The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 30.4 - Ava Catherine's task: Plein Air

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:17PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10887 comments Mod
30.4 - Ava Catherine's task: Plein Air

This is a two book task. Read one book from two different options.

**No books with the main page genre childrens or kids may be used for this task.**

Required: State the options you chose when you post.

Option 1 - The impressionists differentiated themselves from previous generations of French artists by working en plein air (in the open air). To appreciate the impressionists love of nature, read a book with an outdoor setting. At least fifty percent of the book must occur outdoors.
Required: When posting, state how your book qualifies for an outdoor setting.

Option 2 - Realistic portrayal of light was a major element of Impressionist art. Share the impressionists’ enthusiasm of light by reading a book with the word “light” embedded intact in the title/subtitle.

Option 3 - Absinthe became popular as an alcoholic drink in late 19th and early 20th century, especially among Parisian artists and writers. Absinthe traditionally has a natural green color (peridot green) and is commonly referred to in historical literature as “la fee verte” (the green fairy).
To celebrate the popularity of absinthe among the Parisian artists, read a book with a green cover. At least 80% of the cover must be green. Required: Include the cover when you post.
Examples that will work:
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley The Orchard A Memoir by Theresa Weir Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer Animal, Vegetable, Miracle A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
Examples that will NOT work:
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - too blue and white instead of green
The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi - this is teal, too blue to count

message 2: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 15, 2015 10:41PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Option 1 (50% of setting occurs in outdoors)

Approved:
Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer The High Mountains of Portugal A Novel by Yann Martel Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer A Walk in the Woods Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson Fire Season Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout by Philip Connors The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick The Long Hitch Home by Jamie Maslin The Road by Cormac McCarthy

message 3: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 04, 2015 08:46PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Option 2:
Approved:

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Tóibín The Daylight Marriage by Heidi Pitlor An Hour Before Daylight by Jimmy Carter The Lighthouse (Adam Dalgliesh, #13) by P.D. James The Lighthouse by Alison Moore The Celtic Twilight Myth, Fantasy and Folklore (Paperback) by W.B. Yeats They Marched Into Sunlight War and Peace Vietnam and America, October 1967 by David Maraniss To Conquer the Air The Wright Brothers and the Great Race for Flight by James Tobin

message 4: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 14, 2015 09:22AM) (new)

message 5: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments reserved

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10887 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 650 comments Would you consider this cover to be green?
The Condition by Jennifer Haigh

message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Will this work for an outdoor setting?

A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray

message 9: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments OK for option 3? A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3) by Jennifer Haymore

message 10: by Suzanne (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:44PM) (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments For Option 2, can "light" be part of a larger word, i.e. Twilight or Lighthouse?

message 11: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Would these books work?

For option 1, outdoor setting (the GR description says it's part road trip)
The High Mountains of Portugal A Novel by Yann Martel

For option 3, green book cover:
Dangerous Allies (Ruby Danger Series, #1) by Rickie Blair

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim | 634 comments Do any of these work for option 3:

One Plus One A Novel by Jojo Moyes

Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie

Let Me Tell You New Stories, Essays, and Other Writings by Shirley Jackson

The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Thank you.

message 13: by Deedee (last edited Dec 01, 2015 10:11PM) (new)

Deedee | 2066 comments For Option 3:
Some clearly work, like:
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) by Sue Grafton Martians, Go Home by Fredric Brown Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen When Red is Black (Inspector Chen Cao #3) by Qiu Xiaolong

others, not so clear that they would work, like:
Memory and Dream (Newford, #2) by Charles de Lint The Venetian Bargain by Marina Fiorato Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2) by Frank Herbert Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard The House on Fortune Street by Margot Livesey After Rome A Novel of Celtic Britain by Morgan Llywelyn London Falling (Shadow Police, #1) by Paul Cornell Trespass by Rose Tremain

A bit of guidance would be helpful -- thanks!

message 14: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments As option 2 states that the word "light" may be embedded in the title, is a word like "flight" acceptable?

message 15: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments And seeking approval for green covers:
How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer My 'Dam Life Three Years in Holland by Sean Condon The Heavens Rise by Christopher Rice

message 17: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Would any of these work for Option 3?

The Storyteller's Daughter A Retelling of The Arabian Nights by Cameron Dokey The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #1) by Robin McKinley The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1) by Patricia A. McKillip The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

message 18: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3868 comments Would Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth work for option 3?

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3868 comments How about Twilight for option 2?

message 20: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will any of these work Until Beth (Life & Beth, #1) by Lisa Amowitz Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulos The Revelation of Louisa May by Michaela MacColl

message 21: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Would you consider this cover to be green?
The Condition by Jennifer Haigh"

Approved

message 22: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Hi, just checking on this one for a green cover. Thanks!

Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski

message 23: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Bea wrote: "How about Twilight for option 2?"

