J.D. Robb discussion

In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Naked In Death Buddy Read - Jan. 2016 (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 591 (591 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Jan 09, 2016 07:46AM) (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10171 comments Mod
We hope you'll join us as we begin our journey back through the In Death Series. I'll be posting more information soon as we prepare to get started.

Plot introduction:

New York Police and Security Department detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas's main suspect in the death of a high-profile prostitute is the enigmatic Irish businessman, Roarke, in 2058.

The Many Covers of Naked In Death

Naked In Death Map

Synopsis:

In a world of danger and deception, she walks the line--between seductive passion and scandalous murder...Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant hunting for a ruthless killer. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all--and knows her survival depends on her instincts. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish billionaire--and a suspect in Eve's murder investigation. But passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about--except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.

Characters in Naked In Death

Naked In Death introduces the following characters:

Eve Dallas: Protagonist, NYPSD lieutenant and homicide detective
Roarke: Billionaire businessman. Avid art and gun collector. Owns many businesses and a lot of real estate. He's 6'2" and has blue eyes and black hair.
Captain Ryan Feeney: Dallas's old partner, trainer and mentor. New captain of the EDD (Electronic Detectives Division)
Sharon DeBlass: First murder victim. Licensed companion AKA prostitute. Granddaughter of US Senator
Commander Jack Whitney: Eve's boss
Mavis Freestone: Eve Dallas's best friend who she met after arresting her while on a grift.
Chief Edward Simpson: Chief of the New York Police & Security Department. Has an imposing figure (well over 6 feet) and has political ambitions.
Richard DeBlass: Father of the first victim and friends of Roarke. Lawyer.
Elizabeth Barrister: Wife of Richard DeBlass. Mother of first murder victim and friend of Roarke. Lawyer.
Lola Starr: Licensed Companion. Just 18 years old. Real name Alice Williams.
Nadine Furst: Channel 75 Ace Crime reporter
Dr. Charlotte Mira: NYPSD psychologist & profiler
Charles Monroe: Licensed companion, neighbor of first victim
Summerset: Roarke's butler
Senator Gerald DeBlass: Grandfather of Sharon. Expected to be running for President. He's pompous and arrogant.
Congresswoman Catherine DeBlass: Daughter to Senator Gerald DeBlass. Sister to Richard DeBlass. Aunt of Sharon DeBlass.
Anna DeBlass: Senator Gerald's DeBlass' wife
Caro: Roarke's secretary
Joseph Finestein: Eve's Neighbor, deceased, addicted to sweets
Hetta Finestein: Eve's Neighbor
Franklin Summit: Catherine and Justin's son
Justin Summit: Catherine's husband
Derrick Rockman: The adjutant for the Senator.
Georgie Castle: Third Murder victim
Denise: Receptionist at exclusive salon, Paradise.
Sebastian: Sharon's consultant at Paradise, an exclusive salon.
Samantha Bennett: Georgie's daughter.
Riley: Desk sergeant.
Hennessy: Eve's neighbor.
Galahad – Eve's cat, which she acquires from victim #3

*Naked in Death (1995) is the first book of the In Death series by J. D. Robb, preceding Glory in Death. This book originally had a cover flat produced for it with the name "D. J. MacGregor", but was changed later.

message 2: by Sandra (last edited Jan 04, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

As we embark on our buddy read of the In Death series, there are several things we want to make note of and/or track along the way. Some of the things we’ll be discussing about each book are:

1. Major Events Occurring
2. Milestone Moments
3. Character Introduction/Growth/Relationship Development/Impact on Case/Book/Series
4. Mystery/Police Procedural/Case/Villain
5. Eve’s Metaphors
6. Futuristic Elements
7. Candy Thief Shenanigans

We’re looking forward to a good, in depth discussion each month as we all share our thoughts, feelings, & insight into these books. In order to allow plenty of time for our discussions, we are asking participants to schedule their read of the In Death BR book early in the month so as to be prepared for spoiler zone discussions to start on the 12th of each month.

NOTE: To protect the reading & discovery process for first time readers, please refrain from referencing information and/or events that occur in books beyond the point of our buddy read. We each must treat it as a "first time" read, only discussing events that have occurred up to the point of our buddy read.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

I just have to say how excited I am to begin all over again with Naked In Death! Just reading back through the Synopsis & Character Introductions has me jumping up & down ready to begin!

