Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > Heather's 2016 Plan

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Nov 21, 2016 03:40AM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 38/52

1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't: Cinder Completed 8/23
2. A book set in a different continent: The Cuckoo's Calling Completed 3/12
3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated): All the Bright Places Completed 3/8
4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015: Something Like Spring
5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name: Hatchet Completed 5/25
6. The highest rated on your TBR: Something Like Stories: Volume One
7. A book about book: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
8. A classic book with less than 200 pages: The Red Pony Completed 7/2
9. A book that was mentioned in another book: The Outsiders Completed 7/24
10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now: If I Stay Completed 3/14
11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge: Fahrenheit 451 Completed 4/2
12. A childhood classic: Julie of the Wolves Completed 7/9
13. Reader’s Choice: This Is What Happy Looks Like Completed 8/17
14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How): Where She Went Completed 3/14
15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago): Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy Completed 7/24
16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels
17. A book with a beautiful cover: The Martian Completed 2/3
18. A book on a summer/beach reading list: Emmy & Oliver Completed 6/9
19. A non-fiction book - Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers Completed 1/23
20. A book with a first name in the title: Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here Completed 5/13
21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page: Bitch Planet, Vol 1: Extraordinary Machine
22. The first book in a new to you series - Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice Completed 1/9
23. The next book in a series you are reading: The Titan's Curse Competed 1/8
24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.): Queen Song Completed 2/6
25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you
26. A book everyone is talking about: The Girl on the Train Completed 8/25
27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion): Furiously Happy Completed 8/3
28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir - Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang Completed 6/22
29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name: Career of Evil Completed 6/24
30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own
31. A work of young adult fiction: Red Queen Completed 1/29
32. A historical fiction book: Between Shades of Gray Completed 5/30
33. The 16th book on your TBR - Gone
34. A book about mental illness - Fangirl Completed 1/10
35. An award winning book - Room Completed 7/7
36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation - More Happy Than Not Completed 7/4
37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read - Allegiant Completed 4/24
38. A book about an anti hero - Vicious
39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list - (A book with a weird/wacky title): Bream Gives Me Hiccups Completed 3/13
40. A novella from your favorite genre - Kindred Spirits Completed 4/23
41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction) - Lafayette in the Somewhat United States Completed 1/19
42. A top 100 fantasy novel - The Graveyard Book
43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night - Undead and Uneasy Completed 7/8
44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public - Binge Completed 6/30
45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have -
46. A crime story - The Silkworm Completed 3/25
47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Completed 11/3
48. A dystopia - The Last Star Completed 7/30
49. A book with a great opening line - The Last Olympian
50. A book originally written in a language other than English - Ruby Red/Night
51. A short story from a well-known author - Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
52. A book published in 2016 - Glass Sword Completed 2/24

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan Chew, Vol. 1 Taster's Choice by John Layman Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell Gumption Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers by Nick Offerman Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard The Martian by Andy Weir Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Bream Gives Me Hiccups by Jesse Eisenberg If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1) by Victoria Aveyard The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by Anna Breslaw Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) by Gary Paulsen Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith Binge by Tyler Oakley The Red Pony by John Steinbeck More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera Room by Emma Donoghue Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6) by MaryJanice Davidson Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) by Jean Craighead George Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson This Is What Happy Looks Like (This is What Happy Looks Like, #1) by Jennifer E. Smith Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl

message 2: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I'm also reading A Study in Scarlet for my 'classic book with less than 200 pages'. It'll be my first time reading a Sherlock Holmes story but I'm looking forward to it. After having seen so many adaptations, it'll be great to finally read the source material.

message 3: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I'll also be reading Cinder next year and I read All The Bright Places this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you like it.

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments I'm looking forward to all of them :) They were all on my to read for this year, but it just didn't happen, so going to try again.

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I've done exactly the same thing! There were so many books on my list this year that I didn't manage to get to so I've transferred some of them over to next year to try again.

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 23. The next book in a series you are reading

The Titan's Curse
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan

message 7: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) | 201 comments Cinder and All the Bright Places are awesome, I've read them last year.
I'm reading Vicious for the 'a book about an antihero'- week as well :)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 22. The first book in a new to you series - Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice

Chew, Vol. 1 Taster's Choice by John Layman

message 9: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Jan 09, 2016 11:03PM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments Aline wrote: "Cinder and All the Bright Places are awesome, I've read them last year.
I'm reading Vicious for the 'a book about an antihero'- week as well :)"

With all of this All the Bright Places love, I think I'm going to need to move it up my tbr.

message 10: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 34. A book about mental illness - Fangirl
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

message 11: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Jan 20, 2016 09:42PM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction) - Lafayette in the Somewhat United States

Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell

message 13: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Jan 29, 2016 10:35PM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 31. A work of young adult fiction: Red Queen
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

message 14: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 17. A book with a beautiful cover: The Martian
The Martian by Andy Weir

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 234 comments i'm trying so hard to get through The Martian!! I am only 10 pages in and it's so boring to me!

message 16: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments I had that problem when I tried reading it, but heard the audio was great so got that instead. That really helped me get through some of the slower/more technical parts, plus the narrator was awesome.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 234 comments Thanks!

message 18: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated): All the Bright Places
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
52. A book published in 2016 - Glass Sword
Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard

message 19: by Chealsea (new)

Chealsea Reads It never would have occured to me that Fangirl could be a book about a mental illness. Now that you've placed it in that light, I cant get it out of my head!

message 20: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Mar 14, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 2. A book set in a different continent: The Cuckoo's Calling
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith
10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now: If I Stay
If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman
14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How): Where She Went
Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman
39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list - (A book with a weird/wacky title): Bream Gives Me Hiccups
Bream Gives Me Hiccups by Jesse Eisenberg

message 21: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge: Fahrenheit 451
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.): Queen Song
Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1) by Victoria Aveyard
46. A crime story - The Silkworm
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith

message 22: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read - Allegiant
Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

message 23: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited May 25, 2016 02:06AM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name: Hatchet
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) by Gary Paulsen
20. A book with a first name in the title: Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here
Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by Anna Breslaw
40. A novella from your favorite genre - Kindred Spirits
Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell

message 24: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 32. A historical fiction book: Between Shades of Gray
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

message 25: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Jun 11, 2016 06:36PM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 18. A book on a summer/beach reading list: Emmy & Oliver
Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway

message 26: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir - Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler
29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name: Career of Evil
Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith

message 27: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 8. A classic book with less than 200 pages: The Red Pony
The Red Pony by John Steinbeck
35. An award winning book - Room
Room by Emma Donoghue
36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation - More Happy Than Not
More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera
44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public - Binge
Binge by Tyler Oakley

message 28: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I like your list, there are several books I tried to read this year or that I'd like to read :D
More Happy than Not is also my choice for #36.

message 29: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments Oh I hope you like it! It took me a little longer to get into then I was expecting, but I ended up loving it.

message 30: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 12. A childhood classic: Julie of the Wolves
Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) by Jean Craighead George

43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night - Undead and Uneasy
Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 31: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 9. A book that was mentioned in another book: The Outsiders
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago): Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy
Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer
48. A dystopia - The Last Star
The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey

message 32: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't: Cinder
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
13. Reader’s Choice: This Is What Happy Looks Like
This Is What Happy Looks Like (This is What Happy Looks Like, #1) by Jennifer E. Smith
27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion): Furiously Happy
Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

message 33: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 26 comments 26. A book everyone is talking about: The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl