Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > 2016 Reading Goal

Comments Showing 1-50 of 211 (211 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments How many books do you plan to read next year? As for me, based on my schedule I hope to read 100 books in 2016.

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Good luck, Gis!

I plan to read 200 books again in 2016. :o)

Rebecca (pagescollective) | 283 comments I'm going to be much busier academically in 2016, so I think I'll be reducing my goal to 35. :/

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison Steadman I plan on reading at least 50 books because I may be busy a lot of the time.

message 5: by Tashy (new)

Tashy Jones | 821 comments I think 200, I never seem to really actually challenge myself

message 6: by Vicki (last edited Dec 02, 2015 09:48AM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Book Kitty wrote: "I think 200, I never seem to really actually challenge myself"

So are you saying that this is not a challenge for you or that because you "never" challenge yourself that you are going to in 2016 by shooting for 200? LOL

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1677 comments I think I may raise mine to 150. This year was 130 and I exceeded that.

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Good luck, Michelle!

message 9: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7281 comments I'm going with 200. I've read over 300 this year but due to some schedule changes I may not have as much reading time as before.

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Good luck, Hannah!

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison Brunskill | 1891 comments My goal is also 200

message 12: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Vicki wrote: "Good luck, Gis!

I plan to read 200 books again in 2016. :o)"

You can read that many and probably more :)

message 13: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Rivka Ray [Rebecca ~ Silvan Elf ~] wrote: "I'm going to be much busier academically in 2016, so I think I'll be reducing my goal to 35. :/"

That's not so bad. When I was in college, I probably read only like 10 books.

message 14: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Allison wrote: "I plan on reading at least 50 books because I may be busy a lot of the time."

Best of luck :)

message 15: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Michelle wrote: "I think I may raise mine to 150. This year was 130 and I exceeded that."

Good job for this year! And good luck for the next one :D

message 16: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:31PM) (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I think I might aim for 250 next year as I will probably read a lot of manga.

message 17: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Next year is going to be super busy for me but I am going to really challenge myself and set a goal of 200 books.

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Hi Jacque!! How are you? I miss seeing you on here!

200 as a goal is great and it's mine too! :o)

message 19: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn | 2085 comments I passed my goal of 75 this year, so I think I will try 100 books in 2016.

Rebecca (pagescollective) | 283 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Rivka Ray [Rebecca ~ Silvan Elf ~] wrote: "I'm going to be much busier academically in 2016, so I think I'll be reducing my goal to 35. :/"

That's not so bad. When I was in college, I probably rea..."

O.O for the whole year?? Well, one of my classes is a lit class, so I will get some reading done there. And the kindle app really helps me read a few pages here and there.

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) I think that I am going to try to do 100 books in 2016. I was really busy this year and I expect that I won't be as busy next year. Also I was in a really big reading slump at the beginning of this year. I think that I can do it, but I'm not going to stress about it. I'm just going to have fun. :)

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 78 comments I am not sure what number I want to have for myself yet. At the moment I read more books last year than this year.

message 23: by Tashy (new)

Tashy Jones | 821 comments Vicki wrote: "Book Kitty wrote: "I think 200, I never seem to really actually challenge myself"

So are you saying that this is not a challenge for you or that because you "never" challenge yourself that you are..."

That I'm going to try and actually challenge myself for once, probably should have made that more clear

message 24: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Mehsi wrote: "Good luck Bookbuyer, oh manga, that is a fun challenge. :)

Jacquelyn: Good luck with your year, and also good luck with your challenge! You can do it! :D

Ashlyn: Ohh, great goal. Good luck!

An..."

TY. I'm looking forward to it! I have sooooo many to choose from.

message 25: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Mehsi wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "TY. I'm looking forward to it! I have sooooo many to choose from. "

You're welcome. And indeed, there is a lot of manga out there, so you will be able to pack a whole year and mo..."

Do you read manga? If so what are your favourites?

message 26: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Mehsi wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Do you read manga? If so what are your favourites? "

I read manga (and love it a lot). My favourites: XXXholic (first and second series), Ouran High School Host Club, Say I Love ..."

