You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main > Peggy doing her very favourite thing all through 2016 - COMPLETED!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Nov 27, 2016 09:02AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Yay! A whole year of world travel ahead of me!

My aim is to complete one site at each continent.

COMPLETED SITES:

North America
Mexico & Caribbean, c. Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve
The Exquisite and Immaculate Grace of Carmen Espinoza
Seriously Mum, Where's That Donkey?
The Dry Grass of August

South America
Argentina, a. Qhapaq Ñan, Andean Road System
In a Sunburned Country
Perla
Half of a Yellow Sun

Europe
Ireland, b. Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast
The Girl on the Cliff
The BFG
An Echo in the Bone

Africa
Kenya, a. Kenya Lake System in the Great Rift Valley
West with the Night
The Lake House
Death by Pink Flamingo

Asia (mainland)
India, b. Mountain Railways of India
The Leaving of Things
True Grit
The Girl From the Train

Australia (and South Asian islands)
Australia, c. Lord Howe Island Group
The Secret River
Moloka'i
A Redbird Christmas

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Oct 18, 2016 12:45AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments North America

Mexico & Caribbean:

c. Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve

Every autumn, millions, perhaps a billion, butterflies from wide areas of North America return to the site and cluster on small areas of the forest reserve, colouring its trees orange and literally bending their branches under their collective weight. In the spring, these butterflies begin an 8 month migration that takes them all the way to Eastern Canada and back, during which time four successive generations are born and die. How they find their way back to their overwintering site remains a mystery.

- Read a book set in Mexico
The Exquisite and Immaculate Grace of Carmen Espinoza 18/10 ★★
- Read a book about migration (human, animal, insect)
Seriously Mum, Where's That Donkey? 08/10 ★★★
- Take Home Item – Butterfly: Read a book where a butterfly is on the cover or the word is in the title.
The Dry Grass of August 06/09 ★★★★

I never heard of this site before, but wow! Nature is so awesome.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 13, 2016 12:26AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments South America

Argentina:

a. Qhapaq Ñan, Andean Road System

Constructed by the Incas over several centuries and partly based on pre-Inca infrastructure, this extraordinary network through one of the world’s most extreme geographical terrains linked the snow-capped peaks of the Andes – at an altitude of more than 6,000 m – to the coast, running through hot rainforests, fertile valleys and absolute deserts. It reached its maximum expansion in the 15th century, when it spread across the length and breadth of the Andes.

- Read a book set in Argentina
Perla 22/06 ★★★★
- Read a book where the main character spends a lot of time on the road.
In a Sunburned Country 13/04 ★★★★★
- Take Home Item – Pin of Argentina’s Flag: Read a book with a sun on the cover.
Half of a Yellow Sun 12/08 ★★★★

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2016 09:03AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Europe

Ireland

b. Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast

It is made up of some 40,000 massive black basalt columns sticking out of the sea. The dramatic sight has inspired legends of giants striding over the sea to Scotland. Geological studies of these formations over the last 300 years have greatly contributed to the development of the earth sciences, and show that this striking landscape was caused by volcanic activity during the Tertiary, some 50–60 million years ago.

- Read a book set in North Ireland or Ireland
The Girl on the Cliff 24/08 ★
- Read a book with a giant in it.
The BFG 19/06 ★★★★★
- Take Home Item – Emerald: Read a book with a predominant green cover (70%)
An Echo in the Bone 01/08 ★★★

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2016 12:12AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Africa

Kenya:

a. Kenya Lake System in the Great Rift Valley

The Kenya Lake System in the Great Rift Valley, a natural property of outstanding beauty, comprises three inter-linked relatively shallow lakes (Lake Bogoria, Lake Nakuru and Lake Elementaita). The property is home to 13 globally threatened bird species and some of the highest bird diversities in the world. It is the single most important foraging site for the lesser flamingo anywhere, and a major nesting and breeding ground for great white pelicans. The property features sizeable mammal populations, including black rhino, Rothschild's giraffe, greater kudu, lion, cheetah and wild dogs and is valuable for the study of ecological processes of major importance.

- Read a book set in Kenya
West with the Night 02/06 ★★★★
- Read a book set near a lake
The Lake House 11/03 ★★★★
- Take Home Item – Flamingo Feather: Read a book with the word flamingo in the title, a flamingo on the cover, or the cover is predominantly hot pink (70%).
Death by Pink Flamingo 27/05 ★★★

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Nov 27, 2016 09:03AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Asia (mainland)

India:

b. Mountain Railways of India

The Mountain Railway of India consists of three railways: the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway located in the foothills of the Himalayas in West Bengal (Northeast India), the Nilgiri Mountain Railways located in the Nilgiri Hills of Tamil Nadu (South India) and the Kalka Shimla Railway located in the Himalayan foothills of Himachal Pradesh (Northwest India). All three railways are still fully functional and operational.

