Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > February 2016 nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1162 comments Mod
This month's theme is "Childhood Revisited." Was there a special book you read as a child that you want to reread? Was there a book you read as a child that had a huge impact on your life? Was there a book that got you "hooked" on a certain genre? Is there a book you "had" to read and now want to reread? Is there a favorite book from childhood that you want to share with others? Then, this is the month for you!

There are restrictions to what you can nominate:
1) Nominations are limited to a maximum of two per person.
2) The book must be at least 50 years old,
3) It can't previously have been read by the group, and
4) it must be written by a woman.

Please state whether you are available to lead the discussion for your nomination.

I am looking forward to your nominations. I would also like to hear the reason why you selected your book.

message 2: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

My first nomination is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I first read this in 10th grade in high school many years ago. I was impressed with the story and its readability (contrasted with Dickens and Melville's Moby Dick.) I have read it twice as an adult and continue to love the story. Harper Lee was courageous in writing this story BEFORE the Civil Rights Act changed many laws and traditions in the USA.

message 3: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
I would like to nominateThe Mystery at Lilac Inn, the revised 1961 edition. I was first introduced to Nancy Drew at the age of 8, completely fell in love, and proceeded to devour every book of hers from that point on. I'm still a big fan, although I read her less than I used to. In fact, my mom bought a lot of over 40 ND books on Ebay and limited me to two a day. She knew if she didn't I would read through them in a week!

I selected this book because it's part of the inspiration for the 12th ND PC game (one of my favorites) and because the revised edition is over 50 years old. Also I believe it was ghostwritten by Mildred Wirt Benson.

I can lead the discussion if it wins.

message 4: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments In my teens, my favourite genre for a time was historical novels. They are still the way I like to learn about history. One that I remember had a huge impact (took genre to a new level for me) was Désirée by Annemarie Selinko. I have no idea if it will still work for me 50 years later, but this is my nomination, and I would be willing to lead.

message 5: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited Dec 03, 2015 02:40PM) (new)

Ginny wrote: "In my teens, my favourite genre for a time was historical novels. They are still the way I like to learn about history. One that I remember had a huge impact (took genre to a new level for me) was ..."

Sounds interesting. Never heard of the book, but it is in my library!

message 6: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Ginny wrote: "In my teens, my favourite genre for a time was historical novels. They are still the way I like to learn about history. One that I remember had a huge impact (took genre to a new level for me) was ..."

Oh goodness, I remember reading that, and loving it too!

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments I would like to nominate something that I also read as a teenager, and didn't care for at all at the time, Sigrid Undset's The Wreath. I just read it at too young an age and would really like to go back and read, what everyone claims is a masterpiece, with adult eyes this time.

Yes, I could lead the discussion.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 357 comments I had a nomination, but would rather second Ginny's nomination of Desiree.

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Dec 04, 2015 11:43AM) (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments Sounding great so far. As a kid I fell in love with Little Women. I've read it so many times.
I love the family loyalty exhibited by the March sisters and the gentle feminism.
I could lead

message 10: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Lisa, your nomination of Little Women has won. Let me know if you are still willing and able to lead.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments I saw that Emily. Sure, I will lead the discussion in Feb.

message 12: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
It's been years since I read that book, this will be interesting!