Nobody Reads In L.A. discussion

Is Nobody still reading?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I remember seeing this group on Livejournal about 2 years ago, and then stopped reading Lj. I'd love to meet up with some like minded individuals and read some good stuff. Is this group still active?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds like a plan to me! Where did the group meet before? Or where should we meet now? Should we do a poll/suggestion topic for a few books?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That'd be cool. I work DT so maybe we could rotate to include a wider scope of people. Maybe on a thursday or another weeknight??? I just want to get this thing active again :)

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cantabele) | 3 comments I work DT too. Maybe we could have a LA focused read. Something of Chandler's or Connelly's. Gore Vidal's 'hollywood', Fante's 'road to la' or 'bunker hill'.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Cal, uhm, we're not trying to step on anyones toes... we're just trying to get some people together to read. I'd honestly rather have the GM of the group organize it, but as they're AWOL what else are we to do? We didn't say we wouldn't start a new group, or leave this one, but we're just trying to get ideas. No need to be harsh with the acronyms.

Jennifer, Cynthia, would you two like to start a new group, try to get ahold of this Erin figure, or post something on the main page?

Maybe after we get more people we can pick some books?

Part of the reason I came back here initially is because I thought Erin had great taste in books. If we start our own group though, we probably should do something along a bit different lines.?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Dude, what is your problem? Someone sneak you decaf or what? Why don't you back off and let Erin speak for herself. I didn't come here for this and am done with it.

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cantabele) | 3 comments Jennifer I don't think Cal is trying to be rude. Maybe he can step forward and tell us, 'no....I'm really a #(&%$#' but I'm thinking otherwise.

My problem is I LOVE the title of 'nobody reads in la'. It's clever and touches on an urban legend....unless it really is just the four of us reading in LA :(. I need more coffee.

Cynthia

message 8: by Alli (new)

Alli Hartley | 3 comments If there is going to be a book club going on in LA, I'm completely in! I'd been hoping this group would start back up again in some form.

I'm open to reading pretty much anything but Chick Lit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cantabele) | 3 comments Hi Alli,

Nice to hear from you. Here are options I threw out in another post:

Maybe we could have a LA focused read. Something of Chandler's or Connelly's. Gore Vidal's 'hollywood', Fante's 'road to la' or 'bunker hill'.

message 10: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonbrendel) | 9 comments How bout Bukowski's Hollywood?

message 11: by Denise (last edited Jul 29, 2009 02:21PM) (new)

Denise | 1 comments Sorry, to jump on this late. But yes Erin use to hold the book meetings at Counterpoint in Hollywood. I attended when we read "In Cold Blood". Myself and two other people showed up and one was the owner of Counterpoint. Very discouraging to say the least but there was wine, cheese and whiskey so all was not lost. She tried to do one more for a Hunter Thompson book but can't remember if it actually happened or not. Considering very few people are responding to this thread, my suggestion would be to try and have a online book club.

Cal, it sounds like you might have another way of contacting Erin other than the email address given on her contact page. Have you tried?

Erin, if you see this contact me and maybe we can work together on this.

message 12: by Alli (new)

Alli Hartley | 3 comments I just read all of Raymond Chandler's short stories (a month long venture) so I'm a bit Chandlered-out. Any of the others seem cool, though.
I'm also up for both wine and whiskey. I can invite some of my friends if we're looking for more people. I would be less interested in an online book club, but if the group decides that's the best option, that's fine.

So let's see. We have Denise, Brandon, Jennifer, Diana, Cynthia, -Cal are you interested?

So 6 at least, including me. I feel that that seems good for a book club.
Now all we need is a book and a location!
I've always wanted to read the following authors: Tom Wolfe, DH Lawrence, Hunter S Thompson, Tolstoy-I'm sure there are others. Day of the Locust and Bukowski's Hollywood seem like good ideas.
Can I recommend Confederacy of Dunces? If anyone hasn't read it we should.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love any of the above, but I'll vote for Thompson. Not a huge bukowski fan, but even him I'm willing to give a second chance. Beer, wine, and whiskey all work for me. Thursday nights anyone? I'll be coming from dt so the closer the better, but I also hear there are some good bars off the red line stations too. As long as it doesn't take me too long to get home after I'm happy, and I want everyone to feel the same.

I don't want an online group either but some good talk about books over libation. We can get this started again. Does anyone have a suggestion for a new group name??? I have tried to no avail to reach Erin.

message 14: by CLAW (new)

CLAW | 3 comments I want In! but I live in SFV...poo

message 15: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonbrendel) | 9 comments Oh man, I just finished Gravity's Rainbow last week, so I may be all Pynchoned out for a while.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Alli recommended Day of the Locust?

message 17: by Alli (new)

Alli Hartley | 3 comments Does anyone have any interest in David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster?
BTW-credit where credit's due-Day of the Locust suggestion was Cal's.
Does anyone have any suggestions for some quiet bars that aren't rife with horny frat guys and kereoke? If we meet on some weeknight, there's more of a chance that a bar will be quiet. I personally have always wanted to check out the edison-or maybe the library bar in downtown? Thoughts?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, Cal, my apologies. I had just scrolled up to the most recent mention. Consider the Lobster sounds good too!

Weeknights work well for me if the meeting point is close to downtown. The edison on a concert-free night is pretty nice, though dark. Library bar mid-week shouldn't be too busy. I get off work at 4:30 so could try to save a table/spot somewhere DT. If it's not DT though, all bets are off ;)

There is also the Standard hotel rooftop bar. If you get there before 7pm there are lots of places. More living-room style.

I've never tried 7th/grand. Maybe the Library bar or the Standard would be a good first try because it's quiet and bright? I'll have to think of some other places. Maybe we can rotate as well.

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise Loza Hi everyone!! I'm in for the book club. I live out in SGV, so I'm not sure I can meet downtown on a weeknight. Please just keep me posted regardless.

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin (ledahlianoir) | 13 comments Mod
Okay okay I'm back. Discouraged to see so much shit talking on here. If anyone wants to get this started again, then contact me directly (erincourtney2@yahoo.com) I've been hearing "let's get this started again" for months but the last two meetings had terrible turn outs, despite RSVP. Two for Capote, one for Thompson. If someone has a plan to actually get people in attendance then I may consider reactivating this group. Saying you'll be there has proved fruitless. Denise, if your still down, email me. Cal...you're still my fav knife wielding pal.

message 21: by Steven (new)

Steven (goodreadscomstevenkerry) Great name for a book club! The last one I was in was a book club for gay males called "Tails of the City" and they met at Skylight Books in Los Feliz. It was okay but the book discussions were dominated by two men who always started out being civil, but then the claws came out, turning the club more into "Nails of the City". Just tryin' to get a feel for what you guys are reading and talking about. ..Steve

message 22: by CLAW (new)

CLAW | 3 comments @steven it was hard to get people to go to the meetings, but I'm sure if you email Erin, the moderator, erincourtney2@yahoo.com, we can start talking about starting it up again :)