Horror Aficionados discussion

Blood and Rain
This topic is about Blood and Rain
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > Blood and Rain - Glenn Rolfe

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenneth McKinley | 1506 comments Mod
Glenn has graciously agreed to join us along the way while we sink our teeth into his recently released werewolf masterpiece, Blood and Rain. We'll start this Monday 12/7.

I've also conducted an interview to go along with our Group Read. If you'd like to see it, you can view it here:

https://kenmckinley.wordpress.com/201...

Char  | 13577 comments Mod
Very cool! Welcome, Glenn!

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 168 comments I'm in.

Scot | 634 comments Hey. Glenn.

This is a great title. I hope everyone has fun with it.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I have a copy, and would so love to read this right now, just not sure I'm going to have the time. At least the thread will remain to refer back to once I read it if I don't get the time. Thanks for setting it up - that's awesome!

message 7: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Hi, ladies and gents!
Hope you guys have a lot of fun with this one. I loved writing it and LOVE my main characters. Hope you enjoy some blood and guts.
Thanks for throwing this together, Ken.

message 8: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm in."
Hope you like to howl, Lisa!

message 9: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Robert wrote: "I have a copy, and would so love to read this right now, just not sure I'm going to have the time. At least the thread will remain to refer back to once I read it if I don't get the time. Thanks fo..."
Hope you can make it, Robert. It's a fast and fur-ious read.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Glenn wrote: "Hope you can make it, Robert. It's a fast and fur-ious read. ..."

[rim-shot] :-)

I'm going to go ahead and read this one once I finish my current read, and do the group read closer to Christmas. It's been too long since I read a werewolf book, and it's one of my favorite genres. It may still be a few days, but hopefully I won't be too far behind. Great of you to do this, Glenn!

Glenn, what can you tell us about the cover? Who created it? Did you have any imput in the design?

message 12: by Glenn (last edited Dec 07, 2015 11:33AM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Ken wrote: "Glenn, what can you tell us about the cover? Who created it? Did you have any imput in the design?"
I love that cover. Scott Carpenter at Samhain did it. He's done all of my covers with the company. As with each of them, I did have input. I think my original notes mentioned it being outside in the dark from the sheriff's back. I wanted the werewolf to be in the shadows so you couldn't see it clearly--I was afraid they'd make some terrible -looking werewolf. Lucky for for me they flipped that idea and made that beautiful beast that you find on the cover. The one thing I wanted for the werewolf is I wanted it to look like the Incredible Hulk in werewolf form. As in the Hulk from the old TV series. They did that and added the rain. They also added the four claw marks through the title. So, yeah, I had an idea, and they took it and made it amazing.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 168 comments Glenn wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I'm in."
Hope you like to howl, Lisa!"

Actually... :)

Interesting take on the metamorphosis into a werewolf where the teeth fall out. I take it Stan regenerates them like a shark?

message 15: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Ken wrote: "Interesting take on the metamorphosis into a werewolf where the teeth fall out. I take it Stan regenerates them like a shark?"
Exactly. Sharks being the bad asses of the sea, werewolves the bad asses of the monster world. Seemed right to me.
I wanted my transformations to be cool, but still mostly classic. I didn't want to veer off too much. I never worry about "how much different can I make this?" Everything's already been written, every song already sung... don't get caught up with being different, just do what feels right to you.

message 16: by Troy (new) - added it

Troy Thompson | 24 comments I started this yesterday morning and am about a third of the way through it. So far, I'm loving it.

Thanks Glenn for participating in this... and for writing the book ;)

Glenn, the characters have such distinct personalities. No cookie-cutter cliches. Were Stan, Joe, Nick, and the others based off of real people that you knew?

message 18: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Troy wrote: "I started this yesterday morning and am about a third of the way through it. So far, I'm loving it.

Thanks Glenn for participating in this... and for writing the book ;)"

Thank you, Troy. Glad you're digging it!

message 19: by Glenn (last edited Dec 20, 2015 09:57PM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Ken wrote: "Glenn, the characters have such distinct personalities. No cookie-cutter cliches. Were Stan, Joe, Nick, and the others based off of real people that you knew?"

Ken, I think that's unavoidable. Sometimes we write people into these characters without even being aware of it at the time.
Nick, he's definitely got a bit more of me in there. I have always been fascinated by the bizarre and the unexplained. Coast 2 Coast AM with Art Bell and/or George Noory has been a favorite radio show of mine since the early 2000's. I've always rolled with punk friends (Like Wes and Joel). My family dynamic isn't quite like his, but I knew plenty of friends who lived in similar situations.
Ted is another character I poured myself into. The love of hair metal, being a deejay, playing in a band... There was a bit more to his character in the original draft, a love interest even. But that hit the cutting room floor. It just slowed the story down a bit too much. But one of the dates he went on in that version was totally pulled from my real life.

As for Stan, I don't know, but I LOVED writing that character and the same with Joe. I couldn't point directly at real life people, but I tried to make them as real as possible. I tried to put myself in their situations. Whether Stan's sense of betrayal from Joe, or Joe's guilt from the secrets he's keeping... I tried to imagine what that kind of weight would feel like and portray it as honestly as I could.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Ok, i finished Krampus, so I'm going to read this before getting started on Wolf Land. Woohoo - werewolf gorging! :-)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Glenn, this book is a blast! Exactly what werewolf fiction ought to be - fast, fun, and gory. Had a lot of the same feel as Animals, and that is high praise from me - I feel that is the best book they wrote. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Ken wrote: "Interesting take on the metamorphosis into a werewolf where the teeth fall out. I take it Stan regenerates them like a shark?"

The only thing I found odd about this is (view spoiler)

message 23: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Robert wrote: "Glenn, this book is a blast! Exactly what werewolf fiction ought to be - fast, fun, and gory. Had a lot of the same feel as Animals, and that is high praise from me - I feel that is t..."
Awesome! Thanks so much for reading it, Robert!
Glad you enjoyed my take.

message 24: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Scot wrote: "Hey. Glenn.

This is a great title. I hope everyone has fun with it."

Thanks, Scot!

message 25: by Glenn (last edited Jan 06, 2016 04:35AM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Thanks for having me, Ken. And thanks to anyone who followed along. If you guys have any other questions or were late to the party, feel free to find me here on GR, over on FB, or at my webiste:
http://glennrolfe.com/

And don't miss my next piece: Things We Fear by Glenn Rolfe

message 26: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hains | 140 comments Terrific interview, Glenn. You have a knack for this (in addition to writing horror). Good luck with Things We Fear.

message 27: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Thanks, Anthony! I grew up reading music magazines. I LOVE interviews. I loved being interviewed and I love conducting them. So much fun digging into creative minds!

message 28: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 214 comments Anthony wrote: "Terrific interview, Glenn. You have a knack for this (in addition to writing horror). Good luck with Things We Fear."

Thanks, Anthony! I grew up reading music magazines. I LOVE interviews. I loved being interviewed and I love conducting them. So much fun digging into creative minds!