Space Opera Fans discussion

Remnant Population
This topic is about Remnant Population
Previous BOTM Threads > Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Dec 01, 2015 05:03PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

What if the inhabitants of your colonized world shipped off for greener pastures, leaving you behind to live out your remaining days in blissful solitude, alone in your beloved garden?

And then the crew of a visiting ship are slaughtered, leaving you to recognize you are not the only inhabitant of your chosen paradise?

That's the premise behind Elizabeth Moon's first-contact scenario, Remnant Population.

Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon Elizabeth Moon

Here's the official synopsis:

For forty years, Colony 3245.12 has been Ofelia’s home. On this planet far away in space and time from the world of her youth, she has lived and loved, weathered the death of her husband, raised her one surviving child, lovingly tended her garden, and grown placidly old. And it is here that she fully expects to finish out her days–until the shifting corporate fortunes of the Sims Bancorp Company dictates that Colony 3245.12 is to be disbanded, its residents shipped off, deep in cryo-sleep, to somewhere new and strange and not of their choosing. But while her fellow colonists grudgingly anticipate a difficult readjustment on some distant world, Ofelia savors the promise of a golden opportunity. Not starting over in the hurly-burly of a new community . . . but closing out her life in blissful solitude, in the place she has no intention of leaving. A population of one.

With everything she needs to sustain her, and her independent spirit to buoy her, Ofelia actually does start life over–for the first time on her own terms: free of the demands, the judgments, and the petty tyrannies of others. But when a reconnaissance ship returns to her idyllic domain, and its crew is mysteriously slaughtered, Ofelia realizes she is not the sole inhabitant of her paradise after all. And, when the inevitable time of first contact finally arrives, she will find her life changed yet again–in ways she could never have imagined. . . .

ARE YOU READING REMNANT POPULATION? Shout it out in the comments thread below, find a book buddy to read along with you, and come back here to talk about this intriguing book. Just remember to be kind and use the spoiler .html so you don't ruin the fun for somebody who isn't so far along.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments I've just finished it! I liked it a lot - in fact the more I read of it, the more I liked it. Looking forward to discussing it!

message 3: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Norimann (jnorim) The brief synopsis looked interesting so I decided to give this book a shot. Just managed a few pages so far. Its too early to conclude anything but it seems written in a nice easy going style. Perhaps too nice? We'll see... :)

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teresa Carrigan | 2396 comments Mod
I have read this one several times and reread it a week or two ago. I particularly like having the main character an elderly woman showing character growth.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I've heard Elizabeth Moon speak at the BOSKONE sci-fi convention a few times. Her way of explaining science 'live' is easygoing and interesting, just like in her books :-)

message 6: by Cari (new)

Cari Silverwood (carisilverwood) I bought this and will try to read it though my reading has fallen away for some years. It sounds interesting and I've read some other book of hers, I'm sure. Love the glimpses I've seen of the story in rviews.

message 7: by Jemima (new) - added it

Jemima Pett | 150 comments Crikey - I'm just checking it out and others have finished already. Sigh. Better go find it and read it!

message 8: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Norimann (jnorim) Having read 1/5 of the book I am starting to wonder if this qualifies as science fiction at all. And although it may just pass as SF, where is the Space Opera part?

Oh well I guess I better read on and find out.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I depend on YOU guys to figure that out when you nominate. Some of her stuff is more space-opera=ish than others.

message 10: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Norimann (jnorim) Anna wrote: "I depend on YOU guys to figure that out when you nominate. Some of her stuff is more space-opera=ish than others."

Let me assure you my comment above was not directed at you personally.

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments Teresa wrote: "I have read this one several times and reread it a week or two ago. I particularly like having the main character an elderly woman showing character growth."

I also liked the main character being an elderly woman. I really enjoyed her.

message 12: by R. Michael (new)

R. Michael Litchfield (rmichaellitchfield) | 28 comments I feel vaguely PC for this but a huge part of why I liked this book is because the protagonist is a old uneducated abuella. After so many male (and female) protags with perfect bodies and unmatched intellect I really dig reading a story about someone much more relatable.

So I am in my mid (ok late) 40s. The world is no longer my oyster the way it was when I was younger. I really like stories that remember not everyone is a 20something heinleinian ubermensch.

Marianne | 5 comments I read this a few years ago. I liked it pretty well. The older character was an interesting change-of-pace. There wasn't a lot of action, but that fit the story.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) R. Michael wrote: "I feel vaguely PC for this but a huge part of why I liked this book is because the protagonist is a old uneducated abuella. After so many male (and female) protags with perfect bodies and unmatched..."

I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine (i.e., two middle-age women griping about all the nubile young things in literature). It's nice to have a variety of ages represented in fiction :-)

message 15: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
That's one of the things I liked about the Tanyth Fairport fantasy series by Nathan Lowell. The lead character is a middle aged woman who develops magical powers as a side effect of menopause.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Hah! It's called the power of 'I don't give a hoot anymore.' 3:-) Magically freeing.

message 17: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
:D

message 18: by Cari (new)

Cari Silverwood (carisilverwood) Lol

message 19: by Jon (new)

Jon Abbott | 48 comments Abuella - si. I think that the way of governing proposed would be so much better than what we have today.