You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > ✮ Kristie's geocaching around the world ✮

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2016 05:21PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Kristie's Travels:

world photo: world 13055186260tD35F.jpg

The Great Wall
1. Mao's Last Dancer
2. Between Shades of Gray
3. The Fireman

Lord Howe Island Group
1. Cocaine Blues
2. On the Island
3. All the Bright Places

Auschwitz Birkenau
1. Pastel Orphans
2. The Auschwitz Escape
3. Breakfast with Buddha

Okapi Wildlife Reserve
1. The Poisonwood Bible
2. An Elephant in the Garden
3. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:18AM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Extra Locations Completed

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2016 05:16PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Locations In Progress

1. Set in Mali
2. Set in a university
✓3. Fahrenheit 451

1. About the Galápagos Islands Undercurrents
✓2. Turtle in Paradise
✓3. Odd Thomas

Location: *North America - United States: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
✓1. Moloka'i
2. About volcanoes Ashfall
✓3. The Coincidence of Coconut Cake

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2016 05:19PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Places to visit:

Six continents (as defined by YLTO's standards)
1. North America
2. South America
✓3. Europe
✓4. Africa
✓5. Asia (mainland)
✓6. Australia (includes islands south of mainland Asia)

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Planning:

*Asia - India:
Taj Mahal
- Read a book set in India Secret Daughter or Tiger's Curse
- Read a book about a great love The Song of Achilles or The Sweet Gum Tree? (The Danish Girl?)
- Take Home Item – White Marble: Read a book with a predominantly white cover (70%) and with minimal black on it. No other colors are allowed. In the Woods

In the Woods by Tana French

*Australia - Australia/South Sea Islands:
Lord Howe Island Group
- Read a book set in Australia The Forgotten Garden or The Light Between Oceans or The Darwin Elevator
- Read a book set on an island On the Island
- Take Home Item – Bird: Read a book with the word “Bird” in the title, or a bird on the cover To Kill a Mockingbird or I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings or Nest or All the Bright Places

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Nest by Esther Ehrlich All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

*Africa - Democratic Republic of Congo:
Okapi Wildlife Reserve
- Read a book set in the D.R. of Congo The Poisonwood Bible
- Read a book with elephant(s) in the story. Leaving Time or Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo or An Elephant in the Garden
- Take Home Item – Feather: Read a book with a feather on the cover or the word in the title. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender or Daughter of Smoke & Bone or Red Rising

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown

Europe - list follows

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 20, 2016 10:11AM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments More planning

Europe - Iceland:
Surtsey
- Read a book set in Iceland Burial Rites
- Read a book about a volcano Ashfall (also in Hawaii) or Curses and Smoke or Pompeii
- Take Home Item – piece of lava: Read a book with a black rock on the cover. As Simple as It Seems?

As Simple as It Seems by Sarah Weeks

Italy:
Venice and its Lagoon
- Read a book set in Italy The Light in the Ruins
- Read a book set in Venice
- Take Home Item – Gondolier’s Scarf: Read a book with a predominantly red cover (70%) You Slay Me or The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard or The Lotus Palace

You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1) by Katie MacAlister The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard (Coco Pinchard, #1) by Robert Bryndza The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1) by Jeannie Lin

France:
Decorated Cave of Pont d’Arc, known as Grotte Chauvet-Pont d’Arc, Ardèche
- Read a book set in France The Elegance of the Hedgehog or Sarah's Key or The Perfume Collector
- Read a book about painting The Danish Girl
- Take Home Item: - Piece of Charcoal: Read a book with a dark grey or black cover (70%) The Passenger

The Passenger by Lisa Lutz

Greece:
Archaeological Site of Olympia
- Read a book set in Greece
- Read a book based on Greek mythology
- Take Home Item – Fig Leaf (some of those statues are missing something): Read a book with a statue on the cover or the word is in the title.

Poland:
Auschwitz Birkenau
- Read a book set in Poland Milkweed or Pastel Orphans
- Read a book about WWII where Auschwitz is either the setting, the destination, or the threat. The Auschwitz Escape
- Take Home Item – Prayer Shawl: Read a book with a devout character Breakfast with Buddha

Spain:
Santiago de Compostela (Old Town)
- Read a book set in Spain The Shadow of the Wind
- Read a book about a pilgrimage - The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
- Take Home Item – Scallop Shell: Read a book with shells on the cover. The Sign for Drowning?