- Read a book set in India
The Leaving of Things 27/11 ★★
- Read a book either published between 1800-1899 or set in the time period
True Grit 05/10 ★★★★
- Take Home Item – Train Model: Read a book set on a train, or with the word “train” in the title
The Girl From the Train 21/01 ★★★★

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2016 10:34AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Australia (+ South Asian islands)

Australia

c. Lord Howe Island Group

A remarkable example of isolated oceanic islands, born of volcanic activity more than 2,000 m under the sea, these islands boast a spectacular topography and are home to numerous endemic species, especially birds.

- Read a book set in Australia
The Secret River 05/03 ★★★
- Read a book set on an island
Moloka'i 09/02 ★★★★★
- Take Home Item – Bird: Read a book with the word “Bird” in the title, or a bird on the cover
A Redbird Christmas 12/01 ★★★

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Lol, who am I kidding thinking that I will read so much that I need separate posts for each continent to keep track of it all? ;-)

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19593 comments It IS a lot, huh? So many choices!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9184 comments I'm trying to do all the continents too, but it was really difficult to choose sites anyway.

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments After a lot of deliberation I think I'll just go for the sites that I own fitting books for or with tasks that shouldn't be too hard to find something for.

Site one almost planned! Just need to find an interesting book set in Mexico.

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19593 comments I have been going through all my books that I own to look for settings. If you haven't read it, Like Water for Chocolate is set in Mexico.

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Thanks Cherie! I read it last year though.

Are you also going to Mexico?

I don't think I have anything set in Mexico on my tbr, so I guess there's nothing do except getting some new books ;-)

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9184 comments Love the pictures!

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19593 comments Peggy wrote: "Thanks Cherie! I read it last year though.

Are you also going to Mexico? "

I decided to stay in Australia until I read all of the books I have planned for. (I just finished posting them.) If, I get all of the Australia tasks done, I will probably jaunt around wherever my books take me to see if I can fill in at least one task on the other 5 continents.

New books are always good. :-)

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Sounds like a good strategy Cherie!

I finished planning for one site on each continent. I might make some changes in books if I feel like it throughout the year, but I'm pretty sure I will stick to these sites.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Boy, this thread is so beautiful and the book titles so interesting that I may decide to do this challenge after all! I was a little challenge-d out, but this looks really cool. Loved the butterfly photo, Peggy!

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Redbird Christmas won't work. Bird or Birds is the acceptable word. Thankfully, you have two others listed as possibilities.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments But I can vouch for the book and the audio of Redbird. Perfect read for this time of year, if you can fit it in soonish, Peggy!

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments It has a bird on the cover Janice :) Very small, but it's there! If I have a version with a different cover I'll choose another book.

Oh you should join Laura! One book a month to complete the challenge should be doable, right?

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Dec 07, 2015 06:16AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Laura wrote: "But I can vouch for the book and the audio of Redbird. Perfect read for this time of year, if you can fit it in soonish, Peggy!"

Probably gonna be next year Christmas if I want to use it for this challenge ;-) or maybe the first book in January, that's still kind of a festive period.

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Oh duh! You're right, Peggy. Sorry. Leave it on your list.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Peggy wrote: "It has a bird on the cover Janice :) Very small, but it's there! If I have a version with a different cover I'll choose another book.

Oh you should join Laura! One book a month to complete the cha..."

Thanks, I just might! :)))

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I didn't mean to do any planning, only gophering, but I think I'll visit Australia first. I have a short book that fits the task A Redbird Christmas and is set in the Christmas season. So unless I wait until December 2016, early January seems the best time to read it. And I like that it is short, because it will make me feel happy to get a challenge task done very soon in the year.

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Sounds like the countdown to January 1st is on. I'm going to start at home (Alberta) with Jurassic Park.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18118 comments Snap Janice! Well book anyway. I'm not sure which task I'm going to count it for yet. Once weve chosen does it have to stay for that task or can we move it around later?

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments You can move it around.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18118 comments That's good to know Janice. Thanks

message 29: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I finished my first book for the challenge. It was a short quick one, A Redbird Christmas, but it was nice.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9184 comments You are on your way, Peggy.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Book 2 finished! And I already didn't stick to my plan to read the books per site...

