Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Alissa's 2016 Classics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alissa (last edited Dec 15, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I did ok with this challenge last year- ended up with 3 unfinished ones. They are the first 3 books of this year and the rest have been on my TBR list for a long time. Im hoping I can finish my list this year!!

EDITED TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES ;-)

1. My Ántonia by Willa Cather Completed 1\14\16
2. East of Eden by John Steinbeck Completed 4/14/16
3. Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham
4. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier Completed 1/7/16
5.The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LerouxCompleted 2/11/16
6. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
7. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell Completed 5/18/16
8. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley JacksonCompleted 9/6/16
9. The Call of the Wild by Jack London Completed 3/10/16
10. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis Completed 3/22/16
11. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Completed 4/13/16
12. Persuasion by Jane AustenCompleted 3/25/16

Alternates:

1. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens Completed 12/15/16
2. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell Completed 12/9/16

CURRENTLY READING:
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

NEXT UP...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I keep seeing " Grapes of Wrath " in the old/new challenge 2016lineup for various folks here in this group. I read it for a group read here in this group and I really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Nice list of books, I've read 10/14, I liked all of them. I noticed the only Old School selection you have is your A-1 Oliver Twist. Are you not planning any Old School reads?

message 4: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Bob wrote: "Nice list of books, I've read 10/14, I liked all of them. I noticed the only Old School selection you have is your A-1 Oliver Twist. Are you not planning any Old School reads?"

Oops! I'm blaming my new mom brain on not paying attention lol

Ok, I edited my list. I added Black Beauty & Persuasion. I've heard great things about both!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 751 comments Persuasion is my favorite Austen so far...hope you like it!

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Now we have a list for the ages, have fun.

message 7: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Finished my first book!
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier My Cousin Rachel

4 Stars

I really enjoyed the story!! I read Rebecca last year and i fell in love with this authors writing. This novel did not disappoint. Rachel was a great character. Was she the villain? Was she the victim? Do I root for her or against her? This book kept me guessing until the very end. Bravo .

message 8: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Finished My Ántonia by Willa Cather My Ántonia

2 stars

This was disappointing for me. It just wasnt what i was expecting. But since this was carryover from my 2015 list, i am glad to finally cross this one off my TBR list. ;-)

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I really enjoyed My Cousin Rachel as well. It's up there with Rebecca as my favourite book by de Maurier. I too like that it was ambiguous whether she was villain or victim, right to the end.

A shame your next read wasn't so good, but good luck with your next choice.

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Jan 14, 2016 10:01AM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I read Willa Cather's Death Comes to the Archbishop this month, my first book by Cather, won't be my last. Of the few I've read by du Maurier I'm sure I would enjoy My Cousin Rachel.

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
You are ahead of schedule! Good work. I agree that du Maurier keeps you guessing.

message 12: by Alissa (last edited Feb 10, 2016 11:50PM) (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Finished The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Louis Alfred Leroux The Phantom of the Opera

3 Stars

I'm a tad embarrassed to admit that I didn't know this was a book first. I was familiar with the ever popular musical version starring Michael Crawford as the physically scarred and emotionally perturbed Phantom. This musical was part of my childhood, as I can recall many memories growing up of singing along with my mom to the cassette tape (?!?!) & being so amazed at the power and the emotion behind the words and the message.

Needless to say, as I read this book and became more enamored with the Phantoms ruthfullness in regards to Christine, as well as the emotion behind the Christine-Raoul relationship , I found myself returning to the music and reading along with the story as though it were being sung to me. Especially the term "Angel of Music", which was used frequently. Usually I would say knowing the musical /movie before reading the book hinders the reading experience , but for me it just enhanced it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Alissa, I didn't know "Phantom" was a first a book either. Ha

message 14: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Finished The Call of the Wild

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

4 Stars

I never realized how brutal this book was. There were times that I had to stop listening to it because I was getting emotional. Told through the eyes of a dog, Buck, this novel chronicles his journey from being a pampered house pet that was stolen and sold and forced to be a sled dog in the treacherous Yukon wilderness. It's a beautiful book. It's an awful book. Highly recommended.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I read "Call of the Wild" last month and used it for bingo.

I really liked it.

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I'm a huge fan of Jack London he's a favorite of mine. I don't think I've ever read anything of his that wasn't good. Check out some of his short stories, you won't be disappointed.

message 17: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Bob wrote: "I'm a huge fan of Jack London he's a favorite of mine. I don't think I've ever read anything of his that wasn't good. Check out some of his short stories, you won't be disappointed."

Do you have any recommendations?

message 18: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
My Jack London Reads

They are all worth reading, you might try The Sea Wolf for a novel, Love of Life: & Other Stories for a short story collection and finally The Game a single short story.

