Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > December 2015 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
It's the last month of the year, share your purchases here.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I just received Barely Bewitched (Southern Witch #2) by Kimberly Frost and Halfway Hexed (Southern Witch, #3) by Kimberly Frost from Amazon.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Just got The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6) by Lilian Jackson Braun , The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales by Maria Tatar , and Unleashed (Kate Turner, DVM #2) by Eileen Brady from Thriftbooks.

message 4: by Joshie (new)

Joshie (jgabcdefg) | 17 comments Got these so far:
Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Just received Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2) by Gayla Drummond .

message 6: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments Just bought these

The virgin suicides
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Suicide's Girlfriend
Suicide's Girlfriend A Novella and Short Stories by Elizabeth Evans

White People
White People by Allan Gurganus

Spooky Little Girl
Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro

Pygmy
Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

The Hour I first Believed
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

message 7: by Joseph (new)

A couple more orders arrived: Black Thorn, White Rose by Ellen Datlow Black Heart, Ivory Bones by Ellen Datlow Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8) by Kerry Greenwood A Dickens of a Murder (Canterville Book Shop Mystery 1) by Joyce Lavene

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I received Becoming A Writer by Dorothea Brande and The Oxford Companion to Women's Writing in the United States by Cathy N. Davidson as gifts from my mother.

message 9: by Cammie (last edited Dec 29, 2015 03:59PM) (new)

Cammie | 108 comments December purchases:

Falling Like Snowflakes (Summer Harbor #1) by Denise Hunter These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Love Unexpected (Beacons of Hope, #1) by Jody Hedlund The Christmas Joy Ride by Melody Carlson Lost Lake (Lost Lake, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen I'll Be Home for Christmas A Twilight, Texas Novel by Lori Wilde The Pioneer Woman Cooks Dinnertime Comfort Classics, Freezer Food, 16-Minute Meals, and Other Delicious Ways to Solve Supper! by Ree Drummond The Pioneer Woman Cooks Food from My Frontier  by Ree Drummond The Golden Braid (Hagenheim #6) by Melanie Dickerson Meant to be Mine (Porter Family, #2) by Becky Wade The Inn at Ocean's Edge (Sunset Cove #1) by Colleen Coble Anything for You (Blue Heron, #5) by Kristan Higgins

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I just received: A Good Christmas (Romance with favor and flavor.) by Charmaine Davis

message 11: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Just picked up Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1) by Sara Raasch on ebay because I wound up actually enjoying the second book :)

message 12: by Thom (new)

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Picked up some nice finds from the public library's used book shelf: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak The Ghost of the Mary Celeste by Valerie Martin

message 14: by Joseph (new)

I've been on a bit of a book binge. I went to my local Salvation Army store for the first time and came home with these: Birds of North America by Chandler S. Robbins Autopsies Pathologists at Work by Gary Jeffrey The Kane Chronicles Survival Guide by Rick Riordan The Edge by Dick Francis Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10) by Charlotte MacLeod Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9) by Charlotte MacLeod The Balloon Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #12) by Charlotte MacLeod The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10) by Charlotte MacLeod Chicken Soup for the Golfer's Soul 101 Stories of Insight, Inspiration and Laughter on the Links (Chicken Soup for the Soul) by Jack Canfield Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II by Jack Canfield Chicken Soup for the Soul of America Stories to Heal the Heart of Our Nation by Jack Canfield Life After Life by Kate Atkinson The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) by Jennifer Ashley Smoke in Mirrors by Jayne Ann Krentz A Coral Kiss by Jayne Ann Krentz , picked up these from the library's used book shelf: It's Not the End of the World by Judy Blume Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt The Analects of Confucius by Confucius Coraline by Neil Gaiman and some orders arrived too. From Amazon came: The New Annotated Dracula by Bram Stoker The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett From Russia with Fangs by Molly Harper Writing as Jacey Conrad and from Thriftbooks came: The Weiser Field Guide to Cryptozoology Werewolves, Dragons, Skyfish, Lizard Men, and Other Fascinating Creatures Real and Mysterious by Deena West Budd

message 15: by Kitty (last edited Dec 14, 2015 08:34PM) (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments I promise myself I'll only buy one book but always come away with at least five lol. Just bought...

