Goodreads Ireland discussion

An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3)
This topic is about An Irish Country Christmas
Previous Monthly Reads > An Irish Country Christmas

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the discussion thread for our December group read, An Irish Country Christmas

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Not sure this would be my thing at all. Based on the title and blurb , alongside the authors own background I think its more aimed at the expat and Irish origin audience than those living here. Not to say thats a bad thing. Sometimes its just harder to accept certain things in a book if its based in your own country. I thing I'd start this one cringing.

message 3: by Serf (new)

Serf Don't think this is for me either but gives me time to finish off the classics challenge and a few other reads :)

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Since I'm a mod I will read it though probably not till later in the month. Having just read Tipperary I need a bit of a break from this kind of book. Maybe one for over the Christmas.

message 5: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I don't think I'll be participating either but I have my Agatha Christie christmas book to keep me going. Plus I have to finish the Classics challenge.

message 6: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie | 8 comments I've only been a member of Goodreads for a few months. I've never participated in a group read, but I'm interested in reading books that take place in Ireland, so I just put in a request at my local library to get a copy.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I hope you enjoy it Julie. It certainly sounds like a nice easy Christmas read.

message 8: by MaryKate (new) - added it

MaryKate (marykate711) | 7 comments I think I might give this a try--I'm in the mood for Christmas reads this year since I typically don't read many!

message 9: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah  | 2 comments Question for this one--I read book one of this series and plan on reading the rest, but maybe I'll consider reading this for some seasonal reading. Will it spoil any books after book one? Thanks!

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I don't think so. I read it first.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Paul wrote: "Not sure this would be my thing at all. Based on the title and blurb , alongside the authors own background I think its more aimed at the expat and Irish origin audience than those living here. Not..."

I'd agree it's probably not the kind of book you like but I will share what's different about Taylor's books. He was born in Bangor, Co. Down and did his medical training in Northern Ireland. In 1970, he immigrated to Canada, just as the Troubles were beginning. He wrote a couple of novels about the Troubles Now and in the Hour of Our Death and Pray for Us Sinners and appears to have a new book of stories about the Troubles. I read somewhere at some time, he decided to go in a different direction and write the Irish country novels. This series is his effort to recreate the culture and landscape were going to change forever and the customs, language and morés would disappear.
I'd compare him to Maeve Binchy as someone whose books are sentimental, but are still appealing.
I hope this helps those who aren't familiar with the series.
As Maeve wrote so authentically about Dublin, Taylor conveys a genuine love for Ulster. He lived the first 29 years of his life there and focuses on the Ulster of that time.

message 12: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie | 8 comments I'm new to Irish authors, would you please tell me who Maeve is?

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments Barbara wrote: "Paul wrote: "Not sure this would be my thing at all. Based on the title and blurb , alongside the authors own background I think its more aimed at the expat and Irish origin audience than those liv..."

Thanks for that detailed description, Barbara. This sounds perfect for me to take on my holiday to the Georgia mountains the week between Christmas and New Year. Just got a note that it is being held for me at the library, woo hoo!

Julie, Maeve Binchy is one of the most famous contemporary writers of Irish fiction. She is one of my favourites.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Thanks Barbara. It does sound like a good choice for the group.
:-)

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Julie, I don't know if you're American or not (I am) but Maeve Binchy is a wonderful place to start on Irish authors (Paul, don't cringe). She really writes heart warming stories that are so accessible. I like her oldest ones the best but that's personal taste.

I have read several in this series by Taylor and really liked them. He keeps the pace going. I am overwhelmed by the number of books on my platter right now but I like Donna's idea of reading it between Christmas and New Year's when the pace is more relaxed.

message 16: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie | 8 comments I too am an American, but have a strong Irish ancestry which is why I joined the group, to find authors that write books that will educate me on Ireland. Thank you for the information. I'm going to look her up on Fantastic Fiction. Do you have a recommendation as to what book I should start with?

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul While Maeve Binchy isn't my thing she is well loved and very popular . Definitely a good place to start to get a feel for more modern popular Irish writing.
Sadly not enough blood or dragons for my tastes ;-)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Paul wrote: "Thanks Barbara. It does sound like a good choice for the group.
:-)"

Thanks Paul:)

I can't find my copy so I'm off to the library on my way to work.
I also have a pile to read this month but am going to put this in my queue.
I have to admit that Maeve Binchy is a guilty pleasure for me though not my usual cup of tea. Predictable, sentimental, but there's a spirit and grit in her novels.

message 19: by Margo (new)

Margo This book is not for me, and my library doesn't have it. It is actually available audio, but I'm not enticed to purch it.