Does anyone remember how to add the stars (for ratings)? I still have the checkmarks but I want to do stars too :)

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16712 comments You can go into the character map and find it and copy it.

Otherwise you can get some other person to do it, and copy theirs. 

message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16712 comments Or not.
And now I've screwed my computer

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16712 comments http://www.alt-codes.net/star_alt_cod...
Here you go. Press alt and type their codes

message 35: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments

Thank you!!
Funny, when I use that combination here on GR I get a different symbol, but it works in Word and I copied it.

message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16712 comments Glad it worked! I think I pressed ctrl instead of alt and it dimmed my display to unuseable and I had to restart heh

message 37: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments LOL :D I hate it when I accidentally push two buttons at once, or the wrong button, and my computer goes all weird but I have no idea what I did wrong and can't undo it except by restarting.

message 38: by Sarah (last edited Jan 22, 2016 06:21AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Whoops. I copy mine too, I always mess up the computer.. lol

Here's the empty star too ☆

U+2606

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Yay! First site done!

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Yah! Feels good to have that first site done!

message 41: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Yikes! I feel like I'm getting behind. Only 6 books read and I should have 9 done by the end of June.

I think I'm going to combine the monthly theme read with the challenge for this once, and read The Tea Rose. Also, I planned Roses for the hot pink / flamingo task, but it's over 600 pages! I'm in the mood for something simple and light right now and came across some flamingo-themed cozy mysteries, so I'll read Death by Pink Flamingo instead.

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Can't update my first post right now on my phone, but yay! Finished my second site/continent! I feel like I'm back on track again. One more this month and I'm exactly on schedule.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Woohoo! Well done, Peggy! :)

message 44: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19593 comments It is great!

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments An Echo in the Bone is really slowing me down.

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "An Echo in the Bone is really slowing me down."

Are you not enjoying it, Peggy? Or is it the length?

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Mostly the length, but also definitely my least favourite of the series. There have been several times where I felt like skipping a few pages and I have wondered more than once whether I could bring myself to rate it 2 stars after enjoying all the other books so much. I don't think I can, so it will probably be a 2.5 rounded up to 3 ;-)

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "Mostly the length, but also definitely my least favourite of the series. There have been several times where I felt like skipping a few pages and I have wondered more than once whether I could brin..."

Several people I know who have read the books said that #7 was their least favourite. #5 wasn't overly popular with them either. I am slightly concerned about the length of the later books. The first three are long but they are so entertaining that they were never a struggle to get through. I don't want the series to become a chore to read because I love it so much. Hopefully it won't but the length of the later books does intimidate me a bit.

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I have to admit I'm a bit relieved that there's only one more after this. It's a shame when a series you like goes downhill or becomes intimidating. I also can't just quit reading them, because I do want to know how it all ends!

I feel that the books get longer and longer. The first ones were 800 or so pages, but there's one that's 1400! In the 7th it seems less action-packed than the earlier books, and there's more history and politics. That combined with the increasing length makes it less fun to read. I do still love the Jamie and Claire parts in the book, those are 4 or 5 stars parts, but there's too much other (not-so-interesting) stuff going on. And there are so many names and places and I keep getting confused. This is the first book where I sometimes feel Diana Gabaldon is just showing off all her knowledge of the time and wants to cram in as much history as possible.

Haha, I'm sounding very negative right now. It's not all bad, I'm still reading it ;-) At least you have 3 great books to get through first!

message 50: by Lisa (last edited Jul 26, 2016 06:17AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "I have to admit I'm a bit relieved that there's only one more after this. It's a shame when a series you like goes downhill or becomes intimidating. I also can't just quit reading them, because I d..."

Diana Gabaldon is actually writing the 9th book at the moment and I think she plans on writing another one after that but from what I've heard, that will likely be the last one. So there will be another two chunksters ready and waiting for you, Peggy ;) Just when you thought you had reached the end! She is also meant to be writing a novella about Frank at some point too. To be honest, I would rather have a novella about Black Jack. He is a vile character but I find him really interesting from a psychological perspective. I would love to know what made him tick.

I am still really looking forward to the rest of the series, I just hope they don't disappoint.

Do you think you will read the Lord John spinoff series? I own the three novels from that series but not the short stories. Apparently The Scottish Prisoner is a good one to read because it fills in some of the gaps from Voyager.

« previous 1