Beyond Reality discussion

Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
This topic is about Dust of Dreams
SERIES—List & Discussions > Malazan Book of the Fallen--12/27--Dust of Dreams: Chapters 15-18

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
SPOILERS only through Chapters 15-18 of Book 3 (Only the Dust Will Dance).

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great entrance by Draconus.

I said at the beginning of this book that it was bleak, and it continues to be that way. Hetan's fate, and then her death, along with Cafal's. The heartbreaking rift between Toc and Tool. Death and destruction among the Barghast and Akrynnai.

The Shake storyline is fascinating, if confusing, to me. Their connection to the Tiste Andii, Tist Edur, and the interactions among the Light, the Dark,and Shadow.

The theme of extinction also is woven ever more tightly through these chapters--animals, forests, peoples.

And just what are the gods up to? Much more focus on the Elder Gods in this book, less on the Younger Gods and Ascendants.

And I still don't get The Snake or, really, Kalyth's quest. And Icarium's storyline, while interesting, seems pretty disconnected at the point, too.

Helen Yeah, the snake and the Kalyth are lost on me too. Not sure I'm really up on Icarium either!

Hetan's story line is awful, I was actually relieved when she died. Rape had been a huge theme over the last two books. I hate to think how many times I've read the word let alone actions related to it.

Another theme is returning from the dead, whether actually alive or as a husk. Half the cast must've been dead at some point!

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jan 10, 2016 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, one never knows if the dead are really dead and/or coming back even if they are dead.

Helen :)

Helen I've been remembering random people while reading this. The two necromancers, Silverfox (who had a mention), various people in Derujistan sp?, the red blades in Lether while the Edur first arrived.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

I always get the feeling that we are seeing just parts of the bigger story (even though this is a BIG story in itself) and the bigger world. Things happen(ed) off-stage and we don't always know what came before or comes after. It leaves a lot for the author to address in other books, if he so chooses. I also think some of those stories get told in Esslemont's books.