I also have to abmit to a soft spot for Maeve. I picked up Circle of Friends and Firefly Summer in audible black friday sale - real blast from the past

message 20: by MaryKate (new) - added it

MaryKate (marykate711) | 7 comments Margo wrote: "This book is not for me, and my library doesn't have it. It is actually available audio, but I'm not enticed to purch it.

I also have to abmit to a soft spot for Maeve. I picked up [book:Circle o..."

I love Maeve too, Margo :). Reading her novels always makes me feel comforted.

message 21: by Margo (new)

Margo MaryKate wrote: "Margo wrote: "This book is not for me, and my library doesn't have it. It is actually available audio, but I'm not enticed to purch it.

I also have to abmit to a soft spot for Maeve. I picked up ..."

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo Margo wrote: "MaryKate wrote: "Margo wrote: "This book is not for me, and my library doesn't have it. It is actually available audio, but I'm not enticed to purch it.

I also have to abmit to a soft spot for Ma..."

Oh i know what you mean - it's like cotton candy for the brain

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Cotton candy for the brain. That's a nice one Margo. I usually just call them enjoyable fluff.

message 24: by Margo (new)

Margo Emma wrote: "Cotton candy for the brain. That's a nice one Margo. I usually just call them enjoyable fluff."

Sweet fluff though emme

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Julie, you can't go wrong with Circle of Friends or Scarlet Feather.

message 26: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments A long time ago, I read Light a Penny Candle, and I enjoyed it.

message 27: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie | 8 comments Thank you. I put both books on my to read shelf on my library's website.

message 28: by MaryKate (new) - added it

MaryKate (marykate711) | 7 comments I'm working through this pretty slowly, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never read any book in this series so it's nice to be introduced to the wonderful characters!

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments MaryKate wrote: "I'm working through this pretty slowly, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never read any book in this series so it's nice to be introduced to the wonderful characters!"

I'd say that's the author's strength. He creates likeable characters as well as some rascals. This is my second reading - I read it in 2008. As I read, I am remembering much of the story, but not what happens between Dr. Laverty and Patricia.

message 30: by MaryKate (new) - added it

MaryKate (marykate711) | 7 comments Barbara wrote: "MaryKate wrote: "I'm working through this pretty slowly, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never read any book in this series so it's nice to be introduced to the wonderful characters!"

I'd ..."

Agreed, Barbara. I'm really enjoying that the author has created more realistic characters--not everyone is flawless :). Also, I can't wait to find out what happens between Dr. Laverty and Patricia myself! And I'd like to see where Dr. O'Reilly's relationship with his love interest will go.

Colleen | 1205 comments I'm more than half way done with and really enjoying this one. I was nervous reading this one before book one and two but I don't feel like I'm missing anything he seems to fill in as he goes along but I know I'll be reading the first 2 in the coming year.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments On my second reading (7 years after the first time) there were some parts of the story I remembered and others I didn't. I did enjoy this story and reviewed it today. I did question the degree of ecumenicalism that existed at the time, not only in Northern Ireland but anywhere. Readers get a sense of a couple of unpleasant characters that will be further developed in future installments - namely Bertie Bishop and his wife. It's not a perfect place to live but Strangford Lough where Dr. O'Reilly goes duck hunting with his dog sounds like a memorable place. Looking it up I just discovered that it is the largest in inlet in the "British Isles" (Wikipedia).

message 33: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I have to confess that I'm skeptical about whether I'll enjoy this one as it seems a bit more on the cozy/fluffy side than my typical reads. I did read the first 10 pages or so when I couldn't sleep and enjoyed the relationship between the two doctors. I plan to take this as my one physical book when journeying to Ohio for the holidays. I have a 12 hour train trip each way.

Colleen | 1205 comments I finished this last night and really enjoyed it. I plan to read more in the series book 1 and 2 this year but for now I'm readingHome Is the Sailor: An Irish Country Doctor Story

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Sara - it isn't your usual thing, but you may enjoy the "Ulsterisms", especially the language :) I hope your train trip isn't too daunting.

Colleen - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I got Home is the Sailor on Audible for a good price.

Colleen | 1205 comments Barbara wrote: "Sara - it isn't your usual thing, but you may enjoy the "Ulsterisms", especially the language :) I hope your train trip isn't too daunting.

Colleen - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I got Home is the Sai..."

I have it on my kindle.