Clean,Non Religious-Reads discussion

Stuff Besides... Books/Reading > What are your favorite "ethnic" foods?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Mine are tex-mex and Italian.

I love homemade beef enchiladas and tacos.

Also love spaghetti with meat sauce and lasagna and ziti.

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny used to be mexican & italian & Indian until the kid was diagnosed celiac & allergic to too much.

message 3: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Hi Jenny and WELCOME to the group. So sorry to hear abut your child's allergies. Seems to be an epidemic of allergies in children these days, that I never heard of when my kids were young.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) I love to travel, but when we can't I have a "mini-vaca" by having an ethnic dinner at home. I try to play matching music if I can.

That said, I love (in this order):

Chinese
Italian
Middle Eastern
Mexican

Sometimes my older kids and I would have an ethnic cook-off. We would spin the globe and make a meal from wherever it landed. We have done Canada, Jamaica, Scotland, for a start. It was fun.

message 5: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
That sounds like such a fun idea, Carol.
My dad was full German so I also love sausages like Brats, and my paternal Grandma's German Potato Salad.
And my late husband was from Kentucky, so I also had to learn to cook southern.
A favorite hillbilly dinner was fried pork chops, wilted lettuce with chopped green onions[hot bacon grease poured over,until just wilted], soup beans[usually pintos, or great northern], cornbread and fried potatoes. He was very easy to cook for and enjoyed all the different dishes I made.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) Ach! I forgot to mention German food! That would probably be before Mexican.
I do love some Southern food, too. My favorite "southern recipe" is "Braised Collards"
1 bunch of collards with the ribs taken out, cut into narrow strips
1 onion cut into rings
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs hoison sauce

Add olive oil to big pot or skillet. Throw in onion and cook until it starts to brown. Throw in collards. Cook until wilty. Ad hoison sauce. Continue to cook until at the consistency you like. Love this.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 47 comments My dad grew up in Switzerland so one of my favorites is Swiss Cheese Fondue. I've perfected a recipe over the years and it's our go-to meal when it's time for a celebration. My mouth is watering thinking about it!

message 8: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments I'll eat anything. LOL
That said, lately I'm loving Pad Thai, my go-to at any Thai restaurant.

Chinese and Mexican are also high on the list of ethnic foods.

message 9: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie McCune (bonniemccune) We're so used to some foods, we think they're American! Southwest, Mexican, Chinese, Italian. When I visited Bulgaria, I picked up on a fresh veggie salad, shopska, that I serve all the time.