You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of The World

Comments Showing 1-50 of 165 (165 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments This had a lot of interest in the poll. Lynda and I are definitly reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami during December for the white covers theme. Feel free to join us. The more the merrier!

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments I will try to join you guys too. May not get to it until Christmas time, but maybe earlier. I haven't read a Murakami this year, and I need to as I have so many!

message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Cool. This will be my first.

message 4: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments If there is going to be a buddy read, I want to join. I've read several Murakami books, but not this one.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Excellent. We've not set a start date, just read during December and discuss as and when like we do with the group reads. I'm really looking forward to it.

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments I think I'll join you too, as this one seems very interesting ☺

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I think this is my 2nd favorite after Kafka on the Shore. Although I have only read one short story collection by him and it was quite good. If you don't have tine for cats and secret passages and weird sex then try his short stories. If this is your first Murakami then you don't know what I mean if you have read him you know those 3 things are mandatory with him

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments *snicker* So true Travis. I better post the bingo card again

description

message 9: by Joan (last edited Dec 02, 2015 03:40PM) (new)

Joan I read it a few years ago - can I still join the buddy read?
It is the kind of book that lingers in your mind.

message 10: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Great bingo card. Are we going to play?

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Joan wrote: "I read it a few years ago - can I still join the buddy read?
It is the kind of book that lingers in your mind."

Sure Joan. As long as you mark spoilers so we don't get a nasty surprise!

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Casceil wrote: "Great bingo card. Are we going to play?"

I'm up for it! Alcoholic or non-alcoholic version?! ;-)

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Great bingo card. I hadn't remembered wgat all the spaces were. I think this book actually might just cover the whole card but whos to say

message 14: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I've read the first 25 pages. This is very strange, even compared to other Murakami I have read (1Q84, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and Kafka by the Shore). I'm assuming more of a story is going to develop if a just keep reading.

message 15: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Is anyone else actually reading this right now? I'm up to Chapter 16, which is about 170 pages in. The book is certainly different. There seem to be two separate stories that alternate by chapter. All of the odd-numbered chapters are "Hard Boiled Wonderland," and all of the even chapters are "The End of the World." I'm confidant the two stories will turn out to be related, and I will be interested to see how. So far I'm not doing as well with the Bingo Card as I expected. Even this far in, I haven't seen a cat yet. Oh, I've got "train station" and plenty of "unexpected phone calls," and "cooking," but I do not think we have even listened to a jazz record yet. I'm enjoying the book, though, and will be interested to know what others think of it. It seems rather different from the other Murakami I have read.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I was going to relisten to this again Casceil as I quite enjoyed it but something is screwed up. So I ordered the paperback

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments Sorry Casceil, I haven't started yet. I have planned to start reading this one next week. First I hope to get through 2 other books which I have to return to the library by the end of the week. I hope I'll get through them in time, because it's 900+ pages in total and I'm a slow reader :s

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments I haven't started yet. I'm guessing it will be towards the end of this week that I get around to starting.

message 19: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I did run into an old jazz record right after I went back to reading. Charlie Parker. They couldn't actually listen to it due to circumstances, but it was discussed.

message 20: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments I haven't started it, yet, either. I wanted to finishing Cat's Cradle first. I'm excited, I haven't read Murakami before.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments How horrible. Here we were on our way to world peace and Murakami's reading habits are leaked. We're going to hell now.

message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments *snicker* I agree, "uproar" is too much of a clickbaity title. "A little bit miffed" seems more accurate.

But I kinda like that librarians are standing up for personal privacy even on paper.

Also, I know what I borrowed from the library at 14, I'm not sure I'd want that reported in international media...

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Definitely naughty of the person who leaked the info. I'm with you Rusalka - I wouldn't want the books I'd read/borrowed published - oh wait, they are on GR. No actually, the books i read as a teenager aren't nor any of the reference books. It would just show me up as a nerd. And a weird one at that.

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Not that I am defending the "leaker" by any means, but at least here in the US if you are a celebrity of any type expect that you have no secrets. It is good of the library to stick up for privacy. There is also no reason a celebrity can't have privacy. In Japan, where generally people are supposed to be more polite it pro ably doesn't happen anywhere near as much as things get leaked here in the US

message 26: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I finished the book last night. I enjoyed it, and there were many aspects of the book that I found interesting. I look forward to discussing specifics when others have read more. Meanwhile, I am frustratingly shy of a BINGO in two directions on the card. If anyone notices a historical flashback, let me know. I can't remember noticing one in the book. In another row I almost get, the missing element is "cats." Now, our main character discusses the fact that he used to have a cat, who left sometime after his wife did, but using that for "cats" plural might be stretching things. If it works, though, then I have bingo on "I" down.