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just love the first two books! There are so many scenes I go back to again and again and again!

message 5: by Namita (new)

Namita  | 201 comments Looking forward to it....will join the read from Book #: 3 Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) by J.D. Robb

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2253 comments Here we go again. we truly love this series to start again. Aaannddd I've missed it terribly

message 7: by Penni (new)

Penni | 812 comments I think I'm an addict lol.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

I know I am! :)

message 9: by Tanvi (last edited Dec 01, 2015 02:05PM) (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 70 comments I am so glad you're starting this series again. I've only read the first 3 books (and I was blown away!) a couple of years ago but I've been meaning to get back and get through the whole series. So excited to start this series for my first buddy read! :)

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Penni wrote: "I think I'm an addict lol."

You only think you're an addict? I've binged on these for years!

message 11: by Penni (new)

Penni | 812 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Penni wrote: "I think I'm an addict lol."

You only think you're an addict? I've binged on these for years!"

And it's all Sandra's fault :-)

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Not for me! I was addicted on these before I even had a pc or was on the internet!

message 13: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I to am so addicted. can't wait

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Tanvi wrote: "I am so glad you're starting this series again. I've only read the first 3 books (and I was blown away!) a couple of years ago but I've been meaning to get back and get through the whole series. So..."

So happy to be part of your first buddy read and especially with this series, Tanvi! We're going to have a blast with it!

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Penni wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Penni wrote: "I think I'm an addict lol."

You only think you're an addict? I've binged on these for years!"

And it's all Sandra's fault :-)"

This I'll own up to...yep, my fault!! :)

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Not for me! I was addicted on these before I even had a pc or was on the internet!"

I became addicted reading the paperbacks!

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sheri wrote: "I to am so addicted. can't wait"

Me either, Sheri! I'm so ready to start.

message 18: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 197 comments It's one of my favorites and I'm looking forward to the discussion. I'm ready to start.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 193 comments Im going to start with book 3 since I've already read 1and 2. Hope I can remember them.

message 20: by Tanvi (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 70 comments Definitely, Sandra, I can't wait to start! I've already added reminders to my calendar for the To Read section in January.. ;-)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2253 comments Sandra I was also a addict with the paperbacks ! But the first buddy read made it worse. Ladies all I can say is :

Hi! My names Michelle and I'm and In death addict. I need my Eve & Roarke fix like Eve needs her coffee!!!

message 22: by Myst (new)

Myst | 72 comments I started the in Death books last nov. I've made it through #14. So I probably won't be reading along, but I may join in in the discussion.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Michelle wrote: "Sandra I was also a addict with the paperbacks ! But the first buddy read made it worse. Ladies all I can say is :

Hi! My names Michelle and I'm and In death addict. I need my Eve & Roarke fix li..."

LOL Michelle! Can't wait to do this all over again with you and everyone else! :)

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Reading for the first time, rereading, or just joining in discussions - come one, come all!! We're going to laugh, cry, swoon, fuss, and tear this series apart together! Can.Not.Wait.

message 25: by Namita (new)

Namita  | 201 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Reading for the first time, rereading, or just joining in discussions - come one, come all!! We're going to laugh, cry, swoon, fuss, and tear this series apart together! Can.Not.Wait."

Well, when you put it that way....how could I resist!! :)))

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2253 comments You said it Sandra. Can. Not. Wait. And you know we're all Waiting !!!

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Michelle wrote: "You said it Sandra. Can. Not. Wait. And you know we're all Waiting !!!"

Loving your new avi! And the wait will soon be over! :)

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Namita wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Reading for the first time, rereading, or just joining in discussions - come one, come all!! We're going to laugh, cry, swoon, fuss, and tear this series apart t..."

You can't, Namz! Just admit it - you know I'm irresistible...and an enabler! haha Seriously - I can't wait to start again. It's insane since I don't know how many times I've read the first few books - many times! And the entire series straight through - twice already.

message 29: by Namita (new)

Namita  | 201 comments LOL....yes Ma'am..!!! Can't resist!

message 30: by Ness (new)

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments Soool looking forward to this !!!

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Yay Ness! Glad you're joining in!

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2253 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Michelle wrote: "You said it Sandra. Can. Not. Wait. And you know we're all Waiting !!!"