I've read OHSHC, Say I love you, and Paradise Kiss. OHSHC and Say I Love You were really good. Paradise Kiss was just okay for me. I've heard of Nana and XXXholic but haven't had a chance to read them yet

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This year my goal was 30, and I finished it today with several books still planned for this month.
So I am thinking 35-40 for my goal for next year. Still haven't decided for sure.

message 28: by Re'ann (new)

Re'ann | 7 comments I started with a number of 35, but I think i'm going to exceed that if I keep it up with 2 books per week. My personal goal will be 50-75!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mehsi wrote: "Congrats on finishing your goal Sarah! Enjoy the books you will read more this year.
And good luck on your next year goal. :)"

Thanks Mehsi!

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4439 comments I plan on starting my goal at 100 books and then increase it as needed.

message 31: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 90 comments Wow 100 books!!

I plan on putting mine at 100 and same as you Amanda increasing it if i surpass the goal. What about you Mehsi?=)

message 32: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Vicki wrote: "Hi Jacque!! How are you? I miss seeing you on here!

200 as a goal is great and it's mine too! :o)"

I'm good, really busy with school as per usual! How are you? Good luck this year!

message 33: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Hi Jacque!! How are you? I miss seeing you on here!

I'm good, really busy with school as per usual! How are you? Good luck this year!"

I've been pretty good overall. Although, I have had more illnesses this school year than normal...stress, I think. :o)

Glad to hear you're doing well. I'm sure you are making straight A's again. LOL

message 34: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Vicki wrote: "Jacquelyn wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Hi Jacque!! How are you? I miss seeing you on here!

I'm good, really busy with school as per usual! How are you? Go..."

Hope that the amount of sicknesses dies down! That's no fun. :(

Haha, yes! Our first marking period ended a few weeks ago. Lowest grade was a 95. :)

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments You are AMAZING, Jacque and I'm so thrilled that you use the God-given brain you have!! As a teacher it's so disheartening to have students who don't.

I'm proud of you for doing so well in school!! Keep up the good job!!! :)

message 36: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments <333333 Thanks so much, Vicki!!!!

message 37: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Amanda wrote: "I plan on starting my goal at 100 books and then increase it as needed."

Great! It sounds practical :D

message 38: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments angie♡ wrote: "Next year I want to read 300. I want to be as book involved as possible lol"

Best of luck!

message 39: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 565 comments I don't know what my final decision will be, but I'm going to to go with 50 again. Last year my goal was 50, which is what I started at this year, but I ended up expanding to 100. I think I'm going to be busier next year though, so I don't think I'll reach that lol. As it is I still have 5 books to go. :)

message 40: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Mehsi wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "I've read OHSHC, Say I love you, and Paradise Kiss. OHSHC and Say I Love You were really good. Paradise Kiss was just okay for me. I've heard of Nana and XXXholic but haven't had ..."

O.O There are so many great ones out there that it's hard to choose. Plus I also read Manhwa and Manhua so I would also have those to choose from but I'll stick to my favourite MANGA since that was the question.

Skip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki Nakamura is my all time favourite. It's been hard find others like it that are just as good.

Bleach, Vol. 1 Strawberry and the Soul Reapers (Bleach, #1) by Tite Kubo Bleach is also high up simply because it is an anomaly. I normally hate any Shounen or Seinen manga but this one is the exception.

Love Monster, Vol. 1 by Riko Miyagi Ai no Kusabi Vol. 1 Stranger by Rieko Yoshihara Love Celeb 1 by Mayu Shinjo Kaikan Phrase, Vol. 1  by Mayu Shinjo 覇王♥愛人 1 Haou Airen 1  by Mayu Shinjo Ai Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1 by Mayu Shinjo Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu Vol 01 (Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu, #1) by Kanan Minami Honey & Honey Drops #1 by Kanan Minami

and soooooooo many more. It's been awhile since I've read manga having only recently picked it back up so I had to consult my list to remember some of these. Also I was surprised that some of my favourites that I though were Japanese turned out to be Chinese or Korean! O.O

message 41: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Cheyenne wrote: "I don't know what my final decision will be, but I'm going to to go with 50 again. Last year my goal was 50, which is what I started at this year, but I ended up expanding to 100. I think I'm going..."

Good luck Cheyenne! :D Hope that even though you are busy next year, you will be able to read a lot of great books.

message 42: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Bookbuyer: I know the feeling, I just picked a few of my favourites, but actually I got a whole lot more of them. I don't even have all my manga listed on Goodreads, since I read manga years before I found about Goodreads (and I am just not motivated to add them all). :)

As for your favourites, I am still interested in Skip Beat, I heard quite a lot of it. Bleach was fun, but it just got to be a bit too much of the same for me. (Or maybe it is because I don't really like Shounen.)
As for the others, I haven't read those, though I heard of them. :)
Well then there are a lot of new manga out there in the world, so you can pick up a lot of new manga to love.
I also had that happen to me. I thought I had a manga, but then it turned out to be something different. :)

message 43: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 565 comments Mehsi wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "I don't know what my final decision will be, but I'm going to to go with 50 again. Last year my goal was 50, which is what I started at this year, but I ended up expanding to 100. ..."

