Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Navigating the NBRC group > New? Welcome To Our Group! START HERE:

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Apr 04, 2016 09:19PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
Welcome and thanks for joining our group!

This may be your first online book club, or you may just be a little confused about where to start. We're here to answer your questions!

You took the first step and joined. so...

Logo Design by FlamingText.com

NBRC, Nothing But Reading Challenges, is a book club and much much more. We believe reading is fun and find unique and challenging ways to spread the love of reading.

The aim of this book club is to entice you, grab your imagination, and create an environment where people can discuss their thoughts on books in a warm, friendly, and inviting atmosphere thereby making everyone's reading experience more fun.

To help you navigate our group, we have broken it down into areas of interest. What's yours?

BOOKS OF THE MONTH

Each month Members nominate books to read. Nominations open in the first week of the prior month and are posted here. We have separate categories of:

- Young Adult

- Adult Paranormal/Urban Fantasy/SciFi/Fantasy
FYI, Fantasy includes/encompasses Magical Realism.
By adult, we mean anything categorized as Older than a Young Adult book -- 18+.
--Please note, we do not read erotic books or books that have warnings of mature content because we are NOT an 18+ group and, therefore, have younger members in our group.

- Anything Goes (except Paranormal/Urban Fiction/Young Adult/SciFi/Fantasy, Magical Realism)

- Back Room This is a specific mini group for our NBRC members that only reads books for those over 18 years old. You can request to join here

Books which are nominated are entered into polls for which members can vote for their favorite. The book with the highest number of votes in their category will become one of our books of the month.

BUDDY READS
If you'd like to read a book with someone that isn't a book of the month, then you can request a buddy to read it with you. The three different types we do are “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”. For more information, click here.
You can check out our current buddy reads, or request a new one here.

TEAM CHALLENGES
We have a few team challenges a year ranging from 6 weeks to around 4 months in duration. When a new one is ready for sign-ups, this will be announced in our monthly newsletters.
To be a part of a team challenge you will need to familiarise yourself with the rules for the challenge, create a special shelf to post your books to, and check in with your team discussion thread once per week. Some shorter challenges also have a minimum reading requirement of one book per week ; whereas the longer challenges like Tower Teams have no minimum reading requirement.

Around the World - Ongoing Team Challenge
We have started an ongoing team challenge where you can sign up to be placed in teams of 8 and go for a trip around the world! Details can be found here

CHALLENGES

Each month, we also attempt to post one new monthly challenge with others occasionally thrown into the mix as inspiration strikes us. For an explanation on types of challenges, click HERE.

You can find our Monthly/Seasonal challenges here and our ongoing challenges here

GAMES

We have a number of games which are book related that we hope supports our reading is fun theme.

You can find our games here

Most members tell us that reading challenges are the best way to find book recommendations from others, especially team challenges!

You can also check out our book discussions here and book recommendations here

You can post promotions for your book in our specified folder here
or your blog here.
We do not accept promotional posts in other areas of our group and the posts will be deleted without notice if not in the specified folders.

We try not to send our members too many messages, so our main methods of communication are:
NEWSLETTERS
Each Month we send out a newsletter to keep you up-to-date with group happenings--BOMs, Challenges, etc.

FACEBOOK
NBRC Blog
We regularly post to our Facebook page and Blog to remind our members when Books of the Month are starting, to highlight challenges, team challenge sign-ups etc.

BULLETIN BOARD
Sometimes we'll make special announcements on the bulletin board. If you see a post posted to the bulletin board, you may wish to check it out.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Moore I thought I saw City of Bones as a December BOTM with a start date of December 14, but now I can't find it. was I mistaken?

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Moore disregard previous question, I found it

message 6: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Dec 14, 2015 06:53AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Shalin wrote: "I am looking for Thrillers...
Can you recommend a few to start?"

Hello Shalin and welcome to the group. ☺

You might want to ask that (or check already existing threads) in recommendations. You'll get more response there.

message 7: by Reva (new)

Reva (revans) | 2481 comments Looking for a Great Challenge? GO NO FURTHER!

A number of us have been participating in The NRBC'S :

The Single Player Novel Role Playing Game for ALL of 2015. You read at your own pace and do only those challenges that you want to.

You get to build your strength, battle monsters and collect pets like Horses, Rabbits, Puppies, Falcons and Pet Rocks --all of which aid you in the game.

The Game was so well designed and creative that the many participants begged the Mods to keep the game going in 2016. It's like all the best quests are included in this game.

The Theatre and the Tavern encourage active daily communication between the players and group challenges get everyone working as a team. A GREAT WAY to meet other readers and challenge your mind while reading the books that you like and discovering new and delightful ones that you never might have read.

To level the new players with the old, I think that there will incentives to encourage newbies to join like starter packs or credit for a number of books from 2015 to be carried forward into 2016.

Join now BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2016 and ALL YOUR BOOKS FROM 2015 count!

Tell your friends--ALL are welcome.

