Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Elena's '16 bingo

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by siriusedward (last edited Oct 20, 2016 06:15AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Challenge in List Form
To help you keep track of your own progress
25/25

B1: Written by Nobel Laurate : Siddhartha
°B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy ClassicThe Lord of the Rings. ***** 28/1/16 . loved it.
°B3: Classic of Africa The Stranger
°B4: Children's ClassicHeidi ***** 20/1/16
°B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize The Name of the Rose

°I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s : , Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
°I2: New-to-You AuthorTo the Lighthouse .Little Women
°I3: Classic Play A Doll's House
°I4: Banned Book : Animal Farm
°I5: Published in the 1700's : The Mysteries of Udolpho.

°N1: Classic of the Americas : Of Mice and Men The Grapes of Wrath
°N2: Short Story CollectionA Collection of Stories, Reviews and Essays
°N3: FREE SPACEThe Castle of Otranto
°N4: Poetry Collection : Burns: Poems
°N5: Classic of EuropeWatership Down

°G1: Published in the 1600's : King Lear The Pilgrim's Progress
°G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the CenturyThe Little Prince
°G3: Classic Non-fiction A Russian Journal
° G4: Classic from School The Hobbit **** 5/2/16.
°G5: Published in the 1800'sPersuasion. ***** 5/1/16

°O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/RegionThe Golden Gate
°O2: Gothic ClassicNorthanger Abbey**** 2/2/16
°O3: Classic of Asia or OceaniaThe Good Earth
°O4: Mystery or Crime Classic Agatha Christie A Pocket Full of Rye The Woman in White
°O5: Prize-Winning Female Author Selma Lagerlöf The Wonderful Adventures of Nils . . Invisible Links

message 2: by siriusedward (last edited Oct 17, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments The Good Earth - prize winning female author
Or asia

Little Women or Heidi
For childrens classic

The Grapes of Wrath for americas or nobel prize laureates

Middlemarch or Great Expectations Europe

Tales of the Unexpected short story

Nobel prize lureates or europe For Whom the Bell Tolls

message 3: by siriusedward (last edited Oct 17, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments The above may change.it all depends.
Also
The Lord of the Rings fantasy

message 4: by siriusedward (last edited Oct 17, 2016 12:47PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments To consider

Reread Persuasion for 1800s
The Pilgrim's Progress .~40% now
The Mysteries of Udolpho maybe. Read in many books..

message 5: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:23AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Chinua Achebe , maybe for africa

message 6: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments My country prize winners Rabindranath Tagore.
Or The God of Small Things

message 7: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Foriegn literary prize The Bridge on the Drina

Le mondes 100

message 8: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:28AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Banned book edna o brien lonely girl

The Da Vinci Code

Or

The Canterbury Tales. Late 1400s

message 9: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Edna o bien - prize winning female author

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I enjoyed "Grapes" when I read it with this group--my first read.

I read "Middlemarch" just before I joined GR and liked it enough to do a second reading on the heels of the first read of it. If you decide to read these books, I hope you enjoy!

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Great ideas, Elena! Welcome to the challenge.

message 12: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Thanks kathy and andrea....

message 13: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Level One Bingo
Four Corners: Mark off the four outside corners of the Bingo board.
Five-in-a-Row: Mark off five squares in a row. This can be done horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

Level Two Bingo
Small Box: Mark off all the 9 inner squares of the board (including the free square), leaving blank the 16 outside border squares.

Level Three Bingo
Outside Box: Mark off all 16 of the outer squares, leaving blank the 9 inner squares.

Level Four Bingo
Blackout! Mark off all the square

Hoping to make some dent in my tbr

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Looking good with your plans so far...good luck!

message 16: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Pink wrote: "Looking good with your plans so far...good luck!"

Thanks pink....
Just want to tackle those in my tbr...
And conquer it...finally...

message 17: by Susie (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:44AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments This is my first year for this challenge. I came across Rabindranath Tagore and his books which are completely new to me but thinking about using one of his for my Poetry square or Asia/Oceania square...

Have you read his books? Any sugestions as a good one to start with?

Looks like a lot of us will be reading Middlemarch in 2016!

message 18: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I enjoyed "Grapes" when I read it with this group--my first read.

I read "Middlemarch" just before I joined GR and liked it enough to do a second reading on the heels of the first read of it. If y..."

I started middlemarch this year and paused..as i got distracted...hoprfully not so next year...
Most of the authors are new to me.....hopefully i will be able to read at least a few

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Happy Reading!

message 20: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Thank you!!!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I really liked "Middlemarch" and "Grapes of Wrath" when I read them.

I read grapes "Grapes" with this group and read "Middlemarch" just before I joined GR. I hope you enjoy!

message 22: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Thank you!!

I want to wtart reading LOTR...at least the note on the text,foreword etc..

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments siriusedward wrote: "Can we start reading the books now???"

no, no, no hehehehe Don't worry patience was never one of my virtues either.

message 24: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments :) :/ ;)

message 25: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Thanks!! :)

message 26: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 30, 2015 01:05PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments I think i will start the next year with
The Lord of the Rings & Middlemarch....