The Sign for Drowning by Rachel Stolzman

United Kingdom (Britain, North Ireland & Scotland):
Giant's Causeway and Causeway Coast
- Read a book set in North Ireland or Ireland A Week in Winter
- Read a book with a giant in it. The Demigod Diaries
- Take Home Item – Emerald: Read a book with a predominant green cover (70%) The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley

United Kingdom (Britain, North Ireland & Scotland):
Tower of London
- Read a book set in England
- Read a book involving the Tower of London
- Take Home Item – Crown: Read a book with a crown on the cover or the word in the title. Glass Sword

Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard

Denmark:
Stevns Klint
- Read a book set in Denmark The Forgotten Girls
- Read a book about meteorites, comets, astroids that have hit the earth or threaten the earth.
- Take Home Item – Fossil: Read a book about fossils.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Even more planning

extras:
Asia - China:
Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang
- Read a book set in China The Great Zoo of China
- Read a book in which there are dragons Magyk or His Majesty's Dragon
- Take Home Item – Jade: Read a book with the word “Jade” in the title or subtitle. Throne of Jade (Sea Jade? The Jade Rabbit? Being Jade? Shades of Jade? Sure Fire (Rich & Jade #1)?)

South America - Brazil:
Rio de Janeiro: Carioca Landscapes between the Mountain and the Sea
- Read a book set in Brazil
- Read a book that has a statue in it.
- Take Home Item - Photograph of Christ the Redeemer Statue: Read a book where a main character is a photographer Trail of Broken Wings (also has birds on the cover) or The Year of Fog

Australia/South Sea Islands - Singapore:
a. Singapore Botanical Gardens
- Read a book set in Singapore
- Read a book in which a garden is a significant location or gardening a significant activity (The Forgotten Garden)
- Take Home Item – Orchid: Read a book with the word “Orchid” in the title or on the cover

South America - Chili:
Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works
- Read a book set in Chili Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free
- Read a book that is a Rita Award winner or nominee. (You’ve got to know where this inspiration comes from.) Concealed in Death
- Take Home Item – Bottle of Water: Read a book that has water on the cover. The Silent Sister

Thursday Night Widows - set in Argentina
The Windup Girl - Thailand
The Descendants - set in Hawaii

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Monthly planning:

January
✓Africa: Mali (book about books) - Fahrenheit 451
✓South America: Ecuador (MC is a cook) - Odd Thomas

February
Africa: Mali (about books) - The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend (duplicate task)
North America: United States (set in Hawaii) - Moloka'i
Asia: China (there is an army) - Between Shades of Gray
Europe: France (mostly black cover) - The Passenger
Europe: Denmark (set in Denmark) - The Forgotten Girls
Australia: Australia/South Sea Islands (bird on cover) - All the Bright Places
Africa: Democratic Republic of Congo (feather on cover) - Red Rising

March
Asia: China (more than 500 pages) - Bitterblue

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 06, 2016 09:02AM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Books read, but not placed:

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I love Maya Angelou's book! Great start on your planning.

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments When i saw your Galapagos book i thought it said star trek adventures and i wondered what they'd be doing visiting the islands. Lol.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Thanks, Cherie! I really want to read both of my bird books!

Lol, Sarah!

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I am really trying to plug in some of the books I already have into this challenge, which should be easy due to all the different options, but I still keep adding new books. I'm going to have to go through my TBR a bit more carefully or I'll never read anything off it!

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15393 comments Hi Kristie! I was thinking about Moloka'i. I think I'm going to try (as much as possible) to read my sites one at a time, so finishing the three tasks for one site before heading on to the next. I have a Christmassy book planned for Australia so I start with that one (early January and the Christmas tree is still up!), but have Moloka'i in those three tasks as well. So, I think I will read it between mid-January and end of February. Let me know if that would work for you too and if you'd still like to do a buddy read :)

message 15: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2466 comments Loved, loved Moloka'i! I hope you both enjoy it Peggy and Kristie - a great historical fiction - what a fantastic character Alan Brennert created in Rachel.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Sure, Peggy. I don't own that one, but I can get it through my library. If we could plan it for the beginning of February, that would probably be good. I already have a bunch of review books scheduled for January that I'm letting slide in December because I'm trying to wrap up my challenges for the year.

