The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Buddy-Reads > The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (December 2015)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
A few of us are looking to read The Silver Linings Playbook from 6th December!

Feel free to join, or make comments about what you thought about it if you've already read it!

Please avoid spoilers, (or use the spoiler tag).

message 2: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I read this one a few years ago. I loved it.

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Whoo-hoo! I am starting this tomorrow.

message 4: by megan (new)

megan | 861 comments Oh I'm in!!!

message 5: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie) (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:32AM) (new)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments I have started the book on my ereader. I kind of want to post where I am and then add spoiler tags but my version does not really have chapter numbers, just names. For example "The Concrete Doughnut" is where I am about to start up again. It is the 6th Chapter but it doesn't say "chapter 6".

How do you think I should mark where I am? I don't think page numbers will really work either since some will have the paperback or hardcover versions.

message 6: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

I'd just say the chapter title, or maybe a percentage?

I'm hopefully going to get started on this tonight!

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Holly wrote: "I'd just say the chapter title, or maybe a percentage?

I'm hopefully going to get started on this tonight!"

Thanks Holly; I will do that. It is not a super long book either. Mine is 234 pages.

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments ☕☕☕ Just about to start the chapter "I Fear Him More Than any other Human Being" 15 % done

My thoughts up to this point / what are yours at this point?
(view spoiler)

This book is great and I can't wait to find out more.

message 9: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie) (last edited Dec 07, 2015 06:23PM) (new)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments ☕☕☕ Just about to start the chapter "Sing and spell and Chant" 27%

I am trying to read no less than 35 pages a day. It is a nice light and easy read. The story is interesting yet believable.

Has anyone else managed to get any started?

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments ☕☕☕ Just about to start the chapter "Sister Sailor - Mouth" 41% - those chapter names are funny when you don't know what they are all about yet.

(view spoiler)

message 11: by megan (new)

megan | 861 comments I'm reading this as a reread. The copy I have was actually given to my by my neuropsychiatrist. He's the reason I originally read The Perks of Being A Wallflower back in the early 2000s and dozens of other books over the years.

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Oh I want to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower too at some point. I have heard only good things about it.

message 13: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Perks is such a good book!

About to start this, as a break from essay planning. (Turns out I'm way busier than I expected to be this week)

message 14: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 435 comments Will start soon

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments I am at 57% now.

Why does the last half of a book always feel like it goes faster than the first half?

message 16: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I read this a couple of years ago, after watching the movie, and I really loved them both, although they are quite different from one another.
You guys enjoy your read!

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments ☕☕☕ Just about to start the chapter My Movie's Montage - 66%

(view spoiler)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Done! It was great. I really didn't know much about it before reading it. I look forward to seeing the movie soon.

★★★★ Read Dec 11/'15

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments I think I will try to watch this movie this weekend.

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Marina wrote: "I read this a couple of years ago, after watching the movie, and I really loved them both, although they are quite different from one another.
You guys enjoy your read!"

Marina I did see the movie now too and agree completely. Both were excellent but each had a different feel to it.

message 21: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Finally finally started this! Just under half way through and its so intriguing!

I definitely want to see how its adapted to film!

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments I am not sure if anyone else is Canadian and gets CTV but if so I just saw an ad.

On New Year's Eve The Silver Linings Playbook movie is on tv.

I think CTV is only in Canada But I am not really sure.

message 23: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I have heard a few things that were changed for the movie that really bothered me so I haven't seen the movie. I'm curious to hear everyone's thought on the comparison.

message 24: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4708 comments Mod
I started this last night. It's not what I expected. I'm having trouble figuring out the main character. I can tell that he suffers with some debilitating personality distress, but I can't figure out what it is. Deep depression stemming from betrayal/breakup? Or a chemical imbalance that precipitated the end of his marriage?

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Renee wrote: "I started this last night. It's not what I expected. I'm having trouble figuring out the main character. I can tell that he suffers with some debilitating personality distress, but I can't figure o..."

Post, post, and post here if you like. I like reading comments on books I have recently read.

message 26: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Thanks. I think I'll take you up on that. :)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments - a Solo Buddy read.

message 28: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I am my own best friend.

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Well that is awesome because I know of people who are their own worse enemy.

message 30: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Finished this today. I'm from the area where this is set which I didn't know going into it. The Philly fans really are as crazy as projected. It was fun to have local street names and restaurants show up in the text. Overall, a decent read.

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments Glad you found it decent. I think I liked it much more than you did but decent is still often enjoyable.

It is kind of neat to read books from your own area isn't it? The one I read from my area was a bit disturbing. It was a true story about a murder out here. But it was neat to hear of all the local businesses and streets.

message 32: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

That would certainly be creepy. The Philadelphia/South Jersey area gets a fair amount of interest setting-wise. Usually more in and around the cities including Trenton, but sometimes the suburbs as well. And the seashore towns, of course. There's at least two currently popular murder-mystery series set here. By Lisa Scottoline and Janet Evanovich.

message 33: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Finally, saw the movie of Silver Linings Playbook. They did a great job with it. Both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were terrific.

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 151 comments It was a good movie. I agree.

message 35: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I have not seen it because of what I heard was different. Maybe I will watch it.