The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Group Reads - Archives > Poll - January 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Silver (last edited Dec 01, 2015 12:23PM) (new)

Silver It is almost the new year and time to start planning for our first read of the new year.

Please nominate the book you want to read for January.

Only one book per person please.

Dec. 8 will be the last day to nominate.

message 2: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1776 comments Mod
I would like to nominate A Pair of Blue Eyes.

message 3: by Epsilon (new)

Epsilon (epsilon-literario) Frances wrote: "I would like to nominate A Pair of Blue Eyes."

I would like to nominate The Mother by Maxim Gorky

message 4: by Lily (last edited Dec 01, 2015 01:59PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Epiero wrote: "Frances wrote: "I would like to nominate A Pair of Blue Eyes (by Thomas Hardy)."

I would like to nominate Mother by Maxim Gorky"

Is this the book intended, Epiero? (English editions)

Mother by Maxim Gorky or Mother by Maxim Gorky

message 5: by Lily (last edited Dec 01, 2015 02:03PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Frances wrote: "I would like to nominate A Pair of Blue Eyes."

Curiosity question: Does Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye have obvious literary links to Hardy's work? I have not read either.

message 6: by Frances, Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2015 02:52PM) (new)

I have no idea, but I don't think so.

I always thought the Morrison reference was to something associated with being white/Caucasian, while for Hardy writing when and where he did, whiteness would be assumed.

message 7: by Epsilon (new)

Epsilon (epsilon-literario) Lily wrote: "Epiero wrote: "Frances wrote: "I would like to nominate A Pair of Blue Eyes (by Thomas Hardy)."

I would like to nominate Mother by [author:Maxim Gorky|307..."

Yes, this is the book, Lily

message 8: by Lynnm (last edited Dec 02, 2015 08:53AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper

And going to give it a plug in the hopes that it might garner a few more votes:

One, the book looks at the complex relationship between the colonists and the British officers, soldiers, and other administrators, differences that would eventually lead to the inevitable break between the two.

Two, we could discuss the Native American tribes, their customs, and their relationship with both the colonists and the British as well as the poor treatment of Native Americans. Also, we could consider the two extremes when depicting Native Americans in literature and now in film: very good or very bad, with little in-between. Lastly, the idea of the "noble" savage.

Three, the westward movement of the settlers, and the idea of Manifest Destiny.

Four, life for the settlers, particularly in rural areas. Also, differences in women's role in the city vs. very secluded or rural areas.

Five, the natural surroundings (i.e. the environment).

Six, the legacy of books like The Last of the Mohicans and the myths that characters like Hawkeye and Uncas create.

message 9: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Lynnm wrote: "Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper

And going to give it a plug in the hopes that it might garner a few more votes:"

Very nice plug. Not sure it will win my vote, but it certainly will make me think harder about it.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 46 comments The Ape, the Idiot & Other People - if we can nominate a book of short stories for a monthly book?

message 11: by Hedi (new)

Hedi | 938 comments I would like to give Vanity Fair by Wiliam M. Thackeray another try. I have wanted to read this for quite some time and have not gotten to it yet. We had it in the one or other of our earlier nominations some years ago, but it has never made the top of the poll.

message 12: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Lynnm wrote: "Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper

And going to give it a plug in the hopes that it might garner a few more votes:

One, the book looks at the complex relationship between the colonists ..."

Well, you talked me into it :)

message 13: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Janice George (JG) wrote: "Lynnm wrote: "Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper..."

And I'll get to re-read Twain's essay on Cooper!

message 14: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Everyman wrote: "Janice George (JG) wrote: "Lynnm wrote: "Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper..."

And I'll get to re-read Twain's essay on Cooper!"

I did have a dual purpose in mind... Cooper would fill a gap in a chapter in The Novel: A Biographyfor me :)

message 15: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Janice - yeay - one person talked into it!!! :-) And maybe Everyman...

message 16: by Silver (new)

Silver The poll has now been posted. Dec. 15th will be the last day to vote.

message 17: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I'm back to giving a plug for Last of the Mohicans. It is tied with Hardy. We've read Hardy.

