2016 Choose Your Own Challenge Challenge discussion

Prompt Discussions > A childhood classic

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 195 comments Mod
Lots of possibility here. I can't actually remember if I chose this prompt but if I did (and maybe still if I didn't, I can always add to it!) I'd go with Little Women. Other possibilities are Charlottes Web, Alice in Wonderland, Stuart Little. What books come to mind when you think childhood classic?

message 2: by Nailil (new)

Nailil (nellah) I'm thinking of rereading either Enid Blyton's or Nancy Drew series for this one. I read the translated versions when I was little and got addicted to them.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 30 comments The Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars is a really good book to read. Also is Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (spoiler alert: Have tissues close by)

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 89 comments Interesting you chose Little Women Tara. I'm actually trying (and failing) to finish that book as part of my 2015 Reading Challenge. I'm struggling through it. I love the works by E.B. White and I also think of Roald Dahl for childhood classics. I will try reading The Little Prince for this prompt.

Never heard of either of the books you mentioned Jill, going to look them up.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Summer of the Swans is great and I totally agree anything by Roald Dahl or EB White would be awesome too! I've always thought I should read little women so I'll probably try it. But like I've said before I wont be slogging through things I'm not enjoying this year :)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 30 comments I remember reading The Little Prince. Great choice. Actually all the ones that are mentioned are wonderful books. I've read all mention when I was in school or during the summer. Love EB White.

If you never Read Summer of the Swans or Where the Red Fern Grows, I would suggest your read Red Fern first. There awesome books for both children and adults.

message 7: by Elle (new)

Elle Pea I seem to remember many classmates having read Obasan by Joy Kogawa. I never did and bought a used copy four months ago. that will be my selection.

Though if others want to know two of my fave classics as a child were The Phantom Tollbooth (still love it) & all th Oz books by L. Frank Baum. I think I read them all and some twice!

message 8: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) Elle wrote: "I seem to remember many classmates having read Obasan by Joy Kogawa. I never did and bought a used copy four months ago. that will be my selection.

Though if others want to know two of my fave cla..."

I have to be honest i'd never heard of The Phantom Tollbooth until I joined Goodreads. Now I see it listed as a childhood favourite of so many members that I feel i've missed out on something good there. I just might have found a good excuse to read it for this challenge.

message 9: by Elle (new)

Elle Pea Clare - if you do read it let me know what you think :) I actually haven't been on Goodreads long so wasn't aware of the book's following - I may have to investigate that

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle Pea I also just found the Mary Poppins box set at Costco for great price & had never even thought of those as a Childhood classic. Did anyone read them as a kid? Or as an adult?

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 30 comments I remember the Mary Poppins series of books, I don't think I remember all of the titles through

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Wrayburn (emilywrayburn) The Winnie-the-Pooh books are my go-to childhood books. Also Where The Wild Things Are.

I loved the first three Mary Poppins books, though after that, they got a bit repetitive.

message 13: by ZS (new)

ZS (zs_w) | 2 comments My picks for childhood classics:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith.

Anne of Green Gables, LM Montgomery (& all the Anne books that followed).

message 14: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 89 comments I read a tree grows in Brooklyn and quite enjoyed it. I found it to be a long read but very well written.

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) Small change of plan I couldn't find a copy of The Phantom Tollbooth in the library today so I will be reading Charlotte's Web instead.

message 16: by Tara (new)

I love charlottes web :)

message 17: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) I finished Charlotte's Web last night. Such a lovely story. It's prompts like this that make me realize that I missed out on so many wonderful books as a child.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Wrayburn (emilywrayburn) Charlotte's Web leaves me bawling every time.

message 19: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) It really does have one of the saddest paragraphs i've ever read in a childrens book. Who would have thought i'd care so much about a spider.