Beyond Reality discussion

The Traitor Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #1)
This topic is about The Traitor Baru Cormorant
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Traitor Baru Cormorant: Finished Reading **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Please let us know if you have read The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson.

Caution: Spoilers are likely in this thread!

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 513 comments Mod
I'm not sure if I liked this book, but I definitely admire it. An unusual plot and character, I found it hard to read. Yet I'm glad I stayed to the end, and I think the book will stay with me for quite a while.

Helen I didn't. I found it really hard to like Baru. I can't see how she thinks she's helping her people.

message 4: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 513 comments Mod
Well, I never said I liked Baru. I might have liked her at first, the brilliant girl who wanted to learn about the stars. But the destruction she left in her wake was overwhelming. And that girl, with so much promise, ended up as physically half-blind as she had been mentally half-blind throughout the story. No, I don't like Baru. But I admire the author who took me on her uncomfortable journey.

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2172 comments Mod
I just finished this. I don't know that I liked Baru that much either, but I loved the book. Especially Tain Hu! (That ending...owwwww).

I know the author is working on a sequel, I'll definitely pick it up.

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I found this kind of a hard book to get through. I thought it was good, but I didn't like the outcome. I can't see things getting any happier in a sequel. I think I would like it better if I didn't feel Cormorant was deluding herself. I don't think she is being totally honest with her own motives anymore. I do think she enjoys power and part of what she is doing is self serving. It isn't completely about her people.