Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Annina's Bingo

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annina (last edited Nov 29, 2016 09:17AM) (new)

Annina | 121 comments Challenge in List Form
To help you keep track of your own progress

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate: The War of the End of the World
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic : The Road
B3: Classic of Africa
B4: Children's Classic : Little Women
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s
I2: New-to-You Author : Love in the Time of Cholera
I3: Classic Play : A Midsummer Night's Dream
I4: Banned Book : Animal Farm
I5: Published in the 1700's

N1: Classic of the Americas: Gone with the Wind
N2: Short Story Collection: Breakfast at Tiffany's
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection
N5: Classic of Europe : Great Expectations

G1: Published in the 1600's
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century : The Catcher in the Rye
G3: Classic Non-fiction
G4: Classic from School
G5: Published in the 1800's

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region Atonement
O2: Gothic Classic : The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic: N or M?
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author: To Kill a Mockingbird

message 2: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments I'm trying to do a whole card, but will be happy for Level 1 bingo.

I also made some plans of the books, but I'm pretty sure, that I won't be reading those cause I'm really bad at keeping any kinds of reading plans, so let's see what happens.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9315 comments Mod
Welcome and happy reading with the challenge Annina!

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Level 1 is a great place to aim. I often do a mix of pre-planning and filling in as I go for challenges. Do whatever works for you, with this one you can always get some ideas and change your mind later if you like.

message 5: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments First book!

N or M? by Agatha Christie

And I use it for Mystery or Crime Classic square.

I usually like Agatha Christie's books, but Tommy and Tuppence is my least favourite and I thought that this was just dull.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Good for you, but sorry it was a dull book.

message 7: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Welcome and happy reading!

message 8: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments SECOND BOOK!!

Making really slow progress, but I'm still trying.

N2. Classic of the Americas: Gone with the Wind

I'm not sure that I actually liked this as much as other people have. I really hated Scarlett and I heard somewhere that this is big romatic book, but the fact is that it was page 715 when Scarlett actually maried Rhett.

The first 700 pages was mainly about Scarlett bitching about everything. and time went by very slowly, but after marriage with Rhett time just flew by.

Anyways.. I'm pretty sure that I won't be re-reading this ever, but I'm glad that I did read it. Now I can tell everyone that I have. And next step is that I'll watch the movie. Have seen it before, but really can't remember anything about it.

message 9: by Tytti (last edited Mar 12, 2016 09:51AM) (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments For me it has always been a survival story, and Scarlett is the one who keeps everyone fed and under a roof, even though she doesn't want to do it. What makes it romantic is that it's clear for everyone that Rhett loves her but he knows that she doesn't yet, even though most people could see that they are perfect for each other. Scarlett has to grow up (she is only 20 when the war ends and 28 in the end of the book) and most of that time the country was at war and/or she was poor. What made her special was that she was an independent woman who did what she wanted at a time when it really wasn't allowed. She was a rebel. She might have "bitched" but she also worked hard, for herself but also for others. Also I like how Rhett doesn't treat her like a delicate flower but as an intelligent woman and his equal in many ways.

message 10: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments I3-square

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I have read 1 Shakespeare's play before (Romeo and Juliet, of course) and it was hard to read, cause I was young. Now I'm older, but Shakespeare is still hard to understand.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Annina wrote: "I3-square

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I have read 1 Shakespeare's play before (Romeo and Juliet, of course) and it was hard to read, cause I was young. Now I'm older, but Shakespeare i..."

I find Shakespeare hard to understand as well.

Many congrats on completing one of his plays. You are braver than I am to even make the attempt.

message 12: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1604 comments I read A Midsummer Nights Dream as well this year, but I listened to an audio version at the same time. It greatly helped my understanding of the play. I definitely recommend trying that if possible.

message 13: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments B1: The War of the End of the World

Not really my kind of book. I'm not big fan of war-books, and some reason I forgot who was who all the time.

message 14: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments O5: To Kill a Mockingbird

I have heard tons of stories how this is one of the greatest books ever, and I did have it in my shelf like ages. Couple days ago I got this feeling, that maybe I just need to read it, so I can make some space to my shelf.

No way! It was such a great book, that I don't think that I want to sell my copy to anyone ever!! :D

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3698 comments Annina wrote: "O5: To Kill a Mockingbird

I have heard tons of stories how this is one of the greatest books ever, and I did have it in my shelf like ages. Couple days ago I got this feeling, that may..."

Love this comment, Annina! It is a magical book.

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Annina, what a great reaction. It's wonderful when you finally read a book that you've always heard good things about and you fall in love too!

message 17: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments B4: Children's Classic : Little Women

Although this is a classic, and it seems that everyone loves it, I really didn't like it that much. The story was okay, but somehow the writing was "weird". Or maybe annoying. Don't know if the style is annoyis me, or is it the translation version, which bothers me so much.

I decided to read only the first book, but maybe someday I'll finish the second book as well.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Annina, I didn't care for "Little Women" and abandoned it fairly early.

I found it annoying or maybe I wasn't in the mood and should try it again later.

message 19: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Annina wrote: "B4: Children's Classic : Little Women

Although this is a classic, and it seems that everyone loves it, I really didn't like it that much. The story was okay, but somehow the writing wa..."