Dirty Library Twisted Children's Classics and Folked-Up Fairy Tales by Mary Dauterman Rear View Stories by Peter Duval The Scream Queen's Survival Guide Avoid Machetes, Defeat Evil Children, Steer Clear of Bloody Dismemberment, and Conquer Other Horror Movie Clichés by Meredith O'Hayre Brain Droppings by George Carlin Amigoland by Oscar Casares

message 16: by Thom (new)

message 17: by Louise (last edited Dec 15, 2015 01:17AM) (new)

Louise | 280 comments I just got back from London and bought these:
The Zoo, a Going by J.A. Tyler Bodily Secrets  by William Trevor Absolutely Perhaps by Luigi Pirandello Ox-Tales Air by Mark Ellingham The Gallery by John Horne Burns The Rain Came Last & Other Stories by Niccolo Tucci Fishbowl by Bradley Somer Ox-Tales Earth by Mark Ellingham The Confines of the Shadow by Alessandro Spina Grief Lessons Four Plays by Euripides by Euripides Manja by Anna Gmeyner The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness Letter from an Unknown Woman and Other Stories by Stefan Zweig

message 18: by Joshie (last edited Dec 15, 2015 01:28AM) (new)

Joshie (jgabcdefg) | 17 comments Additional books I bought
The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays by Albert Camus What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder You Get So Alone at Times That it Just Makes Sense by Charles Bukowski Psycho by Robert Bloch The Tell-Tale Heart (Little Black Classics, #31) by Edgar Allan Poe

message 19: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Just received Daughter of the Gods A Novel of Ancient Egypt by Stephanie Thornton as part of a Secret Santa :)

message 20: by Ilean (last edited Dec 16, 2015 04:00PM) (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments I had a fifty or Amazon book card I won and purchased the last three books by Ann B Ross, and from Goodreads give always I received The Christmas Note by Donna VanLiere, and Eleanor by Jason Gurley advance reader copy. Still waiting for Wendy Darling to arrive that was part of a win with an I pad mini and necklace watch and skin tattoo for the mini, a picture of Wendy Darling book I put on the iPad .

message 21: by Zonia (new)

Zonia | 3 comments Must be the holiday spirit as I just bought too many books this month, a few by Maryse Condé Maryse Condé and Julia Alvarez's latest book Julia Alvarez .

Enjoy reaching your 2015 Reading challenges!

message 22: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments Just bought these
Candy Girl A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody My Horizontal Life A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler

message 23: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Sonia wrote: "Must be the holiday spirit as I just bought too many books this month, a few by Maryse Condé Maryse Condéand Julia Alvarez's latest book Julia Alvarez.

Enjo..."

I loved Maryse Conde's I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem when we read it in college -- I need to reread it.

message 24: by Joseph (new)

Some more orders arrived: Asking for It (Asking for It, #1) by Lilah Pace The Rising (Darkness Rising, #3) by Kelley Armstrong The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2) by Kelley Armstrong Witchcraft on a Shoestring Practicing the Craft Without Breaking Your Budget by Deborah Blake The Crimson Fairy Book by Andrew Lang Silver Birch, Blood Moon by Ellen Datlow

message 25: by Joseph (new)

One more order: The Cute Girl Network by M.K. Reed

message 26: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments An early Christmas present from Michelle two old books( I love old books) "Not as a Stranger" by Morton Thompson and "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. I had wanted to read War and Peace! Thank you Michelle.

message 27: by Zonia (new)

Zonia | 3 comments Oh, and don't forget legendary chef Jacques Pepins, Heart & Soul in the Kitchen was lucky enough to have this signed!

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I just bought Horror Writing 101 How to Write a Horror Novel by Steve French .

message 29: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments Went to a couple used books stores today and got
Blair Witch The Secret Confession of Rustin Parr by Dave Stern Dark Places by Gillian Flynn A Carlin Home Companion Growing Up with George by Kelly Carlin

message 30: by Lára (last edited Dec 29, 2015 09:36AM) (new)

message 31: by Thom (new)

message 32: by Kitty (last edited Dec 21, 2015 04:20PM) (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments Got this from Amazon this morning
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
And this probably doesn't count cause I didn't buy it it was a christmas gift but I'm still posting it lol.
Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

message 33: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Kitty wrote: "Got this from Amazon this morning
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
And this probably doesn't count cause I didn't buy it it was a christmas gift but I'm still posting it lol.
Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie"

