A Brief Reading discussion

Group Reads > Portable Childhoods by Ellen Klages

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brooke (last edited Dec 02, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Brooke (brookelee) | 45 comments Mod
Discussion starts December 15th! It's introduced by Neil Gaiman so hopefully this collection will reach a broader audience than Amelia Gray's!!

message 2: by Brooke (new)

Also, if you have a Scribd subscription, Portable Childhoods is on there!!

message 3: by Wen (new)

Wen (wenreads) Looking forward to it, my body and bookshelf are ready.

message 4: by Brooke (new)

I've cheated and read the first story, lol.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) Found it on Scribd and can't wait to get started.

message 6: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mercysbookishmusings) | 12 comments Mod
Gahhhh! So excited for this one!

message 7: by Meredith (last edited Dec 14, 2015 02:26PM) (new)

Meredith (merelovesreading) | 16 comments Okay, I cheated too. Just read the first story. Such a different experience from Gutshot!

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) I will admit that I read the 1st couple of stories over the weekend. So excited to continue on.

message 9: by Brooke (new)

The third story 'The Green Glass Sea' sent me on a wiki rampage learning about the Trinity project which was the first atomic bomb detonation in New Mexico. I love when stuff I'm reading sends me off on a research tangent.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) my copy has just arrived. So, I will read the first story. I will let you know what I think after I have finished this story. Any one getting a Jane Eyre vibe from the first pages of Basement magic. All that hiding away with a book.

message 11: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 4 comments I started the book a couple of days ago and I'm really liking it! I've read about 1/3 so far, the stories are very readable, quirky in a subtle way.

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) I am loving the stories so far. I am reading a couple a day.

message 13: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 4 comments Time Gypsy has got to be my favorite story so far!

SPOILER

*ohmygodtimetravellinglesbianscientiststhatwassocool*

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) well I"ve finished. It didn't blow me away but it was a pleasant read.

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Triangle really creeped me out. Like...a lot. I'm not even sure why. Everything about that story was just so eerie and off and then that ending.

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Also, 'Flying Over Water' really hit home for me as half of my childhood horrors are in that story.

message 17: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (merelovesreading) | 16 comments Just finished. I felt a personal connection to so many of these stories. I absolutely loved this collection. Can't wait to hear what the rest of you think!

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) I have finished the book. I am so happy to have been introduced to this author. This collection is not something I would have chosen for myself but I will definitely be checking out her other works.

I'm still processing my thoughts but there isn't a story I didn't enjoy on some level. My favorites were:

Basement Magic
Green Glass Sea
Triangle
Flying Over Water
Time Gypsy
Guys Day Out
Portable Childhoods

message 19: by Meredith (last edited Jan 16, 2016 09:07PM) (new)

Meredith (merelovesreading) | 16 comments Kris wrote: "I have finished the book. I am so happy to have been introduced to this author. This collection is not something I would have chosen for myself but I will definitely be checking out her other works..."

Those were my favorites too! I'd also add The House of the Seven Librarians. I thought it was a fitting conclusion to the collection.

message 20: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 4 comments I finally finished the book and I really enjoyed it! I have the group to thank, I wouldn't have found the book otherwise.

As a reading experience I found it very comforting, I liked the balance between quirky, sad, delightful, moving and calm.

Triangle was chilling
Basement Magic and Guys Day Out broke my heart
Clip Art, A Taste of Summer and Time Gypsy made me happy
Portable Childhoods and In the House of the Seven Librarians made me smile and cry

All in all, a lovely collection!

message 21: by Brooke (new)

I've just finished Guys Day Out. All the feelings. So much heartbreak.

message 22: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mercysbookishmusings) | 12 comments Mod
Gahhhhh, I cannot wait to start this!!! I have too many books on the go ATM but plan to start it in the new year :)

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn I just finished reading this collection today. I know I'm a little late. I thought this was an amazing collection of short stories. As a person who doesn't read a lot of short stories, I really enjoyed this. I feel like there was a little something in here for everyone. Of course all of the stories didn't get me the way some of them did. A few I especially liked were
Triangle
Time Gypsy
A Taste of Summer
Guys Day Out
In the House of the Seven Librarians