Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > Victoria's 52 books for 2016

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (last edited Dec 02, 2015 12:40PM) (new)

Victoria | 2 comments 1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't - Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
2. A book set in a different continent - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated) -
4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015 - Forest of Secrets by Erin Hunter
5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name -
6. The highest rated on your TBR - Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage
by James E. Talmage
7. A book about books - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (or Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury)
8. A classic book with less than 200 pages - Anthem by Ayn Rand
9. A book that was mentioned in another book - Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (mentioned in Jane Eyre)
10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now - Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (or Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk)
11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge - Probably Flowers for Algernon
12. A childhood classic - The Phantom Tollbooth or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
13. Reader's Choice -
14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How) - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them or The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales
15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago) - Wuthering Heights
16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels - The Talented Mr. Ripley
17. A book with a beautiful cover - Insanity (Mad in Wonderland)
18. A book on a summer/beach reading list -
19. A non-fiction book - Faith Under Construction
20. A book with a first name in the title - Lolita
21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page -
22. The first book in a new to you series - Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (or The Golden Compass, or City of Bones, or The Maze Runner)
23. The next book in a series you are reading - Rising Storm
24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.) -
25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you -
26. A book everyone is talking about -
27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion) - All the Light We Cannot Seeor The Art of Racing in the Rain
28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir - The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name - Probably The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)
30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own - The Arabian Nights?
31. A work of young adult fiction - The Ruins of Gorlan
32. A historical fiction book - Pillar of Light by Gerald N. Lund
33. The 16th book on your TBR - Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
34. A book about mental illness - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
35. An award winning book -
36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation - Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read - The Maze Runner or Fight Club
38. A book about an anti hero - Dune by Frank Herbert(or Perfume: The Story of a Murderer)
39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list -
40. A novella from your favorite genre -
41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction) -
42. A top 100 fantasy novel - A Dance with Dragons, or The Fellowship of the Ring, or Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night - House of Leaves
44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public - Sweet Temptation or Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined
45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have -
46. A crime story -
47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title - Portions from a Wine-Stained Notebook: Uncollected Stories and Essays, 1944-1990 by Charles Bukowski
48. A dystopia - Uglies, or The Handmaid's Tale, or The Darkest Minds
49. A book with a great opening line -Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe or Fight Club
50. A book originally written in a language other than English - The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear
51. A short story from a well-known author -
52. A book published in 2016 -

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Yey, Big Little Lies! Always happy to see it in a list, it's a guaranteed good read :)
I've watched the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell tv show and really enjoyed it, but the book has the reputation of being slow paced, so I can't decide myself to read it. It will be interesting to see what you think about it.
As usual, I don't recommend The Maze Runner. Fight Club was well liked around me, so it's probably a better choice for #37.
I enjoyed both Dune and Perfume, but I read them a long time ago and don't really remember them.
You have pretty interesting books in your list, so you'll have a great reading year :)

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 2 comments Zaz wrote: "Yey, Big Little Lies! Always happy to see it in a list, it's a guaranteed good read :)
I've watched the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell tv show and really enjoyed it, but the book has the reputation ..."

Thanks for the feedback! I like hearing what other people think about the books I'm planning to read!
I actually have already started a challenge where I pick 20 friends to recommend 1 book to me, and I will read those 20 books. Many of the books on this list are from those recommendations (and I just plugged them into the topics they fit with :)). So I guess I will read those recommended books first, and then see what else I want to read (Dune, Maze Runner, and Fight Club were all recommendations :))
I am listening to the Big Little Lies audiobook right now (though I don't think I'm going to finish it before the end of 2015 because it's not a top priority read and I still have 11 hours left of it). I actually began listening to the audiobook early this year and then I stopped because I wasn't sure what was going on, lol (it was still very early on in the book). I started listening to podcasts instead, but I just came back to the audiobook and I'm really liking it now! The characters are so real and relateable! I'm really happy to be enjoying it now.

Also, I heard the same thing about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell :\ And it's such a big book too, to be so slow and dry. I'm a little apprehensive about it, but it's been cropping up on lists for years so I've always felt a pull to read it. I guess we'll see when I get to it!

message 4: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments What a nice idea to do a recommendation challenge! I'd be a little afraid to do something like this, I always feel a lot of pressure when I read a book recommended by a friend. It's awkward when you don't like it!

Yes Strange&Norrell is big too. It has its fans, so hopefully you'll be interested enough to finish it!