See the following link: start with rules then come to the Tavern for a drink and to ask any questions that you might have. People check in daily throughout the day but around 1:30 pm EST is the best time to catch people.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 8: by K (new)

K Hi all! I'm Kiera and I just joined your group. :)

message 9: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Welcome to the group Kiera :)

message 10: by Federica (new)

Federica Hi all! I'm Federica, i've just joined the group. I love reading classic , fantasy and historical books. I'd like so much to discuss together about books we've read in the same period. :-) Talk to you soon!

message 11: by Sandhya (new)

Sandhya Jane (sandhya_jane) | 2 comments Hi, Sandhya here. I joined the group to interact with readers. I have recently published a contemporary romance - Second Spring.
Just happy to be here.

message 12: by Renee (last edited Mar 02, 2016 03:24AM) (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Welcome to the group Federica and Sandhya!

description

message 13: by D. (new)

D. Terry | 1 comments Thank you for adding me. I look forward to learning from you all, and sharing as well.

Thanx much in advance.

d'

message 14: by Terena (new)

Terena (terena4u) Good Afternoon All,

My name is Terena. I joined the group looking for new reading suggestions and book discussions. I am a true book head as I love Fantasy, Sci-fi, Romance, YA, Mystery, Historical and Thrillers.
I look forward to hanging out with you all.

message 15: by Corinne (new)

Corinne | 86 comments It's only my second day in the group and I'm a little bit confused (SO much going on in this group!) but I'm loving it so far. Everyone seems very friendly and knowledgeable!

Feel free to add me as a friend. :)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Is there going to be a reading challenge in April?? I just joined and I love reading challenges!

message 17: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 29, 2016 05:08AM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Sarah wrote: "Is there going to be a reading challenge in April?? I just joined and I love reading challenges!"

If you mean individual challenges? That's what the group is, mainly, so take your pick. :) Jump right in, there's dozens and dozens to choose from.

In the April Newsletter will be links to April challenges that we've had going for a while that are renewed seasonally. There might be something new as well.

And Welcome!!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Karsyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Is there going to be a reading challenge in April?? I just joined and I love reading challenges!"

If you mean individual challenges? That's what the group is, mainly, so take your pi..."

I meant like the Leprechauns Challenge that is going on in March.

message 19: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Sarah wrote: "Karsyn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Is there going to be a reading challenge in April?? I just joined and I love reading challenges!"

If you mean individual challenges? That's what the group is, mainly, ..."

A big one, no. Nothing like that for April. We do a few months in between big events. The "winner" of the Leprechaun event will choose our next team event so that may be the next big thing on the horizon.

But there's still a lot going on with the regular challenges and new things are popping up all the time. :)

message 20: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (natasha_busy_bee) | 7 comments Hello! Warm greetings from Russia. I've just joined the group :) Nice to meet you all! :)

message 21: by Poonam (new)

Poonam | 175 comments Hi All. I have just joined this group and I am looking forward to reading Book of the month and Buddy Reads

message 22: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Welcome to the group Natasha and Poonam :)

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments I came over, because RachelvlehcaR said you guys are awesome :)

message 24: by KellyJo (new)

KellyJo (kellyjo02) I just joined the group and am looking forward to the team challenges. They look so interesting and fun.

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (smoon1) | 14 comments Hi! I've been lurking in the group for years, and I've been busy with life and such and so forth, so I'm introducing myself again. For giggles.

I'm Sara. I a nurse by night and a reader and crafter by day! I enjoy historical fictions, fantasy, and horror, mostly. :)

message 26: by Rennie (new)

Rennie Bottali (RennieBottali) | 7 comments I join your group suggested by https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5...

message 27: by L (new)

L (readingelle) Hi! My name is Letizia and I'mm from Florence, Italy. I love reading and tend to read any genre although YA is my favorite.
I also love baking and tv shows!

message 28: by Elise (new)

Elise (haddenel) | 1 comments Deidre(Dee) ~ Johnny's Grandma ~ wrote: "Hi, I'm Dee, and I live in New Zealand. I enjoy reading most genres, especially YA, fantasy, historical fiction, Scifi, chick lit, and horror. I was looking through the group's, to find one that ha..."

I lived in New Zealand, in Dunedin, for years and absolutely loved it there...you're a lucky person! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these books :)

message 29: by Naditha (new)

Naditha (arthemy) | 1 comments Hi I am Naditha... I think this group is brilliant and I hope I could make a friends here and discuss some book that we like together...
nice to met you all

message 30: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Hi, I'm Lusie. I live in the Netherlands. I love reading and lately I have been trying to read more out of my comfort zone. Doing challenges helps me with that. I am looking forward to explore the challenges here.

message 31: by Aleah (new)

Aleah (aleah_reads) | 9 comments Hi, my name is Aleah. I love to read and I'm thinking this group will just help me enjoy it more. I'm looking forward to trying new books.

message 32: by Pragati (new)

Pragati Hi! My name is Pragati, I'm from Inidia and I'm really looking forward to trying new genres since I've mostly read YA. I also want to take part in some of the activities in the groups, there seems to be a lot going on here :)

message 33: by ~Teresa (new)

~Teresa Howdy ... I'm Teresa. I joined the group yesterday and I'm a little confused, lots happening and lots of energy! I enjoy reading almost everything but especially suspense and horror!