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47187 comments It's amazing the things that get people in an "uproar". We're all going to hell in a handbasket.

message 28: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments Well, I started the story, but I'm only a little way in to the third chapter before I realized I have another book to read first, since it's expiring soon and I can't renew it.

I do like what I've read so far. It's intriguing, and certainly unique. Full of anticipation.

message 29: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I hope you other "must read now" book is short.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments I have just started reading it.

message 31: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments Casceil wrote: "I hope you other "must read now" book is short."

Only 250 pages. I should blow through it quickly, especially since I'm not sleeping well lately.

message 32: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Lynda, I'm sorry you're not sleeping well. Maybe the Murakami book will help. I think I had more interesting and perhaps more calm dreams while I was reading it. It is the sort of book that get into your dreams.

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments I like what you said there Casceil about it getting in to your dreams. I've read up to the end of chapter 3 and it does have a dream-like quality to it.

I'm really liking this book. I'll be back later to comment on the chapters I've read so far.

message 34: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments My book came on Tuesday. Will start once my plumbing project is in better shape. Meaning not leaking a few hundred gallons of water a day. Should get to that point today I think. If not then tomorrow. Problem with leaks is they just get worse. Probably leak about an extra 50 gallons a day over past few days. Started as a little pin hole

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments I hope you get the leak plugged soon Travis. Sounds cold and well...wet!

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments ch1-3 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments Bummer, Travis, hope you were successful with your leak!

message 38: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Sarah, the two stories do continue to alternate. I was reading a paper copy, and at some point I realized that the page headers changed each chapter. In odd-numbered chapters, the line at the top of the page said "Hard-Boiled Wonderland," and in the even chapters it said "The End of the World." Then I looked again at the title of the book and realized it was "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World."

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments I can't believe I finished all those pages in time for the books to return to the library. And then the Toppler after that. It was one big read-a-thon!

So now it is finally time for Murakami! Yay! :D

message 40: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments My leak is fixed finished 1 am friday morning. Still have a bunch of finishing work but not under the gun anymore. Now need to start this book

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments That's great news Travis! I hope the rest of the work will be finished soon.

message 42: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments Sorry it was such a late night on your leak, Travis. You deserve some time with a good book.

I'm jumping back in again today; my other book is taking a long time to get through, so I'm going to read them side by side.

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments I'll be back on this one tomorrow too. Glad the leak got sorted Travis. And now a few more people starting the book. Should be a good discussion.

message 44: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments So I just read chapters 1-3, so I haven't got that far yet. I think this will lead to some interesting discussions. We have strange settings and lots of not normal/standard terms that I don't even know how I would translate it into English (I guess I'll read them later in as the discussion begins to flow here).

As for the comment of Casceil about not finding any historical flashback for the bingo cart. I was wondering (view spoiler)

Overall a great, confusing, strange start of the book!

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments You make some excellent comments Sharon! (view spoiler)

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments I tried reading a bit more before bed last night but my mind kept wandering all over the place and nothing was making any sense. I'll try in the light of day and see if that makes any difference!

message 47: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I love this title, and have read and appreciated some Haruki Murakami. Namely Kafka on the Shore and Norwegian Wood.

BUT 1Q84 in contrast was much too long for what was there. Good story gone wrong in my opinion. Author drags it out much more than deserved.

I'm very interested to see what you all think of this one by Murakami!

message 48: by Sharon (last edited Dec 14, 2015 03:39AM) (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments Thank you Sarah!
I like your link, and I'm wondering who it will be he is refering to.

I've been tossing and turning in bed for well over an hour yesterday, but my mind wouldn't let go of the first chapters I've read. It's already trying to form all kinds of connections and theories about this.
Edit: I've only read chapters 1-3, and the following is only my theory on what little infromation we have right now, but the following theory in the spoiler might spoil the whole plot of the book. So you might want to skip it for now!
Such as (view spoiler)

I have a feeling this book has a lot of attention to detail, so I think I'm going to read this one nice and slow and wonder about all the new, strange places Murakami is going to bring us. :)

message 49: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "I love this title, and have read and appreciated some Haruki Murakami. Namely Kafka on the Shore and Norwegian Wood.

BUT 1Q84 in contrast was much too long for what was th..."

I agree with you on 1Q84. It's the only other Murakami I read. I loved the first 2 books, but I struggled to get through book 3 for years. Picking it up, reading one or 2 chapters and then putting it down again for a couple of months. I finished it recently, but only because I wanted it to be finally over and pushing myself to finish it.
Since this one is just 1 book I think that won't happen again :)

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Ah! I just read you spoiler assuming it was for the first 3 chapters it you must be further along now Sharon as that doesn't make much sense to me. Unless I missed somethi g. Are you able to edit your post to mention what chapter that is in so no one gets a nasty shock.

« previous 1 3 4