Approved for option 2

message 24: by Nicola (last edited Dec 02, 2015 04:54AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Connie can you please clarify your 80% green? Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer looks more like 50% for instance - well maybe not :-) but the white writing is surely covering more than 20%. Are you not considering writing as part of the cover?

Even this one Animal, Vegetable, Miracle A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver , by the time you work out the space that the red parts take up, add in the hands, the black ferns and all of the black and white writing, it would be pushing past the 20% as well.

message 25: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:27AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments JennRenee wrote: "will any of these work Until Beth (Life & Beth, #1) by Lisa AmowitzMaterial Girls by Elaine DimopoulosThe Revelation of Louisa May by Michaela MacColl"

The Revelation of Louisa May and Until Beth are approved for option 3

message 26: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 04:47AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Bea wrote: "Would Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth work for option 3?"

Approved for cover

message 27: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Trish wrote: "Is Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout okay for option 1?"

Approved for option1

message 28: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Camilla wrote: "And seeking approval for green covers:
How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer My 'Dam Life Three Years in Holland by Sean Condon The Heavens Rise by Christopher Rice"

All three books approved for option 3

message 29: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Camilla wrote: "As option 2 states that the word "light" may be embedded in the title, is a word like "flight" acceptable?"

Works for me.

message 30: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3868 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth work for option 3?"

Approved for cover"

Thank you! I was a bit worried because the GR cover seems to show a whiter area above the city scape, but my actual cover is green all the way to the bottom. So glad you approved it.

message 31: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:04AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Deedee wrote: "For Option 3:
Some clearly work, like:
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) by Sue GraftonMartians, Go Home by Fredric BrownLucky You by Carl HiaasenWhen Red is Black (Inspector Chen Cao #3) by Qiu Xiaolong

others, not so clear tha..."

(The books above are also approved)

Approved (80% green cover)
The Revelation of Louisa May
The Venetian Bargain
After Rome: A Novel of Celtic Britain
London Falling
Trespass

message 32: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Will this work for an outdoor setting?

A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray"

I don't get enough from the summary to tell me that 50% occurs outdoors. Am I missing something?

message 33: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Lindsey wrote: "OK for option 3? A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3) by Jennifer Haymore"

Approved option 3

message 34: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Suzanne wrote: "For Option 2, can "light" be part of a larger word, i.e. Twilight or Lighthouse?"

Absolutely

message 35: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 08:02PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Pia wrote: "Would these books work?

For option 1, outdoor setting (the GR description says it's part road trip)
The High Mountains of Portugal A Novel by Yann Martel

For option 3, green book cover:
[b..."

Approved for option 1 and option 3

message 36: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments My bad--- I thought you meant the cover --- not the story.
Thanks.

message 37: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Kim wrote: "Do any of these work for option 3:

One Plus One A Novel by Jojo Moyes

Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie

Let Me Tell You New Stories, Essays, and Other Writings by Shirley Jackson

[bookc..."

All books approved for option 3

message 39: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:25AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments puppitypup wrote: "Would any of these work for Option 3?

The Storyteller's Daughter A Retelling of The Arabian Nights by Cameron Dokey
The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen are approved.

message 40: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Answered through msg # 20. If I missed you, please let me know. I certainly didn't mean to overlook anyone.

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments Is this green enough? Howards End by E.M. Forster

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments Will any of these work?

April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13) by Carolyn Hart The Valcourt Heiress (Medieval Song, #7) by Catherine Coulter The Devil's Elixir (Templar, #3) by Raymond Khoury

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "For Option 2, can "light" be part of a larger word, i.e. Twilight or Lighthouse?"

Absolutely"

To the Lighthouse let it be then!

message 44: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments BTW, I picked this for my green cover, might as well check it while i'm in the thread:

The Spanish Cape Mystery (Signet) by Ellery Queen

Also, I don't need it, but it occurs to me A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail is perfect for the Outdoor Setting task, some editions have a mostly green cover that might work for that task, and there's a new paperback edition out now since Robert Redford made a movie of it last year.

message 45: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Will this work for option 3?
Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1) by Tim Dorsey

message 46: by Marty (new)

Marty (martymill) | 212 comments Is this green enough?

The Door by Magda Szabó

message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 697 comments Any of these work for Option 3?
The Velvet Promise (Montgomery #2) by Jude Deveraux ] Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1) by Harlan Coben The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2) by Tess Gerritsen The Aloha Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #16) by Jennifer Chiaverini

message 48: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Does this work for Option 3?

message 49: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3397 comments Is this green enough for option 3?
The End of the Wasp Season (Alex Morrow, #2) by Denise Mina
Not sure with the shading

message 50: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3397 comments I have more green covers for option 3. Are any Green enough?
Wicked Plants The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart

or Doctor In Clover by Richard Gordon

or Meditations in Green by Stephen Wright

or Survival of the Sickest A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease by Sharon Moalem

« previous 1 3