For those who would like something different - the Brits vs. the French, settlers in a new world, the changing world and culture of the First Nation tribes, and two of the fictional legends of early American years - Hawkeye and Uncas.

Go Last of the Mohicans!!! :-)

message 18: by Frances, Moderator (last edited Dec 14, 2015 12:58PM) (new)

In the spirit of good-natured competition, I will give a last plug for A Pair of Blue Eyes. We've only read Hardy once, back in 2011, and it was one of his more depressing books (Jude the Obscure). This novel was written early in Hardy's career and helped to set him on the path of writing rather than continuing in his established career (architecture).

I read my first Hardy novel very recently and loved it. I hoped that this choice, an established but lesser known work of his would appeal both to Hardy fans (who may not have read this yet) and to those who have not had a chance to read and enjoy his work.

so...Go A Pair of Blue Eyes!!! ;)

message 19: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments Lynnm wrote: "I'm back to giving a plug for Last of the Mohicans. It is tied with Hardy. We've read Hardy.

For those who would like something different - the Brits vs. the French, settlers in a new world, the ..."

But is it worth putting up with Copper's awful writing?

message 20: by Linda2 (last edited Dec 14, 2015 01:28PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments Frances wrote: "I would like to nominate A Pair of Blue Eyes."
Thanks, Frances. I'm a great fan of Hardy's. With any luck, we might do Under the Greenwood Tree or The Woodlanders soon.

message 21: by Lynnm (last edited Dec 14, 2015 02:00PM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Rochelle - To each their own. I like his writings; it is one of the few glimpses we have of early American life. And obviously, many people feel the same given the popularity of the books - even pop culture references them (for example, Hawkeye in M*A*S*H).

Don't worry. It won't get selected; it never does. But, I will keep trying. I like doing different things now and again. :-)

message 22: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments If we leave it at a tie, maybe the moderators will decide to read them both as the next two books.

message 23: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments I'm actually more disappointed in the number of votes. Not so long ago we were getting forty to seventy votes in the polls. Only eleven votes this month for a very good selection of books? Dismal.

message 24: by Lori, Moderator (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1280 comments Mod
I voted for Cooper since I've already read "A Pair of Blue Eyes." It was good, though!

message 25: by Lily (last edited Dec 14, 2015 09:58PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Lynnm wrote: "Don't worry. It won't get selected; it never does. But, I will keep trying. ..."

I considered tying it up for you, Lynnm. But I am just not in a position to want to commit to reading additional specifics right now. I have never read LotM and am curious, despite its bad rap. But the same was true for Gorky, even though the reviews weren't encouraging.

message 26: by Lynnm (last edited Dec 15, 2015 03:49AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I'm disappointed in the number of votes too. Maybe because of the holidays?

And Hardy is in the lead. I will definitely skip that read. I don't mind having a lot to read, but with the Dickens read starting in January as well, if I do have a lot to read, I would rather have it be something I'm really into reading. Nothing against Hardy - he's great! But we've already read Hardy, and I've read other Hardy's on my own. And I'm into early American history right now and nature - I'll read Cooper again on my own. It's been years and years since I've read the Leatherstocking tales.

message 27: by Rose (new)

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 42 comments Oh! I lost the poll... I would be one more vote! :/

message 28: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Rose wrote: "Oh! I lost the poll... I would be one more vote! :/"

Hi Rose - What do you mean by that - lost the poll?

Could that be a reason why people aren't voting - they can't see the poll? Is it an app thing? Because I can see it on my laptop and tablet via the internet (not the app).

message 29: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4453 comments Mod
Lynnm wrote: "Rose wrote: "Oh! I lost the poll... I would be one more vote! :/"

Could that be a reason why people aren't voting - they can't see the poll? I..."

Not sure why there is a lack of votes. The app is pretty dismal, in my opinion, so I always use the Internet link, even on my phone or iPad. I'm not sure it's the holidays. The voting seems to be decreasing to me as does other participation,

message 30: by Rose (new)

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 42 comments Lynnm wrote: "Rose wrote: "Oh! I lost the poll... I would be one more vote! :/"

Could that be a reason why people aren't voting - they can't see the poll? I..."