Loving your new avi! And the wait will soon be over! :)"

Thanx Sandra. Other one tho true was just to dark.

message 33: by Sandra (new)

FYI: I've added a link to a Naked In Death Map and a link to the many different covers for Naked In Death in the first post.

More info on our BR coming this week! :)

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 499 comments I AM A VIRGIN. this is why I joined this site to introduce me to ebooks and discussions after. I just got the first book when do I become unvirginized?

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12887 comments Mod
Lol! We begin in January:)

message 36: by Jadzia (new)

Jadzia | 26 comments I'm not sure how many times this makes that I have read or listened to Naked in Death but I'm ready to start again. Definitely an addict.

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Susan wrote: "I AM A VIRGIN. this is why I joined this site to introduce me to ebooks and discussions after. I just got the first book when do I become unvirginized?"

All virgins welcome, Susan! LOL!! And those with more...ahem...experience too! haha We begin Jan. 1, 2016! Welcome aboard!

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Jadzia wrote: "I'm not sure how many times this makes that I have read or listened to Naked in Death but I'm ready to start again. Definitely an addict."

Glad to have a fellow addict to take this journey with...Yay! :)

message 39: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It'll be great. This way we can see what other people think are the best scenes. I can only say, Susan, welcome and .... COFFEE!

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2253 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Susan wrote: "I AM A VIRGIN. this is why I joined this site to introduce me to ebooks and discussions after. I just got the first book when do I become unvirginized?"

All virgins welcome, Susan! L..."

Okay let's be honest. Can we start 4 Jan. I'm planning a recovery period after 1 Jan festivities and I have a few bday in there somewhere. Lol

message 41: by Sandra (new)

LOL Michelle! Start when you like. New Year's Day is normally lazy around my house so I'm hoping to start Jan. 1.

message 42: by Sandra (new)

See Post 2 above for some things we'll be taking a closer look at as we read & discuss each of the In Death books.

Some Things to Track

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2253 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "LOL Michelle! Start when you like. New Year's Day is normally lazy around my house so I'm hoping to start Jan. 1."

I ask start on the 4th but I'll probably start the 2nd. It's been tooooo long since I've had Eve and Roarke in my life.

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2253 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "See Post 2 above for some things we'll be taking a closer look at as we read & discuss each of the In Death books.

Some Things to Track"

Great list. I'm sure we might add as we go along but those you've got are the highlights. And what we really want to keep track of.

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Michelle wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "See Post 2 above for some things we'll be taking a closer look at as we read & discuss each of the In Death books.

Some Things to Track"

Great list. I'm sure ..."

Yeah Michelle...the list is a work in progress for sure. We'll talk about anything & everything. The list is only a reminder of some things we've discussed tracking. Let me know if there are things I should add. :)

message 46: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow | 446 comments oh wow I didn't realize there were so man different cover designs! I knew about a few of those maybe 4 of them Ive seen, but wow sooo man more!!!

message 47: by Sandra (new)

I was also surprised at the vast number of different covers, Vera. Really enjoyed looking at them.

message 48: by Jina (new)

Jina Gibbs Dear Group,
I truly admire Nora Roberts and her ability to write such in depth characters, dynamic plots and sets the scene with such vivid descriptions that you love the heroine and heros, or community players and truly despise the evil villian and end up cheering, crying or being at the edge of your seat and not able to put the book down. I have said many times "just one more chapter and then I will go to bed" HA! Famous last words. Three hours later I would still be reading. I have read everything else she has wrote but none of the "in Death" series yet so I am so looking forward to this new journey. I may have to buy a new book shelf to hold the 40+ books in the series though. Lol. Have a great evening and Happy reading!
Sincerely Yours,
Jina

message 49: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12887 comments Mod
Here's hoping you enjoy the series, Jina!

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Jina wrote: "Dear Group,
I truly admire Nora Roberts and her ability to write such in depth characters, dynamic plots and sets the scene with such vivid descriptions that you love the heroine and heros, or comm..."

Hi Jina! I'm so glad to hear that you'll be joining our buddy read of the series. It's always exciting to share it with new readers and experience that first time excitement through them again. Like you, I first read all of NR's romance novels before discovering the In Death series. I hope you'll love it as much as I do!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12