I'm rereading Lolita next month! I remember it being good but not a huge favorite when we read it in college.

message 34: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments Here's the other half of my amazon order from earlier in the week...
Machu My Picchu Searching for Sex, Sanity, and a Soul Mate in South America by Iris Bahr
Plus I went to a thrift store after work today and I could swear someone came along and donated all brand new copies of a bunch of books I've been meaning to buy.
Under the Skin by Michel Faber Julie and Julia My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell The Blind Side by Michael Lewis The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards Geek Love by Katherine Dunn A Million Little Pieces by James Frey Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

message 35: by Harry (new)

Harry | 3 comments I just bought 2 books from Thrift Books. I bought Kim Wilkins books called The Infernal and Fallen Angel.

message 36: by Joseph (new)

Two more of my orders from Thriftbooks arrived: A Root Awakening (A Flower Shop Mystery, #16) by Kate Collins Kittens Can Kill (Pru Marlowe Pet Noir #5) by Clea Simon

message 37: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments More thrift store finds
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Friend gave me for Xmas -

C.S. Lewis Signature Classics by C.S. Lewis

Ordered these from a friend for 60 (covers shipping) -

Pandora Drive by Tim Waggoner Sineater by Elizabeth Massie Darkness Wakes by Tim Waggoner Vamps Deadly Women of the Night by Martin H. Greenberg The Reach by Nate Kenyon Sparrow Rock by Nate Kenyon Bloodstone by Nate Kenyon The Bone Factory by Nate Kenyon The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale Outside the Dog Museum (Answered Prayers, #4) by Jonathan Carroll After Silence (Answered Prayers, #5) by Jonathan Carroll White Apples (Vincent Ettrich, #1) by Jonathan Carroll The Ghost in Love by Jonathan Carroll The Wooden Sea (Crane's View, #3) by Jonathan Carroll Sleeping in Flame (Answered Prayers, #2) by Jonathan Carroll The Marriage of Sticks (Crane's View, #2) by Jonathan Carroll Bones of the Moon (Answered Prayers, #1) by Jonathan Carroll Creatures Thirty Years of Monsters by John Langan

Ordered these from Abebooks -

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1) by Seanan McGuire To The Blight The Eye of the World, part 2 (Wheel of Time, #1-2) by Robert Jordan Murder Can Ruin Your Looks (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #2) by Selma Eichler Hellhound (Deadtown, #5) by Nancy Holzner Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3) by Rob Thurman Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4) by Rob Thurman Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) by Eileen Wilks From the Two Rivers The Eye of the World, Part 1 (Wheel of time, #1-1) by Robert Jordan Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3) by Nancy Holzner Hellforged (Deadtown, #2) by Nancy Holzner Darklands (Deadtown, #4) by Nancy Holzner

Ebooks -

A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2) by K.J. Charles Fairy Cakes by Guy McBryde Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1) by Mary Calmes Christmas Eve on Haunted Hill by Bryan Smith Krampus The Yule Lord by Brom

message 39: by Charles (new)

Charles (cbloky) | 49 comments didn't purchase but received for christmas Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Galbaldon and Career of Evil(Cormoran Strike) series by Robert Galbraith aka J K Rowling

message 40: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Got The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King for Christmas and about to order Spencer's Mountain by Earl Hamner Jr.

message 41: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments One of the books I ordered with a gift card I got for Christmas
Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I just received my Amazon order:

Echo by Alicia Wright Brewster Vampire Miami by Phil Tucker

message 43: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments Got the other book from the amazon gift card my boyfriend gave me for Christmas.
Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim
And these are going to be my last purchases for the month :( thrift store finds
Dirty White Boys by Stephen Hunter Eyes Wide Open  by Andrew Gross White Hot by Sandra Brown The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson Shadowland by Peter Straub The Grownup by Gillian Flynn Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline The Most Beautiful Woman in Town & Other Stories by Charles Bukowski We Thought You Would Be Prettier True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen White Teeth by Zadie Smith

message 44: by Kitty (last edited Dec 31, 2015 04:57PM) (new)

Kitty Nicole (badkitty2437) | 13 comments A friend of mine ordered this for me from thrifbooks
Have You Found Her by Janice Erlbaum