Crossing my fingers....2 mre days to go....

message 27: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments So....started both LOTR and middlemarch,....today...liking the style of LOTR so far....but middlemarch....not liking the 2 sisters much..will take some time to get into the story i guess..

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Happy New Year of Reading

message 29: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Thank you..

message 30: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Finished Persuasion Persuasion by Jane Austen .again loved it.***** read for me.

Middlemarch by George Eliot Middlemarch is going to be slooow read.not liking anyone in it.till now.

The Lord of the Rings . liking it so far.fairly good pace when life doesnt interfere.

I will take my own sweet time with Heidi
Rereading it.so will do it slowly and enjoy.

message 31: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I think Persuasion is my favourite Austen.

Good luck with Middlemarch, it is slow, like most long victorian novels, but I really got into it. I think I was helped by listening to it on audiobook too.

message 32: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I need to read some Jane Austen this year.

message 33: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments I like that LOTR speeds up once you get out of the Shire.

message 34: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Thank you pink.my favorite austen is p&p and persuasion.loved both.

I want ro read northanger abbey .did not read this and emma and lady susan.

Yea.lotr is good.liking it.

message 35: by siriusedward (last edited Jan 16, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments so

considering

Andy Adams' Campfire Tales or The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
by Andy Adams

or Astoria by washington irving

for American classic

message 36: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments siriusedward wrote: "Thank you pink.my favorite austen is p&p and persuasion.loved both.

I want ro read northanger abbey .did not read this and emma and lady susan.

Yea.lotr is good.liking it."

I'm now listening to Pride and Prejudice and I think it might be a joint favourite with Persuasion. Northerner Abbey is close behind too.

message 37: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments It is mine.will read northanger abbey sometime this year...

message 38: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Finished Heidi 20/1/16 ***** loved it again..

message 39: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Northganger Abbey is on my list for this year too...I read both P&P and Persusion last year.
Persuasion is my favorite so far...

message 40: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Susie wrote: "Northganger Abbey is on my list for this year too...I read both P&P and Persusion last year.
Persuasion is my favorite so far..."

Both arey favorites

message 41: by siriusedward (last edited Feb 22, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments B2: The Lord of the Rings
B3 : Heidi
G5 : Persuasion
O2 : Northanger Abbey
So finished these...

And...

G4 : The Hobbit
B3 : The Stranger

6/24

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Nice reading.

message 43: by siriusedward (last edited Feb 02, 2016 08:46AM) (new)

message 44: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Selma Lagerlöf -- Invisible Links / The Treasure / The Wonderful Adventures Of Nils; And, The Further Adventures Of Nils

Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf (Swedish: [ˈsɛlˈma ˈlɑːɡə(r)ˈløːv]; 20 November 1858 – 16 March 1940) was a Swedish author. She was the first female writer to win the Nobel Prize in Literature, and is best remembered for her children's book Nils Holgerssons underbara resa genom Sverige (The Wonderful Adventures of Nils

message 45: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well done on your completed books. I've been considering The Name of the Rose, since someone suggested it to me for one of my challenges and I think it's currently nominated for a group read, so maybe I'll get to it soon too.

message 46: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments It sounds good.like a historical fiction.so i thought maybe i will give it a try...

message 47: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Quite apart from Bingo.it has helped me read more classics... :)

message 48: by siriusedward (last edited Feb 21, 2016 02:43PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments />

message 50: by siriusedward (last edited Feb 24, 2016 04:01PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments http://www.destination360.com/europe/...
https://wrex2009.wordpress.com/2010/1...
http://www.postmodernmystery.com/name...
First published in Italy in 1980 as Il nome della rosa, William Weaver’s English translation of author Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose appeared in the United States in 1983, and in England in 1984. The novel, with its labyrinthine plot, deep philosophical discussions, and medieval setting, seemed an unlikely candidate for worldwide success. Yet by 2004, the book had sold more than nine million copies and had never been out of print. Critics and readers alike enthusiastically received The Name of the Rose, and the 1986 Jean-Jacques Annaud film, starring Sean Connery and Christian Slater, only fueled interest in the novel.

If The Name of the Rose seems an odd choice for such critical and popular acclaim, Eco’s elevation into literary superstardom seems just as surprising. A scholarly university professor, Eco’s main fields of interest include semiotics, aesthetics, and medieval philosophy.

Umberto Eco was born on January 5, 1932, in Alessandria, Italy, to Guilo and Givovanna Eco. He attended the University of Turin, where he studied medieval philosophy and aesthetics. He published his doctoral thesis, Il Problema estetic in Tommaso d’Aquino (The Aesthetics of Thomas Aquinas) in 1956. In that same year, he began his academic career as a lecturer at the University of Turin. Eco’s familiarity with and attraction to popular culture was manifested early; he began writing a monthly column called “Diario minimo” in 1959, and has continued to comment actively on current affairs and culture since that time.
In 1984, Eco published an English translation of an essay on the composition of The Name of the Rose called “Postscript to The Name of the Rose.” This essay is included in the Harcourt 1994 edition of the novel.

Eco has won many awards for his fiction,

Eco followed the successful The Name of the Rose with several more novels, all translated into English by William Weaver. These include Foucault’s Pendulum (1989); The Island of the Day Before (1995); and Baudolino (2002).

« previous 1 3