While it maybe a pit much after Call of the Wild, White Fang is also teriffic.

message 19: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis

4 Stars

After years and years of saying "I need to read this series", I finally managed to start it. I saw the movie, so I did know what to expect. However, what happens to Aslan is still hard to read and made me a little sad. I'm definitely going to be continuing with the series.

message 20: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion by Jane Austen

3 Stars

This novel was a delight. I really enjoyed Anne's character a lot. Probably one of my favorite Austen novels.

message 21: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

5 Stars

I have no idea what was happening half the time or what was going on. But it was just beautiful. I'm so happy that I listened to this. Also, after the book (which was read by Ethan Hawke, and he did a great job), there is an interview with Vonnegut discussing his war experiences. Fascinating.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Maybe I'll try listening to "Slaughterhouse Five" as you did.

I tried reading it when it was a BOTM for this group and I CNF'd it with the hope to resume at some point.

Il have to see if my library has audio edition.

message 23: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed East of Eden by John Steinbeck

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

4.5 Stars.

A sad, happy, heartwarming, gut-wrenching, angry, puzzling, frustrating, and depressing story about America and of family. Definitely a true classic.

message 24: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Maybe I'll try listening to "Slaughterhouse Five" as you did.

I tried reading it when it was a BOTM for this group and I CNF'd it with the hope to resume at some point.

Il have to see if my libr..."

Definitely could't hurt!! I really enjoyed the audio version of this.

message 25: by Alissa (last edited May 18, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) completed Black Beauty

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

3 Stars

This was a decent story. I'm not a huge horse lover (they freak me out a bit) but I liked Black Beauty as a character. This book, while short, took me a few days to get into. I kept picking it up, then putting it down again. I enjoyed reading all about his life, as well as the trials and tribulations he went through.

There was one part that really bummed me out, and bummed me out for days. (view spoiler)

Overall, a good book and I can definitely see why it's resonated with so many children and adults.

message 26: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

4 Stars

I have wanted to read this book forever, and I'm so glad that I did. I have only read one other Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson , which I thought was okay... this one was much better. It was the perfect fall read.

message 27: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'm glad you enjoyed it and well done on crossing another book off your list :)

message 28: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Pink wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed it and well done on crossing another book off your list :)"

thank you! =) i'm getting there... 2 more reg and then 2 alternates.. last year I ended with 3 still on the list so I'm hoping not to repeat haha

is it good/sad that I'm already working on my 2017 list???

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well, technically you don't need to complete the alternates as well as the regular choices, so you only require 2 more books in total to complete the challenge...though of course you might want to read them all anyway.

I'm doing much better this year, with 3 books left. Last year I barely completed half of my choices. I'm tentatively planning for 2017, I'd say it's efficient!

message 30: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I know technically 2 are alternates but dang i hate leaving them open ended haha! One of my books is Gone with the Wind which is a MONSTER! I'm at 41% and I feel like even if I dont make this challenge, if I finish it by the end of the year I will consider it a successful 2016 lol

you're doing great!!! I am creeping on everyones lists and seeing their reviews/reactions to gauge my 2017 list... its going to be hard to whittle it down to just 14

message 31: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Excellent progress and four great books left to pick your last two. Not a weakling in the bunch.

message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well I haven't read any of your last 4 choices, so I should probably be getting some tips myself for next year!

message 33: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Pink wrote: "Well I haven't read any of your last 4 choices, so I should probably be getting some tips myself for next year!"

Oh I've already started writing down my list for next year...lol...

I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll finish the last 4 in time, but I will try my best!!

message 34: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Just started Of Human Bondage- this book was on my 2015 list and I hadn't gotten a chance to get around to it, so I'm happy to have finally been able to pick it up!

message 35: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed Gone with the Wind. It took me 6 months but thats because I read it like a fine wine- took sips and savored it......okay okay its because its so large and I got distracted by other books lol

But i LOVED it. I absolutely loved Rhett and I loved to hate Scarlett. Karma.

5 Stars

message 36: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Alissa wrote: "Just started Of Human Bondage- this book was on my 2015 list and I hadn't gotten a chance to get around to it, so I'm happy to have finally been able to pick it up!"

Of Human Bondage is on my list for 2017 as is Gone with the Wind. Congrats on finishing GWTW. I hope I enjoy it as much.

message 37: by Brina (new)

Brina Alissa I am so glad that you were able to finish Gone With the Wind. It tops my reading for this year and I love your analogy to wine.

message 38: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Brina wrote: "Alissa I am so glad that you were able to finish Gone With the Wind. It tops my reading for this year and I love your analogy to wine."

it was SO true though haha. I started it in June and it usually doesn't take me that long to read. But with this one, it's so good that you can do bits at a time if needed (or if you get distracted like me) and it's still great to come back to when you pick it back up again

message 39: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed Oliver Twist.

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

3 Stars

I had no idea how cruel this book was- I grew up on the musical version- much more jolly! ::humming Consider Yourself::

I didn't enjoy this as much as I would have thought, which is a bummer. But, I am glad that I read it and knocked another one off my list =)