Bright Young Things discussion

The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic
This topic is about The Cruelest Miles
Group Reads Archive > December 2015- The Cruelest Miles by Gay Salisbury

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer W | 1002 comments Mod
I have this one out from the library and plan to at least skim it if not reread it entirely. The 2 things that I remember from my previous reading was 1)what an awful, awful disease diphtheria is and 2)how impressed I was with the dogs and the dog sledders to navigate truly miserable and inhumane conditions.

Connie G (connie_g) | 162 comments I read this a few years ago, and was amazed that people and their sled dogs could survive in such bitter cold conditions with barely a trail to follow. Having a smart, strong lead dog was the difference in whether the sledders lived or died under those conditions. It was a very dramatic story.

message 4: by Jan C (new) - added it

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments I have picked this one back up again. Not real far in.

But, having just read The American Plague: The Untold Story of Yellow Fever, the Epidemic that Shaped Our History by Molly Caldwell Crosby, I am interested to see the comparison of reactions to epidemics.

I read the prologue last night and I may be hooked!

I read up to chapter 4 last night and I was again horrified by how awful diphtheria is. Thank goodness for vaccines and modern medicine!

Katy (kathy_h) I am loving this book. This fall my husband & I spent a couple of weeks in Alaska (never got to Nome though) and were in Fairbanks where the story of the epidemic is the stuff heroes are made of.

I enjoy the mix of Alaska history, Native Eskimo history, dog and dog sledding history along with the heroic story of the epidemic.

I'm jealous, Kathy, Alaska is on my bucket list!

Katy (kathy_h) Jennifer W wrote: "I'm jealous, Kathy, Alaska is on my bucket list!"

Do it. It was an amazing trip.