Children's Books discussion

Book Talk > Christmas themed books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 767 comments Mod
We're a little over three weeks away from Christmas now, so I think it's time to talk about our favourite holiday reads.

So, what are your favourite books to read at Christmas?

message 2: by Victoria (new)

My absolute favourite Christmas stories are The Bear Father Christmas Forgot by Diana Kimpton, The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen, and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

I also think And What Do You Want For Christmas? by Rosemary J. Peel, Attack of the Sugar Plum Fairies, A Story for Demented Children by John H. Carroll, Christmas with Norbert by James Sutherland, Santa in a Shopping Cart by Josephine Heltemes, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss, and 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore, are great reads.

Plus, you may enjoy my own Christmas stories: Kero Celebrates Christmas, A Very Degu Christmas, and The Forgotten Angel.

message 3: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 69 comments I must say that no Christmas is complete without How The Grinch Stole Christmas! It perfectly captures to true meaning of Christmas by teaching the Grinch what that is :)

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Madeline wrote: "I must say that no Christmas is complete without How The Grinch Stole Christmas! It perfectly captures to true meaning of Christmas by teaching the Grinch what that is :)"

Absolutely!

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Blackwood (ellieblackwood) Don't forget A Charlie Brown Christmas! My family watches the movie almost every year at Christmas.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Ellie wrote: "Don't forget A Charlie Brown Christmas! My family watches the movie almost every year at Christmas."

Good call. I've never read the book version of it though.

message 7: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 69 comments I think to craft a good Christmas story, it has to capture the true meaning of Christmas or at least that it is more than presents under the tree. Other books about Christmas seem to bore me. Does anyone else feel that way?

message 8: by Victoria (new)

I agree that those books that capture the true meaning of Christmas are the best kind. But I think the other kind can be enjoyable too.

You should also bear in mind that sometimes the message is more subtly hidden, and it isn't always clear at first glance whether there will be a message about the true meaning of Christmas hidden among the presents, so to speak. So, I think all of them should be given a chance.

I will admit though, that if given the choice between two books I have read, where I know one captures the true meaning of Christmas, while the other is the kind where Christmas is just mentioned as a pile of presents under the tree, I'd pick the former; especially when reading to a child.

message 9: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 69 comments Victoria wrote: "I agree that those books that capture the true meaning of Christmas are the best kind. But I think the other kind can be enjoyable too.

You should also bear in mind that sometimes the message is m..."

I agree. Especially when reading a book to a child, you must really be sure to explain the deeper meaning, so that superficial things don't blur their understanding.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Thanks for posting your recommendations, Jen! :)

message 12: by Victoria (new)

I know we're nowhere near Christmas, but I read an amusing Christmas story called Rudolph Saves Christmas the other day, and wanted to give it a mention here.

message 13: by Beverly (last edited May 14, 2019 10:27PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) Madeline wrote: "I think to craft a good Christmas story, it has to capture the true meaning of Christmas or at least that it is more than presents under the tree. Other books about Christmas seem to bore me. Does ..."

Although Madeline posted this 4 years ago, I am familiar with several picture books that capture the true meaning of Christmas, that were not mentioned already. Here is just a sampling:
Christmas by Jan Pieńkowski
Who Is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski
The Friendly Beasts: An Old English Christmas Carol by Tomie dePaola
A Child is Born by Margaret Wise Brown
Who Was Born This Special Day? by Eve Bunting
The Christmas Story by Kay Chorao

Christmas by Jan Pieńkowski Who Is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski The Friendly Beasts An Old English Christmas Carol by Tomie dePaola A Child is Born by Margaret Wise Brown Who Was Born This Special Day? by Eve Bunting The Christmas Story by Kay Chorao

message 14: by Victoria (new)

Thank you for sharing those, Beverly.

Feel free to add to any of the discussion threads if you feel you have something relevant to contribute. Regardless of the age of the posts in it.

message 16: by James (last edited Oct 18, 2020 06:13AM) (new)

James Pujals (cvgbooks) | 6 comments I may be late to this party, but I agree with Madeline. I love Christmas; it is my favorite time of the year, and my wife and I celebrate it throughout the entire season.

To us, Christmas is not just about the presents and the trees and the parties; it is about joy, happiness, peace, friendship, and kindness; it's about sharing with family, friends and strangers; and about contemplating life as a miracle, and seeing the good in everything and everyone.

Notwithstanding, I also think it's about innocence and wonder and magic, and the purity of spirit that young children carry as they experience life for the first time.

To me, that's what the presents and the trees and the parties represent: they take us back to a time when we regarded the world as a beautiful and wondrous place, full of possibilities; where legends were true history, and Christmas morning was pure magic.

A good Christmas story is one that captures all that and wraps it in a neat package with a nice ribbon and bow. That's why some of the stories mentioned above transcend time and inspire us.

I wrote one myself, inspired my by granddaughters. Although I do not pretend to be a great author like some of those referenced here, I think it does capture some of the magic and splendor of Christmas -- or at least that was my goal.

It's about fantasy and adventure, about coping with fear of the unknown, about overcoming difficult challenges on your own, and about the magic and splendor of Christmas morning. But most importantly, it's about respect and friendship, and looking beyond the obvious facades of others, in order to glimpse at their true self.

And that is what ignites in me the spirit of Christmas. :)

- j.

Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost of Christmas Presents

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Well said, James!

And, no. You aren't late to the party. Feel free to make recommendations on any of the book threads if you have something to contribute.

message 19: by Victoria (new)

Excellent choices, Sophie. At least, I know the ones I've read are. Might have to check out the others.