Indie Book Collective discussion

What's New > New Amazon Books Bookstore

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Bugaeff | 23 comments This is a heads up, not an ad. Amazon has opened its first bricks-and-mortar bookstore. It’s in Seattle.

I followed up to see if I could get my books in it and learned the following: Amazon Books is a physical extension of Amazon.com. Books are selected for the store based on customer ratings, pre-orders, sales, popularity on Goodreads, and Amazon curator's assessments.

So, obviously and not surprisingly, Amazon.com controls what books go in and it looks like they have an algorithm (you think they wouldn’t?) to make the decision. Also, check the website linked here: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&n...

Note that the books are displayed cover out. Rumor has it that this is the first of very many.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 133 comments I saw that article and will follow it with some interest. How strange that a business would establish the state of the art delivery mechanism, begin turning serious profits, rattle the entire retail industry's cages... then go on and open Bricks and Mortar stores? It feels like they're not even reading their own press. It's a big risk, and I don;t expect a good outcome for them, but I may be completely off-base here.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Bugaeff | 23 comments I think their research of buyers shows a significant number want to have physical books in their hands before they buy and that this group is big enough that Amazon wants to capture their business. They must have worked out the cost-benefit of each square foot of a store (interesting that they show book covers out - against conventional wisdom supposedly maximizing floor space with spine out display).

message 4: by Richard (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:14AM) (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 133 comments Bricks and Mortar seems an expensive showcase. Cover out is a showcase kind of merchandising. Most BM stores will do a bit of it near the registers/counter. I know that to get into the Amazon-marketing algorithm you need at least 25 reviews. My biggest selling book has.... voila: 23! Phooey!

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Bugaeff | 23 comments At B&N you pay extra for cover out. In fact, you pay extra for everything.