J.R. Ward

I also want to read the next THrone of Glass book:
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas

And I want to reread:
Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1) by C.S. Pacat Prince's Gambit (Captive Prince, #2) by C.S. Pacat

message 3: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 3 comments I am reading The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #2) by Philippa Gregory for book club.

I just finished the first two in the series, so this one is next... A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter, #3) by Megan Shepherd

I am also attending a Mock Printz conference at a local library this month, so I think the choice I will be reading for it is The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma

Just rewatched all of LotR, so I want to reread The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien

And our group read is These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman , so definitely that!

Busy month!

message 4: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 54 comments First finish - Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness Happily Ever After (The Selection, #0.4, 0.5, 2.5, 2.6) by Kiera Cass The Jewel (The Lone City, #1) by Amy Ewing

message 5: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) My December plans are to try to get through some re-reads and books I own:

Current Reads
Fallen Women by Sandra Dallas The Great Influenza The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History by John M. Barry Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer

Group Reads
Haunting Violet (Haunting Violet, #1) by Alyxandra Harvey These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Re-reads
North and South (North and South, #1) by John Jakes Love and War (North and South, #2) by John Jakes Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Owned books
Hidden in Plain View A Secret Story of Quilts and the Underground Railroad by Jacqueline L. Tobin Heaven and Hell (North and South, #3) by John Jakes Grave Goods (Mistress of the Art of Death, #3) by Ariana Franklin The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Noble I am finally getting around to reading Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo , Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo , and Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo . Also I plan on finishing my Sebastian St. Cyr mystery series by C.S. Harris . Also included in my December to read list is The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick .

message 7: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Dec 31, 2015 01:35PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments December already. I need to finish my challenge and (surprise) I'm behind.

To Read:
Never Said by Carol Lynch Williams Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2) by Jim Butcher Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1-3) by George R.R. Martin The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) by Joe Abercrombie Redshirts by John Scalzi Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer

Finished:
Never Said by Carol Lynch Williams Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer The Year I Became Isabella Anders (Sunnyvale, #1) by Jessica Sorensen Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams Exposed by Kimberly Marcus Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

message 8: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 3 comments Christie wrote: "My December plans are to try to get through some re-reads and books I own:

Current Reads
Fallen Women by Sandra Dallas[bookcover:The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in His..."

Loved The Historian!! Hope you enjoy it!

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Hoping to finish Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) by Neal Shusterman His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire #1) by Naomi Novik

Definitely going to finish Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Also planning on Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer Ice Whale by Jean Craighead George Seabiscuit An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

message 10: by Melanie, the 8th (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:03AM) (new)

Melanie | 1051 comments I plan on finishing the Mistborn series The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson . I'm not sure if it is YA or adult, but it's really good, so I can't stop.

I also plan on reading Physik (Septimus Heap, #3) by Angie Sage and Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) by Terry Pratchett which are challenge reads.

I am not sure if I will do the group read. I get a big Christmas break, so I will probably read it then.

message 11: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Dec 03, 2015 11:02AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Going to finally finish These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Working on Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy, #1) by J.R. Ward

And I would like to try out The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick because I'm watching the show.

I keep saying every single December that I'm going to read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and every single year I don't end up doing it, so I'm going to keep this tradition going and will "try" to read it.

Other than that, I don't know what else I'm looking at. I still have Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima that hasn't been cracked open yet and I'm still chugging along working my way through the Immortals After Dark series.

message 12: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Tegan Mae wrote: "Christie wrote: "My December plans are to try to get through some re-reads and books I own:

Current Reads
Fallen Women by Sandra Dallas[bookcover:The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadlies..."

I've heard lots of good things about The Historian. I am looking forward to it.

message 13: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "Going to finally finish These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Working on Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy, #1) by J.R. Ward

And I would like to try out The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick because I'm ..."

How in the heck did you get Flamecaster?

message 14: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Edelweiss

message 15: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Yep. There. Which is weird because I hardly ever look at the galley sites anymore because I can't seem to keep up with reading on a schedule like I used to be able to. So I'm not sure what compelled me to get this. Maybe someone mentioned it. I don't remember.

message 16: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I requested, we'll see. I do great with Netgalley but Edelweiss is harder for me.

message 17: by Amber (last edited Dec 10, 2015 08:12AM) (new)

Amber (amberm867) Finish:

The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan and Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

Start:
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer (waiting on the wait list...almost there...)

And either Seeing Redd (The Looking Glass Wars, #2) by Frank Beddor or The Princess and the Hound (The Hound Saga, #1) by Mette Ivie Harrison

message 18: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments How did everyone do this month? Did you stick to your list or go off and read something else? How about the year overall? Did you accomplish your reading goals this year?

message 19: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Finishing up Everlost as we speak. Unfortunately I didn't get to Seabiscuit or Ice Whale, but everything else is finished from my list!

message 20: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I read 104, my goal was 100. I'm happy with it!

This month I read:
Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy, #1) by J.R. Ward Rebound Remedy by Christine d'Abo Winter Oranges by Marie Sexton Stranded by HelenKay Dimon A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2) by K.J. Charles Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown Golden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2) by Pierce Brown City of Light (Outcast #1) by Keri Arthur This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

message 21: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I did ok in December. Not great as the holidays were a bit busier than I expected this go round. Read 8/12 of my list.

5 stars
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

4 stars
Grave Goods (Mistress of the Art of Death, #3) by Ariana Franklin These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin

3 stars
The Great Influenza The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History by John M. Barry Haunting Violet (Haunting Violet, #1) by Alyxandra Harvey

2 stars
Fallen Women by Sandra Dallas

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Jan 01, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments 2015 was my lowest reading total by far in years. The year before I said that I was going to read less but now that I had a year where I read less I'm wanting to read more again. :/

I did manage to read 3 from my list. These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy, #1) by J.R. Ward A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens , as well as a couple of Immortals After Dark that I liked and a random trilogy about a serial killer that was mediocre. No big hits or misses this month - it was mostly either like or dislike, but no real strong feelings either way. I am happy though to finally take Dickens off my to-do list after all of this time.