Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Randy's 2016 Old & New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (last edited Jan 16, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Randy Jin (goodgolden) My Old School Books
1. Victor Hugo: Les Misérables published 1862
2. Oscar Wilde: The Picture of Dorian Gray published 1890
3. Friedrich Nietzsche: Beyond Good and Evil published 1886

My New School Books
4. Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude published 1967
5. Boris Pasternak: Doctor Zhivago published 1957
6. James Joyce: Ulysses published 1920

My Wild Cards
7. Milan Kundera: Immortality published 1990
8. Milan Kundera: The Book of Laughter and Forgetting published 1978 20150106
9. Milan Kundera: The Joke published 1967
10. Milan Kundera: Laughable Loves published 1963
11. Milan Kundera: Identity published 1996 20160102
12. Milan Kundera: Ignorance published 2000 20160116
13. Milan Kudera: Farewell Waltz published 1972

Alternates
A-1. Jack London: The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories published 1906
A-2. Ernest Hemingway: The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories published 1961

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Definitely a good set of books for a challenge. Happy Reading.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I read (listened) to "Les Miserables" with this group early this year--loved it. Now I want to read "The Hunchback of Notre Dame."

message 4: by Randy (new)

Randy Jin (goodgolden) Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I read (listened) to "Les Miserables" with this group early this year--loved it. Now I want to read "The Hunchback of Notre Dame.""

Yeah, definitely, I had read the Hugo's books in Chinese, when I was in high school. after that I just had no motivation to completely finish them any more. This time I will try my best.

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy Jin (goodgolden) Kathy wrote: "Definitely a good set of books for a challenge. Happy Reading."

I am reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being now, and just cannot put this book aside. I plan to read more Milan Kundera in next year. This is also my personal challenge :-)

message 6: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Wow, a lot of Kundera in this! I have only read The Unbearable Lightness of Being and I must say that I didn´t care for it that much.

On the other hand I really loved Les Mis and The Picture of Dorian Gray is good too :)

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Interesting list, Les Miserables is one of the best books I’ve ever read. All I can advise is be patient it has its rough spots. I hope you get to your first alternate, Jack London writes stories that are full of adventure, he’s a favorite, I’ll be reading something written by him next year, just haven’t decided. Good Luck!

message 8: by Randy (new)

Randy Jin (goodgolden) Bob wrote: "Interesting list, Les Miserables is one of the best books I’ve ever read. All I can advise is be patient it has its rough spots. I hope you get to your first alternate, Jack London writes stories t..."

I love Jack London's works so much. Sea-Wolf, White Fang, and the Call of the Wild, always with ambitions and power.

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy Jin (goodgolden) Desertorum wrote: "Wow, a lot of Kundera in this! I have only read The Unbearable Lightness of Being and I must say that I didn´t care for it that much.

On the other hand I really loved Les Mis and The Picture of D..."

Victor Hugo's are the best ones to understand the forgiveness and self-redemption.