Beyond Reality discussion

Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch, #3)
This topic is about Ancillary Mercy
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Ancillary Mercy: Finished Reading **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie.

Caution: Spoilers are likely in this thread!

message 2: by John (new) - added it

John | 15 comments Good gravy, people, it's Dec. 31 (and, in some corners of the internet, Jan. 1), and no one has commented? What are we coming to?

I just finished. All in all, I enjoyed the ride that Leckie took us on over the three novels, and thought the ending was a satisfying conclusion both to this novel and to the longer arc of the story. I enjoyed my time in the universe Leckie created, and will happily read more if/when she writes it.

message 3: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I finally finished this last night
I have to say I was very disappointed. I like where she went in terms of the story but Sword and Mercy really could of been one book. I really liked the first book. She had a clear concise story. These next two I had no idea where she was going and then the climax she pulls out the AI are "Significant", the Ghost Gate became a non story.
I wasnt happy with her story.
With that said Leckie's writing was still pretty good.

message 4: by Ian (last edited Nov 13, 2016 05:53AM) (new)

Ian Cooper I finished it last night. I think it was a good ending to the story arc. However, I found the book even more confusing than Ancillary Sword, with passages that were unclear (some especially so since I hadn't read some of Ann Leckie's short stories), and difficulties in figuring out who is talking (maybe that's just me). I found these problems in Ancillary Justice to some extent, but the difference is that I relish re-reading that book in order to better understand it, whereas I don't enjoy the sequels enough to want to do that.

I really enjoyed Ancillary Justice, and I really enjoy the way Ann Leckie has fleshed out the world of the first book in the trilogy, but I feel that this is all the second and third book do. On the other hand, maybe that's all the second and third books should do. After all, if Breq had any adventures of the same level of excitement and weight as those in the first book, the series would risk becoming overly melodramatic. Still, I feel it would have been nice if the sequels achieved a similar emotional depth as the first book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ancillary Mercy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Leckie (other topics)