Genre Readers looking to expand discussion

Archives- Monthly Reads > December 2015 Monthly Genre: POETRY

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1208 comments Mod
The winner of the write in poll was POETRY!

What kind of poetry do you enjoy? Please share here your favorites, or not so favorite.

What will you be reading this month?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1208 comments Mod
This may be one of my least favorite things to read, I like the rhythm of poetry but I don't always get it.

I have Homeand Apart From Loveby Uvi Poznansky on my TBR list so I will give them a try.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I do enjoy reading and writing poetry. I am going to be reading one of the books on my 12 book list. My favorites are by Whitman and Dickinson.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished A New Red A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups Poems by Lana Ayers by Lana Ayers and was absolutely blown away. I really couldn't put it down, especially because it was like a novel in verse. Not one continuous poem--there were individual poems within chapters--but the flow of one into the other told a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end.

message 5: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 625 comments Heidi wrote: "I just finished A New Red A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups Poems by Lana Ayers by Lana Ayers and was absolutely blown away. I really couldn't put it down, especially because it wa..."

I absolutely love books in verse. I'm going to have to check that one out.

message 6: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 625 comments I'll be reading a book in verse for this one. Love, love, love them. I'm always amazed by the depth of stories that can be told with so few words. Can you tell I'm excited about this month's challenge!

One of my favorite poets is Gwendolyn Brooks and the poem that really hooked me was We Real Cool. I also love Robert Service's poem, The March of the Dead.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

So good to hear, Lea. Lana is excellent. Happy reading!

message 8: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 625 comments Today I read Hidden by Helen Frost , a book in verse. This one was in our school library and actually recommended to me by one of my students. This is an excellent story, but the coolest thing was that at the end of the book the author reveals a little trick she used when writing that results in a type of secret message hidden in the words at the ends of one of the character's lines. Great book!

message 9: by Lea Ann (last edited Dec 30, 2015 06:20AM) (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 625 comments https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2...

Thought I'd share this here. A list of award-winning books in verse from 2015.