I thought the poll has already ended because I didn't find it in the app, but I voted now on the actual site. :)

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 747 comments Everyman wrote: "If we leave it at a tie, maybe the moderators will decide to read them both as the next two books."

Oooo. I love this idea!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I voted for The Last of the Mohicans and now it is in the lead by one point. I will also be reading Our Mutual Friend in January. Looking forward to the start of a great year of reading.

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 747 comments Lol. True! But we won't be doing any sleeping. ;)

message 34: by André (new)

André Neves (andreneves) | 1 comments I would go for The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck

message 35: by Silver (new)

Silver It could be the holidays that has a lot of people too busy/distracted to vote. I thought there would be at least a few more votes than this.

Just a reminder today will be the last voting day.

message 36: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Not to change the subject, but Goodreads looks different...is it just me? Different fonts and colors.

message 37: by Silver (new)

Silver Yeah it freaked me out at first I thought it was my computer doing something wierd.

message 38: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Silver wrote: "Yeah it freaked me out at first I thought it was my computer doing something wierd."

Me too! At least we know that there isn't anything wrong with our computers.

message 39: by Silver (new)

Silver Lynnm wrote: "Silver wrote: "Yeah it freaked me out at first I thought it was my computer doing something wierd."

Me too! At least we know that there isn't anything wrong with our computers."

haha yeah

message 40: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) André wrote: "I would go for The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck"

I just finished re-reading The Grapes of Wrath for the first time in years and years, and it was fantastic. I am so glad I decided to pick it up again. The Pulitzer prize was well-deserved.

message 41: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Janice George (JG) wrote: "André wrote: "I would go for The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck"

I just finished re-reading The Grapes of Wrath for the first time in years and years, and it was fantastic. I a..."

Time for me to re-read it. It's been a long time. And yes, reading it was (and I'm sure will be again) a powerful experience.

message 42: by Lynnm (last edited Dec 17, 2015 04:56AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Silver - I notice that you are the leader for LoM - would you mind if I lead that discussion? I love that book. But it's up to you.

message 43: by Silver (new)

Silver Lynnm wrote: "Silver - I notice that you are the leader for LoM - would you mind if I lead that discussion? I love that book. But it's up to you."

That would be great if you would. I was happy to do it but I am glad to see someone else enthusiastic about it so go fot it.

message 44: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Thanks, Silver! :-)

message 45: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments I see the poll was indeed a tie -- are we doing both? Sorry if this was said elsewhere and I missed it. The home page only has LOM, but there isn't room for more anyhow.

message 46: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4453 comments Mod
Everyman wrote: "I see the poll was indeed a tie -- are we doing both? Sorry if this was said elsewhere and I missed it. The home page only has LOM, but there isn't room for more anyhow."

Yes we are doing one in Jan the other in Feb. Both are listed in future reads.

message 47: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Yes we are doing one in Jan the other in Feb. Both are listed in future reads. .."

Thanks. I hoped that was the case, but they didn't both show up on the home page, so I thought it was better to ask than to assume.

message 48: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments And when you click on the "more upcoming reads" link for some reason it doesn't come up with Hardy, which I had assumed it would, but comes up with the bookshelf.

message 49: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Everyman wrote: "And when you click on the "more upcoming reads" link for some reason it doesn't come up with Hardy, which I had assumed it would, but comes up with the bookshelf."

Scroll near the bottom of the main page, and immediately following "Members," you will see "Upcoming Reads": you'll see it there.

message 50: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Lynnm wrote: "Scroll near the bottom of the main page, and immediately following "Members," you will see "Upcoming Reads": you'll see it there. ..."

You have me lost, Lynnm. Oh, okay, I just found what you mean. Scroll past all the discussion groups, then "EVENTS, FRIENDS, MEMBERS" to "UPCOMING READS". ("BOOKSHELF" follows.)

I wonder why in the world the link below "Upcoming Reads" near the top of the page, called "More Upcoming Reads" doesn't link to "UPCOMING READS" instead of to the bookshelf. A glitch somewhere? But I wouldn't even know how to report it to the gurus that be.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.