Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Leavenworth Case
This topic is about The Leavenworth Case
The Leavenworth Case > The Leavenworth Case, Week 4, Book IV - The Problem Solved

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1109 comments Mod
We will discuss Book 4 in this thread. This is also the section where the entire book is discussed, so there is no need for spoiler alerts.

Anastasia Kinderman | 649 comments Mod
I just finished it and....wow!!! I'm gonna need some time to process this book! I stayed up late last night reading it because I couldn't put it down.

Sara (phantomswife) I finished last night and the culprit was just who I suspected and for the reason I had imagined as well. Didn't detract from fun of the read, though. Could any character in life have been as clueless as Raymond?

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (crossreactivity) Sara wrote: "Could any character in life have been as clueless as Raymond?"

I doubt it, but there had to be a vehicle to lead us down the false paths and prolong the mystery, and it was done well considering Green was forging new ground. I can see why she was so influential in the mystery genre. I'd like to read more of her work.

Sara (phantomswife) ♪ Kim wrote: "Sara wrote: "Could any character in life have been as clueless as Raymond?"

I doubt it, but there had to be a vehicle to lead us down the false paths and prolong the mystery, and it was done well ..."

I would also like to read other of her books. I understand Gryce makes a reappearance in several. I'd like to see how she develops his character over time.

As soon as I finished it I went out and bought several of her other works on Amazon. Many of them are available for free in ebook format as well. :)

Sara wrote: "I finished last night and the culprit was just who I suspected and for the reason I had imagined as well. Didn't detract from fun of the read, though. Could any character in life have been as cluel..."
Did you suspect the culprit because of some clues at the beginning or because he seemed the least likely at the time?

Sara (phantomswife) Anastasia wrote: "Sara wrote: "I finished last night and the culprit was just who I suspected and for the reason I had imagined as well. Didn't detract from fun of the read, though. Could any character in life have ..."

He behaved suspiciously, especially with the dream story. He had no problem sitting in the chair where Mr. Leavenworth had died and doing business as usual, and I thought it would have to be someone who would want to protect Mary, since she was the most credible suspect otherwise.

message 9: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is an interesting article about how Anna Green developed some of her plots: http://motherofmystery.com/articles/p...

message 10: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is an article by Anna Green in which she explains why humans like to read about crime: http://motherofmystery.com/articles/i...

message 11: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hilarious letter written by Ebenezer Gryce to Sherlock Holmes: http://motherofmystery.com/articles/h...

message 12: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

Is beauty a blessing? http://motherofmystery.com/articles/b...

message 13: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is a link to several articles about Anna Katharine Green: http://motherofmystery.com/articles/

message 14: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new) - rated it 5 stars

From the second article Emily posted, I think this is very insightful: "ANNA KATHARINE GREEN, the famous American writer of detective stories, says, in the article beginning on this page, that the motive behind nine tenths of the crime in the world is Selfishness.
“All the crimes committed to gain money are rooted in selfishness. So are the crimes people commit to be freed from some obligation or duty which they are too selfish to meet . . . . It is self, self, self, all the way through. If mothers and fathers would analyze crime as I have, it would be a terrible warning to them not to bring up their children to think that their desires and their feelings are the supreme consideration.
“Root out Self and you would practically eliminate crime.”"

message 15: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara (phantomswife) Anastasia wrote: "From the second article Emily posted, I think this is very insightful: "ANNA KATHARINE GREEN, the famous American writer of detective stories, says, in the article beginning on this page, that the ..."

I'm sure many of our foibles could be traced back to selfishness.
I enjoyed the letter to Sherlock Holmes as well.
Thanks Emily.

message 16: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "From the second article Emily posted, I think this is very insightful: "ANNA KATHARINE GREEN, the famous American writer of detective stories, says, in the article beginning on th..."

So true.