You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Lisa's Magical History Tour 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments This is a fantastic challenge! I am looking forward to travelling the world in 2016 and taking in lots of sights along the way! :) Got my suitcase packed, my passport in hand. I am ready to see the world!

Suitcase packed photo: suitcasekitty3.gif

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Sep 24, 2016 02:57AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments NORTH AMERICA

MEXICO Mexico flag photo: Mexico Mexico.gif
b) Agave Landscape and Ancient Industrial Facilities of Tequila
✔- Read a book set in Mexico - Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel - 224pp - Finished 22/08/16
✔- Read a book where agriculture plays a significant role - Harvest by Jim Crace - 273pp - Finished 24/09/16
✔- Take Home Item - Bottle of Tequila: Read a book where alcohol plays a significant role - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - 319pp - Finished 21/04/16

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Jul 20, 2016 06:15AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments SOUTH AMERICA

CHILE Chile flag photo: chile cl.gif
b) Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works
- Read a book set in Chile - Sharpe's Devil by Bernard Cornwell - 323pp
- Read a book that is a Rita Award winner or nominee - The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley - 484pp (Paranormal Romance winner)
✔- Take Home Item - Bottle of Water: Read a book that has water on the cover - Voyager by Diana Gabaldon - 1059pp - Finished 20/07/16

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Mar 29, 2016 02:22PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments EUROPE

UNITED KINGDOM (Britain, Ireland and Scotland) UK Flag photo: 2pith helmet UK flag smiley British_flag_pith2.gif
a) Tower of London
✔- Read a book set in England - The Crimson Ribbon by Katherine Clements - 352pp - Finished 14/01/16
✔- Read a book involving the Tower of London - When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman - 746pp - Finished 29/03/16
✔- Take Home Item - Crown: Read a book with a crown on the cover or the word in the title - The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan - 416pp - Finished 15/03/16

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Jul 30, 2016 07:27AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments AFRICA

EGYPT Egypt flag photo: Egypt Flag egypt-flag-32.gif
a) Memphis and its Necropolis
✔- Read a book set in Egypt - Whispers in the Sand by Barbara Erskine - 488pp - Finished 26/07/16
- Read a historical fiction about one of the Pharoahs - The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran - 402pp
✔- Take Home Item - Scarab: Read a book with the word "scarab" in the title or the subtitle - The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason - 356pp - Finished 12/04/16

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2015 08:21AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments ASIA (mainland)

JAPAN Japan flag photo: myharajuku3 Japanflag.gif
a) Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)
- Read a book set in Japan - Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - 428pp
- Read a book set in wartime (any war) - The Night Watch by Sarah Waters - 506pp
- Take Home Item - Dove: Read a book in which a dove is on the cover or in the title - The Wings of the Dove by Henry James - 576pp

message 7: by Lisa (last edited May 28, 2016 08:56AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments AUSTRALIA (includes islands south of mainland Asia)

New Zealand New Zealand flag photo: New Zealand Flag smiley NewZealand_flag.gif
a) Te Wahipounamu - South West New Zealand
- Read a book set in New Zealand - The Bone People by Keri Hulme - 540pp
✔- Read a book in the fantasy genre - A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan - 351pp - Finished 28/05/16
✔- Take Home Item - Chunk of Glacier Ice: Read a book where there is snow/ice on the cover, or "snow" or "ice" in the title - A Royal Affair by John Wiltshire - 250pp - Finished 26/02/2016

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2015 07:29AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments That's every continent covered. I doubt I will manage to visit one site from each and every one but we shall see. I will certainly try! I am going to start off in Europe in the United Kingdom and then work my way around the world from there. Can't wait! :)

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9421 comments Wow, Lisa. That was a quick gophering! Looks great.
I'll be choosing a site for each continent too, but I don't know if I'll cover all of them. But who could resist the gophering?

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sandra wrote: "Wow, Lisa. That was a quick gophering! Looks great.
I'll be choosing a site for each continent too, but I don't know if I'll cover all of them. But who could resist the gophering?"

I actually had a lot more books that fitted the tasks/continents than I thought so that made the gophering easier.

It's impossible to resist gophering! It's one of my favourite parts of the challenges :)

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15087 comments Wow Lisa, you're all ready to go!

