Space Opera Fans discussion

The Heretic (Beyond the Wall, #1)
This topic is about The Heretic
Previous BOTM Threads > The Heretic by Lucas Bale

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

What if the government controlled travel, access to technology, even procreation? There is no freedom. The origins of Earth, of humanity, are hidden as lies.

The Heretic (Beyond the Wall, #1) by Lucas Bale Lucas Bale

Here's the full synopsis:

Earth is gone.

Centuries have passed since life ended on the blue planet. Humanity's survivors are now dispersed among distant colonies, thousands of light years from the barren, frozen rock that was once their home.

At a time when power means everything, the ultimate power, the imperium, rests with the Consulate Magistratus. In return for its protection, citizens must concede their rights absolutely. The Magistratus controls interstellar travel, access to technology, even procreation. Every citizen is implanted with a device to monitor their location, health and emotions. Freedom, religion and self-determination are anachronisms. Humanity's true history survives only in whispers of a secret archive.

Yet there are those who preach a new religion and who want to be free.

In the cold of a winter's night, a small village is the subject of a brutal attack. A fourteen-year-old boy, Jordi, sees armed men approaching and manages to wake his family. He and a handful of survivors flee into the frozen, snow-covered forest to wait for the preacher who told them their way of life was based on lies.

Shepherd, a freighter-tramp and smuggler, is commissioned to deliver illicit medical supplies to a hostile border planet near the Wall. He is dragged into a fight he does not believe in and a desperate struggle to protect his ship, his way of life and the lives of the persecuted few who seek only freedom.

A revolution is coming…

ARE YOU READING THE HERETIC? Shout it out in the comments thread below, find a book buddy to read along with you, and come back here to talk about this intriguing book. Just remember to be kind and use the spoiler .html so you don't ruin the fun for somebody who isn't so far along.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

message 2: by EJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 117 comments Woooo! Let's see, when did I read this...late summer, I guess. There are a lot of classic space opera elements, but there's a little bit of a post apocalyptic twist too. I still haven't had a chance to read the other two books in the series, but based on the ratings, it looks like it only gets better from here!

Jason Braida | 51 comments I'm in...always willing to try a new (to me at least) series.

J

John Abbott | 73 comments This is a great book! It had me going for a long time. I have the second one, I just have to find time to read it.

message 5: by Anna (last edited Dec 02, 2015 09:13PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) You should go to his website. It's like super-blingy with flashy spaceships and cool stuff. And a couple of free short stories. I have website envy now 3:-)

message 6: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul | 1 comments Looks great. Adding to my reading list.

message 7: by Fiannawolf (last edited Dec 04, 2015 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fiannawolf | 163 comments *checks kindle*

Ahh yes, in the 400 or so book backlog of TBR. Help. Along with Defiance.

*addendum: My whole tbr pile is already bought....I have a serious case of "collect all the books, eventually read them, then loose more money" syndrome.

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 302 comments Anna wrote: "You should go to his website. It's like super-blingy with flashy spaceships and cool stuff. And a couple of free short stories. I have website envy now 3:-)"

I was intrigued and I went, but it's obviously too flashy for my poor computer. Bought the ebook, though...

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Fiannawolf wrote: "*checks kindle* Ahh yes, in the 400 or so book backlog of TBR. Help..."

I'm sure that NOBODY here has any idea what you're talking about 3:-)

[*moi? A book-hoarder?*]

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 302 comments I read this in two days, which is very fast for me, but it was a lot shorter than I expected. Good fun and the Firefly influences are everywhere. I'm not sure I'm hooked enough to pick up the rest of the series. My review is here.

Jason Braida | 51 comments I'm at the 45% mark...really enjoying it thus far...and Steph is right...the Firefly references are there but not so patently obvious to make it seem like a rip off. Shepherd is certainly no Captian Mal.

Jason Braida | 51 comments Wow...that was a good read...and fast. I really enjoyed this book. I found the Juxtaposition between the high technology of the Magistratus / Core and the primitive frontier world conditions of Herse particularly interesting. I will definitely be adding the next in this series to my TBR list.

message 13: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Abbott | 73 comments Jason wrote: "Wow...that was a good read...and fast. I really enjoyed this book. I found the Juxtaposition between the high technology of the Magistratus / Core and the primitive frontier world conditions of Her..."

Yep, I think so as well.

message 14: by Lucas (new) - added it

Lucas Bale (lucasbale) I don't know if it's good form to comment myself, but I wanted to say thank you to Anna for selecting the book and for everyone who has read it and taken the time to review and/or comment. I'm currently beavering away on the finale to the series and it's lovely to come here and see readers enjoying my work.

Firefly was an influence way back when I started thinking about the series, certainly, and my aim was to pay a subtle homage to the show through the first book. Some have considered it less subtle than others, but I still enjoyed doing it! It was my debut novel, so a big learning experience for me – in fact, the last eighteen months have been something of a rollercoaster. Long may it continue!

Anyway, thank you all again and Happy New Year!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Heretic (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lucas Bale (other topics)