Children's Books discussion

Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
This topic is about Ramona and Her Father
Fiction Club Archive > December 2015 - Ramona and Her Father

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine | 160 comments The votes are tallied and it will be Ramona and her Father for the December 2015 read. Happy reading through the end of the year!

message 2: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (last edited Dec 02, 2015 08:26AM) (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6162 comments Mod
Yay! I love all the Ramona books, as did my son when he was, um, about 8, and I read them all aloud to him as we snuggled. This is one of the richest. It also received a Newbery Honor designation. It's number 4 in the set, each book covering about a year in the Quimby's life, but it is not necessary to read them all or in order.

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Yes, Cheryl, this is a wonderful series. I used Romana and Her Father as one of my third grade reading core books.

Manybooks | 6881 comments Mod
I think I have this on my ipad, and an old paper copy.

message 5: by Manybooks (last edited Dec 05, 2015 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

What I found a bit annoying whilst reading some of the reviews is the fact that some individuals actually are faulting and even condemning the fact that smoking is featured. First of all, this book was written at a time where smoking was not yet seen as negative and as unhealthy/lethal as it is now. Secondly, and even more importantly, smoking is NOT glamourised in this book, but is roundly criticised (unhealthy, too expensive, can start fires and so and so on and so on), and both Beezus and Ramona are constantly at their father to quit smoking. And therefore, I really do not understand the negativity in the reviews that take issue with the fact that smoking is featured (if smoking was portrayed as glamorous and grown up, perhaps, but that is not ever the case, it is seen and portrayed as a bad, unhealthy an potentially dangerous habit, as well as very expensive, especially considering that Ramona's father has just lost his job). The only thing that mildly annoys me is the fact that when Beezus and Ramona talk back to their father, take their father to task with regard to his smoking, the mother does not interfere when he verbally chastises his daughters (yes, he does later admit to Ramona that she is right, but the mother should have defended her daughters as well, and not just remained silent).

I kind of feel that the ending is a bit rushed and incomplete, sort of like stopping the story in medias res. Loved the themes, the story, but the ending was a bit annoying, like the author just stopped with Ramona's sheep performance.

message 7: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new) - added it

I'm still planning to read this, so I'll pay special attention to the end. I have a feeling that your perception is accurate, but that Cleary ended that way on purpose. After all, this book is part of a series, and it's supposed to resemble real life, in which things don't come to a resolution.

message 8: by Agatha (new)

Agatha (agatharodi) | 3 comments A great book to read and offer as a gift as often as you can!

Jane | 69 comments Gundula wrote: "I kind of feel that the ending is a bit rushed and incomplete, sort of like stopping the story in medias res. Loved the themes, the story, but the ending was a bit annoying, like the author just st..."

I agree with you Gundula. It would appear that the story continues in the next book Ramona and Her Mother.

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Dec 28, 2015 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane wrote: "Gundula wrote: "I kind of feel that the ending is a bit rushed and incomplete, sort of like stopping the story in medias res. Loved the themes, the story, but the ending was a bit annoying, like th..."

I have read quite a few series, and for most of them, even the ones that are not really stand alone books, the ending is at least what I would call an ending, and I did not really find that here, the book just stops. I still really enjoyed the story, but it really needs a more fleshed out ending, in my opinion.

message 11: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane | 69 comments So, I have finished Ramona and Her Father. Overall it was a cute quick read. Ramona's tenacity at trying to get her father to quit smoking was quite admirable. My own children tried for years to"help" their grandparents quit. They were not quite so successful.

Ramona was her fun quirky 8 year old self, a bit refreshing, honestly. A kid being portrayed as a kid. I loved the scene where Ramona and Howie are walking on tin cans and singing at the top of their longs.

The most poignant part of the story is after Ramona's father lost his job and the cat attacked the carved pumpkin. Ramona wants to know if grownups realize that children worry about their parents.

I agree with Gundula as well. The ending did feel rushed and incomplete. My edition had the first chapter of the next book, Ramona and Her Mother. The story picks up with the New Year's Day party and her father returning to work.

message 12: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new) - added it

Ok, I finished. And tears came to my eyes again. Even though there are modern characters that can be compared to Ramona and the other Quimbys (notably Clementine) none match Cleary's creations, imo.

The ending is odd. It seems as if there's a page missing, almost; it is indeed abrupt. Otoh, it ends on a high note. It's Christmas, Ramona is wearing the (incomplete) costume her mother managed to make for her, she's met some nice big girls, her father has a job again and is trying hard to quit smoking, and all is right with the world. Her friend Davey showed her how to wag her lamb tail, and she does so to release her joy. The End.

I felt supremely satisfied, and was much more able to close this book with a smile on my face than I could on any HEA or other typical ending.

My two cents. :)

message 13: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new) - added it

Btw, I hope all your editions retain the illustrations by Alan Tiegreen... - ?

Cheryl wrote: "Ok, I finished. And tears came to my eyes again. Even though there are modern characters that can be compared to Ramona and the other Quimbys (notably Clementine) none match Cleary's ..."

The ending does make me want to now read the rest of the series, so perhaps this was an interesting narrative tool by Cleary. However, if I had been reading the book when it first came out (I did not, this was my first sojourn into Ramona Quimby territory) I would have been annoyed at the abrupt ending and likely having to wait until the next book was published.

I did a bit of a double take when Vancouver was mentioned, until I realised, duh, this is Vancouver, Washington, amd not Vancouver, British Columbia.

message 15: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane | 69 comments Cheryl wrote: "Btw, I hope all your editions retain the illustrations by Alan Tiegreen... - ?"

Unfortunately no, my edition had illustrations by Jacqueline Rogers.

message 16: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new) - added it

Well, I looked for examples of work by Jacqueline Rogers and did find a cover of this book by her. Cute enough, but not the same. :nostalgic sigh:

Loyalty to a childhood favorite always affects my objective evaluation.

Gundula, I hope you enjoyed this book half as much as I do the whole series, despite its imperfections! Are you considering reading any others?

Cheryl wrote: "Well, I looked for examples of work by Jacqueline Rogers and did find a cover of this book by her. Cute enough, but not the same. :nostalgic sigh:

Loyalty to a childhood favorite a..."

Of course, I will probably start at the beginning and do the whole series in order.

message 18: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new) - added it

:smiles:

Steve Shilstone | 184 comments Jane wrote: "So, I have finished Ramona and Her Father. Overall it was a cute quick read. Ramona's tenacity at trying to get her father to quit smoking was quite admirable. My own children tried for years to"he..."
I liked it a lot and agree with you, Jane, that Cleary made Ramona a real living breathing kid.