The Free Readers discussion

This topic is about 1984
December 1984 > This should have happened 30 years ago...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Daniel Clark Any book named after a year is asking to be compared to real life when that year rolls around. What did Orwell get right in his 1984?

Daniel Clark Any thoughts so far?

I'll be starting this later in the month, and I'll let you guys know what I think. As always, your insights, comments, and opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Daniel Clark Here are some of my thoughts, but I'll post soon about some more of the details:

I can see why this book was a game changer--so much of literature, the way we speak, the way we think about government and corporations came out of this book. The duplicity of every character--from our protagonist, to his girlfriend, to his nemesis--was so prevalent that it defines the tone of this doublespeak novel. I thought it was excellently crafted, although as a satire it was a little depressing. There's no light at the end of the tunnel in this book, it's just a dark tunnel all the way down.

Daniel Clark Ok, what is with Julia? When they are initiated into the Brotherhood, Julia and Winston say they are willing to commit all sorts of atrocities if it is for their cause, but when asked "You are prepared, the two of you, to separate and never see one another again?" she says that is the one thing she is not willing to do. But this is the same girl that admits to having affairs with lots of guys and is just out there to enjoy life and not get caught by Big Brother. How is it that she chooses loyalty to Winston at this time? And later, after they are broken by torture, they have that cold, loveless meeting and the song is heard, "Under the spreading chestnut tree, I sold you and you sold me". I can't stand the duplicity of this book! It's actually what makes it so good, but it aggravates me still the same.