I'm especially impressed by the fact that you managed to choose between all the tasks. Did you go for sites that you would find most interesting to visit in real life?

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2015 07:58AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "Wow Lisa, you're all ready to go!

I'm especially impressed by the fact that you managed to choose between all the tasks. Did you go for sites that you would find most interesting to visit in real ..."

A couple of the sites that I went for are in countries that I really want to visit, such as New Zealand, Mexico and Japan. I have already been to Egypt but didn't visit Memphis and its Necropolis so I would love to go back there and see that. The rest I chose simply because I had books that fit the tasks ;)

message 13: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments I love your little flag-y guys, Lisa!

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15087 comments The Beatles song pops in my head everytime I scroll past your thread Lisa :D

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Lynda wrote: "I love your little flag-y guys, Lisa!"

Thanks Lynda! Trawling through Photobucket has its uses :)

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "The Beatles song pops in my head everytime I scroll past your thread Lisa :D"

:D

message 17: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Lynda wrote: "I love your little flag-y guys, Lisa!"

I love your flag guys AND your adorable kitty on the suitcase. Our cats always get on and/or in our suitcases when we get them out to pack : )

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "I love your flag guys AND your adorable kitty on the suitcase. Our cats always get on and/or in our suitcases when we get them out to pack : )"

Hehe, our cats do that too. I think they would come with us if they could! ;)

message 19: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19984 comments ROFL, Lisa. I was just teasing Almeta that I needed to concentrate on my last two series levels before I go full speed gopgering and by then, she would have a book for all of the tasks and I could steal book titles from her. Then I see your challenge title and come to see where you are going and you have done it already! Awsome.

message 20: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments You are super organised Lisa. And I love the pics. I'm going to get some flags for mine visited but I'm not committing to anything yet as I'm bound to change things around.

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9421 comments Your thread looks so good, Lisa.

message 22: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I love your flags! And your books too, some really good ideas

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9421 comments You got me inspired, Lisa. I illustrated a little my thread too. :)

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am beginning my bookish travels today! :)

I am not venturing too far from home to begin with as I am staying within the United Kingdom. My first book is Doomsday Book (set in England).

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Snap! It's too gloomy here :-)

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Just realised your staying in the UK though. Let's hope your trip brings you better weather than in reality. I'm off to China.

message 27: by Lisa (last edited Jan 06, 2016 02:57AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Just realised your staying in the UK though. Let's hope your trip brings you better weather than in reality. I'm off to China."

Enjoy China! You should get better weather there than here ;)

message 28: by Lisa (last edited Jan 06, 2016 03:02AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Just realised your staying in the UK though. Let's hope your trip brings you better weather than in reality. I'm off to China."

I am staying at home but I will be travelling back in time so that's something. Need to be on the lookout for the Black Death though! I have packed my plague mask, just in case...

Plague mask photo: plague doctor mask plaguedoctor.jpg

message 29: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments It is a good book Lisa enjoy it. Did they really wear those things or is that a penguin costume?

message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments I dunno... the pollution there has been appalling the past couple of weeks.

message 31: by Lisa (last edited Jan 06, 2016 04:02AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "It is a good book Lisa enjoy it. Did they really wear those things or is that a penguin costume?"

Thanks Travis! I have been wanting to read it for ages so am looking forward to it. Lol, it does look like a penguin costume but they really did wear them apparently. I think they were worn more by plague doctors in the 17th and 18th centuries than the 14th century though. Not sure if they did much good. They look more creepy than anything!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Wow your all set Lisa =]

I hope you enjoy your travels. After the UK are you going West or East around the world?

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Wow your all set Lisa =]

I hope you enjoy your travels. After the UK are you going West or East around the world?"

Thanks Sarah! :) I will be travelling East. The plan is to go to Africa (Egypt) next, followed by mainland Asia (Japan) and Australia (New Zealand).

Have you started your travels yet?

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Ooh okay, sounds good. I'm thinking of reading 'The Clockwork Scarab' book too =] You'll have to tell me what you think.

I haven't started yet no. I'll be starting in Canada and may visit it twice and finish their too =P I'm going to Alberta first and will be starting my travels on the 15th doing the buddy read of Jurassic Park. Can't wait.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Ooh okay, sounds good. I'm thinking of reading 'The Clockwork Scarab' book too =] You'll have to tell me what you think.

