The Reading Challenge Group discussion

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
This topic is about The Four Agreements
Group Read Archive 2014-16 > Non-Fiction Group Read (Religion/Spirituality/Philosophy - December 2015) - The Four Aggreeements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, by Miguel Ruiz

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
For our final Non-Fiction group read we are reading The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, which seems to be a highly divisive read. So it will be really interesting to see what people think of it!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 04, 2015 08:36AM) (new)

Well, I had no idea this book would create such strong opinions among readers, both positive and negative. I do hope it is an enjoyable read for some individuals, myself included. If not, at least I will have read it and won't feel a bit guilty about donating it to a book sale. :) Happy reading everyone.

Edited: I am going to start reading this today (Dec. 4th) and I will check back in after I have formulated some type of opinion.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought the book a few years ago after a friend recommended it, started to read it and then set it aside. After I read the first two chapters early this morning, I remembered why I set it aside back then. Between 2013-2015, I certainly have read other spiritual/philosophical books that were much better written than this one. Ruiz makes some good points but parts of the book were too simplistic, others too extreme and some of the examples were just silly. Maybe the author did not realize that Forrest Gump was a fictional character?

Without stating any spoilers, I must say that now I am a little surprised the book is rated so highly. Some parts of the book sounds as though they were written by a twelve year old or young adults were the target audience. I don't think that applies in this instance though.

Anyway, I will be interested to see if anyone else reads it and has a different opinion of it. The book was not awful, it just wasn't all that great and might be worth reading if a person has not had that much exposure to Buddhist or Toltec philosophy. I am glad to be able to remove it from my bookshelf now (and will be donating it) but do feel a little badly about nominating it.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 896 comments Read this in 2006 - this was my take then: What drivel! I was really expecting something more. This is new age raised to the nth power. I like "feel good" type books but found this almost impossible to wade through. Not my cuppa tea.

I too cannot understand why anyone would want to read this and how it got such a big rating is beyond me.