I dint like it much either....
I found it dragging..

message 20: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Annina wrote: "B4: Children's Classic : Little Women

Although this is a classic, and it seems that everyone loves it, I really didn't like it that much. The story was okay, but somehow the writing wa..."

Hated it. Well maybe that isn't fair, but I certainly didn't enjoy it very much.

message 21: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments I like Little Women. But the "style" gets worse further in the series. So if thats what you hate, stop while you're ahead.

message 22: by Annina (last edited May 14, 2016 11:19PM) (new)

Annina | 121 comments Sylwia wrote: "I like Little Women. But the "style" gets worse further in the series. So if thats what you hate, stop while you're ahead."

Thanks for your advice.

B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic: The Road

Even though there wasn't too much action in this book, I ended up liking it. I read it in 3 days, which is quite fast for me.

Not my favourite book, but I will definitely read another Cormac McCarthy book some day.

message 23: by Annina (last edited May 24, 2016 08:02AM) (new)

Annina | 121 comments O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region Atonement

This was great read. I liked it a lot. Although it's quite long book, but it was easy read, and the story kept me interested. I have seen the movie about this, so I knew who was really the blame, but it didn't really bothered me. I could still enjoy this story.

message 24: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Annina wrote: "O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region Atonement
This was great read. I liked it a lot. Although it's quite long book, but it was easy read, and the story kept me interested. I ha..."

I also enjoyed this one, especially with That sentence when you think "wait what!?"

message 25: by Annina (last edited Jul 31, 2016 06:15AM) (new)

Annina | 121 comments N5: Classic of Europe : Great Expectations

I already wrote in my other challenge, that I had some troubles to finish this one. And that's why it's not my favourite Dickens. But I'm glad that I did actually finish it. Although my next Dickens needs to wait sometime before I go for it.

I'm also pretty sure that I won't be finishing this bingo like forever, but trying my best.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris | 235 comments Annina wrote: "I'm also pretty sure that I won't be finishing this bingo like forever, but trying my best. "

I'm behind on mine as well due to moving insanity earlier this year. I adjusted my list to fit smaller books in and I think I'll be more on track in the next couple months. I do plan to complete it before the end of the year but I might be cutting it pretty close.

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Annina wrote: "N5: Classic of Europe : Great Expectations

I already wrote in my other challenge, that I had some troubles to finish this one. And that's why it's not my favourite Dickens. But I'm gl..."

Remember that you don't have to do a Blackout to "win" your Bingo Challenge. There are different levels!

message 28: by Annina (last edited Aug 20, 2016 11:46PM) (new)

Annina | 121 comments I4: Banned Book : Animal Farm

I forgot to check this, when I read it. I liked it a lot and it was quite a short read. Mainly like a fairytale, or something like that.

G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century : The Catcher in the Rye

I don't know if this is my favourite one. I read that almost everyone loves it, but I thought that it was little bit a mess. Or the story was a mess. Don't really know what was wrong, or which parts bothered me..

message 29: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments I know what you mean about The Catcher. I enjoyed it but not to the extent that others have. Animal Farm however was one I had to read at school and so do not remember fondly :0)

oh and I agree too on Great Expectations, not my favourite either. Dombey and Son is much better for instance, in my eyes, and I'm currently going through Our Mutual Friend, which is looking pretty good. My next Dickens I think will be A Tale of Two Cities.

Hope your reading is going well :0)

message 30: by Annina (last edited Aug 27, 2016 04:15AM) (new)

Annina | 121 comments O2: Gothic Classic : The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

I'm so proud of myself! I READ IT! It took me whole summer, but I did finish it this morning! And I'm not gonna lie, there were some boring parts as well.

I have seen only Disney-movie about this, and I really like it, but the book was really different. But it did make me miss Paris. (I might go and check some flights to Paris.. I have 4 days long weekend coming up.. :D )

ps. I realized that I only need to read Asian or Oceania classic and I will have a bingo! So if you know something which is very good, let me know.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I agree that some parts of this book were boring.

I thought Esmeralda a tremendous idiot.

To me, This book was not as good as "Les Miserables."

message 32: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Annina wrote: "ps. I realized that I only need to read Asian or Oceania classic and I will have a bingo! So if you know something which is very good, let me know."

Well Tyynynaluskirja has just been translated, and if you like romance then Lumen maa might be something different. The rest of my "Asian collection" can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... I think they all have translations. Don't know how good they are, though.

message 33: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments I2: New-to-You Author : Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

My first Márquez.. I think that everyone has read this already as well.. I have so much gaps in classics..

I though that it was quite hard read, cause I really hate when the names are quite similar. It took me pages to figure out which one was the woman and which one was the man, and remember it.
And cause the chapters were so long..

But the story was good one.

message 34: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments N2: Short Story Collection: Breakfast at Tiffany's

and that means
BINGO!!!

I wanted to get full bingo, but I'm very happy to this bingo as well.

message 35: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Congrats to you. A bingo is a bingo!

message 36: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well done Annina!

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris | 235 comments Congrats on your bingo Annina!