I haven't started yet no. I'll be starting in Canada and may visit it twic..."

Ooh, enjoy your time in Canada! Don't forget your gloves, scarf and hat, I've heard it gets very cold there at this time of year ;) Hehe.

I will keep you posted about The Clockwork Scarab :)

message 36: by Lisa (last edited Jan 09, 2016 10:34AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I started Doomsday Book, which I thought I was going to love, but I got up to Page 80 and couldn't get any further. It just wasn't working for me so I have abandoned it for now. Instead, I am going to read The Crimson Ribbon which is also set in England as it takes place during the English Civil War of the 1640s.

message 37: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15087 comments Is it your first book for the challenge Lisa? Too bad Doomsday Book was not so good, I hope the other one is better.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "Is it your first book for the challenge Lisa? Too bad Doomsday Book was not so good, I hope the other one is better."

Yes, it's my first challenge book. Not the best of starts but hopefully I will like 'The Crimson Ribbon' better :)

message 39: by Lisa (last edited Jan 14, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have finished The Crimson Ribbon for the 'Set in England' task. I gave it 3 stars because it was enjoyable but I wasn't blown away by it by any means.

message 40: by Lisa (last edited Feb 26, 2016 05:03PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I was going to complete my stay in the United Kingdom before moving on but I read A Royal Affair for the toppler which I had also lined up for one of my New Zealand reads. So I took a little detour. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the book at all. I didn't like the writing or the characters and there was no real sense of place or time. I gave it 2 stars. I do really like my chunk of glacier ice though! :)

Now, back to the UK! Plane photo: plane sporty95.gif

message 41: by Lisa (last edited Jul 20, 2016 06:14AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments ITEMS COLLECTED ON MY TRAVELS:

1) Chunk of Glacier Ice from New Zealand (collected 26/02/2016)

Ice photo: ice 11645811527ph9j0.jpg

2) Crown from the United Kingdom (collected 15/03/16)

Crown photo: crown untitled-3.jpg

3) Scarab from Egypt (collected 12/04/16)

Scarab beetle photo: E.L.S. LOGO images-3.jpg

4) Bottle of Tequila from Mexico (collected 21/04/16)

Tequila photo: tequila tequila.jpg

5) Bottle (or several) of Water from Chile (Collected 20/07/16)

Water bottle photo: bottle waters.jpg

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48750 comments That's some chunk of ice. :)

message 43: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19984 comments Oh, pretty!

message 44: by Lisa (last edited Feb 27, 2016 01:30AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "That's some chunk of ice. :)"

You wouldn't believe the trouble I had trying to get it through customs! Lol! ;)

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Cherie wrote: "Oh, pretty!"

Thanks, Cherie!

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am just starting my third book, The Crown Tower. I am hoping Hadrian and Royce will be able to get their hands on a crown for me as I need one for my 'take home' item ;)

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I finished The Crown Tower and rated it 5 stars. I loved Hadrian and Royce's adventures in the 'Riyria Revelations' and it was great to be back in their company and to see how it all began for them. They got me a nice crown too! :D

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48750 comments What good men Hadrian and Royce are! They stole you a crown. :) I have a huge crush on them too. I hope I can get to The Death of Dulgath soon.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "What good men Hadrian and Royce are! They stole you a crown. :) I have a huge crush on them too. I hope I can get to The Death of Dulgath soon."

They are great, aren't they? You can always rely on them ;) I already own a copy of The Rose and the Thorn but I don't have The Death of Dulgath yet. I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback because the hardback is really expensive. I hope it doesn't take too long!

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Mar 15, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48750 comments I've listened to all his books on audiobook except for Death of Dulgath. Tim Gerard Butler does an amazing job! I've finished Rose & Thorn (have the t-shirt), and I have Death of Dulgath on audiobook as well as an autographed trade paperback edition and the ebook version. I participated in the Kickstarter to help Michael self publish Death of Dulgath which is why I have some of the perks. I have about a half dozen autographed bookmarks too. I might give some of the bookmarks to my grandson if he can rip them from my tightly clasped fingers. Hehehehe!

« previous 1