You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main > Janice on Detour 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2016 08:31AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments My four sites and 12 books:

North America:

✔ - Dinosaur Provincial Park - Canada

✔ - 1. - Green Grass, Running Water (set in Alberta)
✔ - 2. - Jurassic Park (about dinosaurs)
✔ - 3. - The Bone Garden (bone in title)

Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

Europe:

✔ - Tower of London - England
✔ - 4. - The Killer Next Door (set in England)
✔ - 5. - Hatshepsut's Collar (about the Tower of London)
✔ - 6. - Red Queen (crown on cover)

The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters #2) by A.W. Exley Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Asia:

✔ - Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang - China

✔ - 7. - Lost in Translation (set in China)
✔ - 8. - His Majesty's Dragon (there be dragons)
✔ - 9. - Throne of Jade (jade title)

Lost in Translation by Nicole Mones His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik

Australia:

✔ - The Tasmanian Wilderness

✔ - 10. - The Rainbow and the Rose
✔ - 11. - The Wicked Girls (Prison is significant.)
✔ - 12. - One Foot in the Grave (paranormal fantasy)

The Rainbow and the Rose by Nevil Shute The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost

☛ = currently reading
✔ = read
♦ = abandoned

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:43AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Well, one site anyway. It had to be Alberta, and it had to be Dinosaur Provincial Park which used to be my stomping grounds when I was a kid. It was a short drive away and we would go for picnics and wander around the dunes looking for bones. I found mostly cactus.

I shall keep building my list as I gopher... oh yes, there were lots of those in the area too. :)

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Oct 20, 2016 08:04AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Rounding out the continents:

Africa:

Timbuktu - Mali
✔ - Sahara (set in Mali)
✔ - A Symphony of Echoes (university setting)
✔ - The Library at Mount Char (book about books)

Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) by Clive Cussler A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #2) by Jodi Taylor The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

South America:

Lines and Geoglyphs of Nasca and Pampas de Jumana - Peru
✔ - 4. - The Book of Human Skin (set in Peru)
✔ - 5. - Leviathan Wakes (set in Space)
✔ - 6. - The Bird Eater (bird in title)

The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn

message 4: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I like the sound of your Alberta book. I have the Tess Gerritsen book on my TBR. I haven't decided if I really like her writing style although I read all of her Rozzoli and Isles books. Some were good, some not so much.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Cherie wrote: "I like the sound of your Alberta book. I have the Tess Gerritsen book on my TBR. I haven't decided if I really like her writing style although I read all of her Rozzoli and Isles books. Some were g..."

I would really recommend Under This Unbroken Sky, set in southern Alberta near where I grew up.

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Yes I have that one down for Alberta if I decide to go for that site. Thanks for the recommendation Janice.

message 7: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Thanks for the Alberta rec!

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I've gophered all I'm going to do for now. I'll see how I progress through the year.

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Same here. I'm guessing as we read books we'll find ones that will fit criteria without planning for it.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Sarah wrote: "Same here. I'm guessing as we read books we'll find ones that will fit criteria without planning for it."

Exactly. I ended up buying quite a few books for series kills and consequently my tbr is worse than ever. I want to avoid that this year.

Of the 18 books I have listed, I had already earmarked 3 of them for Audible downloads (have the credits), 4 are available at my library, and the rest I own.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I see you have The Orenda listed. Loved that book!

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Dec 07, 2015 06:21AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I've had Lord of the Flies on my tbr for ages, but some negative reviews from friends stop me from actually picking it up. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I've been looking forward to reading it for a long time and it's finally reached the top of the list.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Peggy wrote: "I've had Lord of the Flies on my tbr for ages, but some negative reviews from friends stop me from actually picking it up. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it."

I'm guessing one of those is mine...

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments It's just over 6 hours, so I'll barrel through even if I don't like it. I remember having to read it for high school but I don't remember all that much about it.

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Is the author narrating it Janice? That's the version I listened to if so.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Yes, the one I have it read by the author.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I've started my first read of the challenge -

Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta
Task 3 - take home item Fossilized Bone

The Bone Garden
The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

So far, I'm really enjoying this tale. It's kind of nice to read a straight forward mystery after all the urban/paranormal fantasies I've been drawn to lately.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 22, 2016 05:42PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I've finished my first read of the challenge (The Bone Garden) and really enjoyed it. We're off with a great start.

The second book has been started - Jurassic Park and it's promising to carry on the torch.

Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta
Task 2 - about dinosaurs

Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 22, 2016 05:49PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Book 3/12 done -

Tower of London - England
Task 1 - set in England

The Killer Next Door
The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood

I decided to swap out the book I had originally planned for this site.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Feb 05, 2016 05:41AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Book 4/12 done
Site 1/4 complete

Dinosaur Provincial Park - Alberta
Task 1 - Set in Alberta

Green Grass, Running Water
Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King

message 22: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nchigh) | 543 comments How do you put the check marks and other symbols in the comment field?

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I just do copy and paste. That's the easiest way. Here's a website with a bunch of special characters.

message 24: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nchigh) | 543 comments thank you ☻

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Mar 06, 2016 03:33PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I almost committed a cardinal sin! I'm reading Under Heaven and realized I could swap it out for the book I had already slotting in for China. I rearranged my planning sheet, and then realized that I'm currently reading it for the monthly challenge!

Even I balk at my own rules apparently! Now I have to go back through the task list (which I track on a spreadsheet) to make sure I haven't got any other monthly challenge book earmarked for a task.

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Book 5/12 done

Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang - China
Task 2 - There be dragons

His Majesty's Dragon
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I may have to swap one of my sites around. I read The Orenda for a site that isn't one of my original 4. I had planned on reading all 4 original sites before I dove into to the other two. Best laid plans, as they say.

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Book 6/12 done

Tower of London - England
Task 3 - Crown on cover
Red Queen
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I'm not going to finish Space. I looked at it this morning and I only have may 1/3 of it read. I can't get enthused to pick it back up again. Off to gopher.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Another book bit the dust. That is, another dfn. I've swapped The Daughter of Time out and replaced it with Hatshepsut's Collar. It may not give me the information I wanted about the Tower of London, but it's a light frivolous book and I might make my way through it!

My space replacement is Leviathan Wakes. Now, time to get reading. I'm getting behind in my goals with this challenge.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Revamping yet again! The Tasmanian Wilderness has replaced Nasca & Pampas de Jumana in the four original tasks. South America has been punted down to the 6 continents part of the challenge, and Lord Howe has been turfed.

I think I have myself thoroughly confused.

message 32: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10002 comments Janice wrote: "...I think I have myself thoroughly confused. ..."

WHO was your travel agent?

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I think it was Madame Tuttifruiti. She works for Star Gazing Universal Tours. Their motto is, "Take a tour on the astral plane without ever leaving your chair." I think it's a sure fire way to lose your mind.

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments You should rename your thread "Janice on detour" ;-) unless you're not going to go to those places after all.

message 35: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Sarah wrote: "You should rename your thread "Janice on detour" ;-) unless you're not going to go to those places after all."

Oh, good one, Sarah!

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments LOL! Great suggestion, Sarah. :)

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16703 comments Sarah wrote: "You should rename your thread "Janice on detour" ;-) unless you're not going to go to those places after all."

oh... there goes some of my Yorkshire ale out my nose...

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments ROFL! I hope you have one of the plastic keyboard protector thingys on your computer, Rusalka. Ale would give sticky keys a whole new meaning.

message 39: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16703 comments Pfft. What is this, 1995? I like to live dangerously! And sticky

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Finished the second site - Tower of London, with Hatshepsut's Collar. It wasn't quite what I had in mind for my Tower of London read, but it got the job done.

I just have 2 books left to read to finish the challenge. Woot!

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments Had to make another detour. I discovered the book I had chosen as set in China was actually set in Indonesia. I've decided to read Lost in Translation instead.

I had a lot of indecision in finding a replacement for some odd reason. I tend to read mostly historical fiction when reading about China and it just seemed same old, same old when gophering. Maybe this contemporary story will be the ticket.

The other thing I noticed is that my local library has little selection for books set in China. Even the digital section was woefully lacking. I could have used ILL for most of my options, but it seemed odd that there wouldn't be more available locally.

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I noticed you changed the title of your thread :-) Yes most China books tend to be historical fiction. I've found a Sci fi for China with The Three Body Problem (can't link right now, I'll sort it later).

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments The Three-Body Problem looks interesting. You'll have to let me know what you think once you've read it.

I shouldn't have to detour too much more since I only have a couple of books to go to finish the challenge.

message 45: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I like the Detour!

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Janice wrote: "The Three-Body Problem looks interesting. You'll have to let me know what you think once you've read it."
I'll let you know when I get to it. After the buddy read in June, I'm going to finish off a couple of my sites for the geocache, China and Australia being the main ones.

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Lol, you actually changed your thread title :D

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments LOL! If I keep detouring, I might actually arrive at the destination some day.

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47149 comments I've read 11/12 books and finished 3 sites. I just finished The Rainbow and the Rose which finished The Tasmanian Wilderness site.

One more book and I will be finished all four sites.

message 50: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Sweet, Janice!

« previous 1