Glad you loved it, Lilisa! I'm looking forward to it. :)

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15393 comments Great Kristie! I'll open up a thread, maybe more people have it listed for the challenge :)

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Excellent! Looking forward to it. :)

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Planning is coming along! Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone. My list is updated and my current gophering is focused on 'set in Venice'. Please feel free to leave suggestions for any tasks that you see listed without a book next to it. :)

message 20: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Funny how you can own a book for so long and not know anything about it except for the author's name. I was gophering for a book set in the D. P. Congo last night. I found one - to get from the library, and then I come to your thread and see you have used The Poisonwood Bible. Yay! Thanks!

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I love when that happens! I was very excited to see where that one was set. :)

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I finally finished my first geocache book, Fahrenheit 451! :) I'm now working on Odd Thomas for my second book.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50051 comments Woohoo! It's nice to get that first one done, isn't it?

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Yes! I feel like I'm finally in the game instead of sitting on the bench watching. :)

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Finished my second book: Odd Thomas. I thought it was really good. I have also started my third and fourth books: Moloka'i and Between Shades of Gray. I expect to shed a few tears... So far, all 4 books are on different continents!

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I finished Between Shades of Gray. I thought it was excellent. I would definitely recommend it and I will read more by this author.

Third book completed, third location started. I'm continuing with my 4th book, Moloka'i, which starts my 4th location.

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I finished Turtle in Paradise. I thought it was ok, not great, but a cute read. I gave it 3 stars. Now, I just need to read a book set in Galápagos Islands to complete my first location! :D

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I see your books when you add them to your TBR and laugh, because I can tell what task they were chosen for. Not just yours, but you have been posting quite a few lately.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Haha...I'm sure you recognize a lot by trying to do them all! I have mine all mixed up now. I'm just going to pick a few locations and see if I can get through them.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I finally finished my first site!! Woot!!!

ASIA - CHINA
b. The Great Wall
Mao's Last Dancer
Between Shades of Gray
The Fireman

message 31: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Yay!!!!!

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Thanks, Cherie! I'm very excited about it! :)

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 29, 2016 08:22AM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Finished my second location! I may make it!!

c. Lord Howe Island Group
Cocaine Blues
On the Island
All the Bright Places

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50051 comments Two more sites (six books) and two months to go! It's doable. :)

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I've already read some of them too, so I just have 6 books to complete the six continents. :)

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50051 comments Yeah! Sounds like you could get two badges by the end of the year.

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Yes! I'm so excited. I wasn't sure I'd even make the first part, but I've been trying to focus on this now. It might be tight, but I think I'll get there.

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments You can do it!

message 39: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Thanks, Cherie!

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15393 comments Great job Kristie!

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Thanks, Peggy!

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 25, 2016 07:07PM) (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I just finished Breakfast with Buddha, which completes Poland for me. One more book and I've completed the challenge! Only 2 books after that to complete all the continents. :D

Currently reading:
The Poisonwood Bible to complete Africa

Plan to read:
Ashfall for North America
Undercurrents for South America

message 43: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments We are neck and neck. I have less than 100 pages in The Orenda and then two books to finish all the tasks too. My last book will be The Moonstone for North America.

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I won't finish all the tasks, just visit each continent. So, I will finish 6 locations. That is amazing that you will finish every location. Good for you, Cherie! You're almost there.

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments December is getting busy! I hope I can finish all 6 sites. I will at least finish the original challenge. I just need to finish my current book, The Poisonwood Bible. I think the book is good, but the narrator is not.

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments I finished The Poisonwood Bible, which completes the Congo for me! That is my fourth location!! Woot!

Okapi Wildlife Reserve
1. The Poisonwood Bible
2. An Elephant in the Garden
3. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50051 comments I'm so glad you were able to finish it, Kristie.

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Thanks, Janice! I'm so happy about it. :)

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Great job, pounding away at those last books! I am glad you could finish too! I have two of your Congo books on my Geo list that I never got to (1 and 3).

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14209 comments Thanks, Cherie! If you end up reading The Poisonwood Bible do not listen to the audio. The narrator was terrible and took away from the story. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read a physical copy.