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen Hello, I just joined today because I was looking for an online book club and liked the look of the books of the month for this group, but now I'm confused...why don't I see any discussion threads about the books of the month. It's all other books people are talking about. I'm clearly not understanding something about how this works. Could someone help me out? Thanks.

message 35: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Jen wrote: "Hello, I just joined today because I was looking for an online book club and liked the look of the books of the month for this group, but now I'm confused...why don't I see any discussion threads a..."

Hi Jen, If you read message 1 at the very top of this page, you'll find a breakdown of and links to the things that this group has to offer. One of - if not the - first links leads to the folder for discussions of the Books of the Month. Once you click that link, you just need to find whichever book interests you and click that link to jump into the discussion. :-)

I hope that helps!

message 36: by Audryaunna (new)

Audryaunna | 1 comments Hello, my name is Audryaunna and I love reading. So far I have not been doing much of that lately (*gasps*) :) I decided to join this group because it looks like there are a lot challenges, and book discussions that will help me get back to reading.

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen | 206 comments How do we find out when the next WOBBLE is happening? I clearly missed the signup for this last one. Is it just every summer?

message 38: by Marty (new)

Marty (martymill) | 22 comments Hi, I joined a while ago, but haven't jumped in yet. I'm a paranormal/fantasy/historical fiction/mystery/horror fan. My experience with sci-fi has been pretty hit or miss - Greg Bear tends to be my go-to there.

message 39: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Jennifer wrote: "How do we find out when the next WOBBLE is happening? I clearly missed the signup for this last one. Is it just every summer?"

We host team challenges a few times a year.

You can still sign up to be a reserve on Wobble. The challenge still has about 12 weeks to run and does require active goodreads usage (checking in with your team every few days at least) and requires everyone to read a minimum of one book per week.

You can read more about it and sign up here

message 40: by Veronika (last edited Jul 27, 2016 06:23PM) (new)

Veronika Gasparyan (goodreadscommotheratseven) | 1 comments Hello :) I am a new member and I am reading Mother At Seven which came out few days ago! It is my own book that I wrote but it is honestly the first time I am able to simply sit down and read it without fixing errors or picking on things. Many months with this book and I still cry when I read it :(Mother at Seven

message 41: by Cress (new)

Cress (urbanpanini) | 4 comments Greetings!
I'm a new member with an interest in lots of genres~!
Seriously, through anything at me and I'll give it a chance. I'm currently reading Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Boys and To Kill a Mockingbird. As you can see, my tastes are everywhere.

message 42: by Jose (new)

Jose Frias Corrales Hello,
I am a new member, and this is the first time I ever joined a book club of any type. I had stopped reading books since I graduated from college in 2010, and found the motivation to start reading again. I began reading books since August, and have been mostly reading the books that I bought throughout the years and while in college. Most of the books that I own are either classical literature/plays and history books. I am currently reading Moby Dick (yeah the stories are true it is a good book but oh boy is it a slow read). I joined this book club for two reasons. The first was to help me stay motivated on my goal of reading books. The second reason is to find recommendations of new modern books. Like I mentioned, most of the books I own are classical literature, and I find it difficult to find modern books to read; by that, I mean books made in the last 100 years, for example, The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.

message 43: by Susanna (new)

Susanna Bohacsik | 3 comments hi everyone.
I joined the group yesterday I love to read . I currently have a 1000+ TBR list and noticed that you have a 1001 book you have to read list challenge. please know that there is an updated list at https//bookreviews.com Could you please make this an open ended challenge? Happy reading Everyone! Susanna please forgive if this web address is wrong.

message 44: by Kathi (new)

Kathi (kho4th) I just joined tonight and this is my first online book club. I run a bookclub in Phoenix called the Chapter Chicks. We have been reading together now for five years. I hope to get some new recommendations for me to read. I love all genres. I'm currently reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

message 45: by Tanima (new)

Tanima (nerdtanima) | 1 comments Hello everyone! I'm excited to join this group :) Currently I am doing a classics reading challenge in another group, but I hope to start some here too :)

message 46: by Maureen (new)

Maureen DeLuca Hello all- just saw this group and joined! I'm just looking around now and really looking forward this!! Hope 2017 challenges will be lots of fun!! cheers everyone !

message 47: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 1 comments Hi! I just joined this group, I'm trying to be more active on goodreads and make friends with other readers! :) This seemed like a good place to start!

message 48: by ashley (new)

ashley (patronums) hey! i'm ashley and i'd really like to read more books in the upcoming year of 2017, so i joined this group, hoping that it will help me and i'm really looking forward to making new friends here! :)

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Hi Ashley!!! Welcome!!

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments Hi! I'm Megan and I'm hoping to read many books in the upcoming year. I am excited to get started on some challenges!

« previous 1 3 4