Thanks! I hope so. If all else fails and I get behind I'll focus on those pesky novellas I keep getting for some reason and Manga. And maybe dial my goal back, but we'll keep that between us and everyone else in the group. :) I hope you read lots of great books too!

message 44: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Mehsi wrote: "Bookbuyer: I know the feeling, I just picked a few of my favourites, but actually I got a whole lot more of them. I don't even have all my manga listed on Goodreads, since I read manga years before..."

Yeah they can be really hard to distinguish sometimes. I usually go by name first although that can also be misleading. Then I'll go by content. I find that Japanese manga are much more open than manwha and manhua. The art style can also be an indicator. ^-^

Have you got to the part in Skip Beat where Kyoko (view spoiler)

Also bleach isn't for everyone. I also tend to like more Shoujo like manga, but Bleach was an exception for me. It does repeat a lot but I mostly just skip around to the parts I like since there are so many arcs. ^-^

message 45: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Cheyenne wrote: "Mehsi wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "I don't know what my final decision will be, but I'm going to to go with 50 again. Last year my goal was 50, which is what I started at this year, but I ended up expa..."

lol. I've done that before. That's why I tried to be realistic this year and only do 100. Manga and novella's are a great way to boost your book total! :)

message 46: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Cheyenne wrote: "Thanks! I hope so. If all else fails and I get behind I'll focus on those pesky novellas I keep getting for some reason and Manga. And maybe dial my goal back, but we'll keep that between us and everyone else in the group. :) I hope you read lots of great books too! "

You're welcome! Manga and novellas they are always a good idea if you get behind. Or graphic novels. :)
And let's do that. ;)
Thanks! I got quite a few books I am looking forward to, 2016 can't come fast enough.

message 47: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "Yeah they can be really hard to distinguish sometimes. I usually go by name first although that can also be misleading. Then I'll go by content. I find that Japanese manga are much more open than manwha and manhua. The art style can also be an indicator. ^-^

Have you got to the part in Skip Beat where Kyoko (view spoiler)

Also bleach isn't for everyone. I also tend to like more Shoujo like manga, but Bleach was an exception for me. It does repeat a lot but I mostly just skip around to the parts I like since there are so many arcs. ^-^
"

At times indeed, especially some manwha. And same here, I prefer to read manga, I have tried manwha, and still have some I want to read, but I don't know, manga just feels so much different.

I don't think I have gotten to those parts, but then again, it is has been some time since I last checked out the series. I should pick it up!

Sounds like what I do with Gintama. I generally skip the more series arcs and go for the parody/comedy arcs that are way more fun/interesting. :)

message 48: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 565 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "Mehsi wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "I don't know what my final decision will be, but I'm going to to go with 50 again. Last year my goal was 50, which is what I started at this year, bu..."

Bookbuyer wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "Mehsi wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "I don't know what my final decision will be, but I'm going to to go with 50 again. Last year my goal was 50, which is what I started at this year, bu..."

Well, the funny things is that I actually kind of don't like those serial novellas lol. I love Manga, though I haven't read any since the beginning of this year. Manga is fast to read and it holds your attention easier too!

message 49: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Mehsi wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Yeah they can be really hard to distinguish sometimes. I usually go by name first although that can also be misleading. Then I'll go by content. I find that Japanese manga are muc..."

Manga does feel different. I find the art is different and the story-lines as well. I find that manga is not afraid of what the mainstream will say about it. :D

You should definitely catch up with Skip Beat the best parts are coming out right now!!! :)

I usually google online which part I want and just skip to that. Bleach has so many arcs that I would never be able to find them without google. :P

message 50: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 565 comments Mehsi wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "Thanks! I hope so. If all else fails and I get behind I'll focus on those pesky novellas I keep getting for some reason and Manga. And maybe dial my goal back, but we'll keep that ..."

I don't I've read any Graphic Novels actually,and I'm not novellas biggest fan. I have read a lot of Manga though lol. Mostly pre-Goodreads. I haven't read any since the beginning of the year.

« previous 1 3 4 5