/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
This topic is about Shadows of Self
2015 Book Club Discussions > December 2015: Shadows of Self - Final Impressions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments This is where you can talk about the complete book, spoilers and all

Matt Hageman I read this book last month and loved it. The Alloy of Law was a slight disappointment compared to the first Mistborn trilogy, but Shadows of Self exceeded my expectations. I can't wait for Bands of Mourning next month.

Sanderson is the reason I started reading Fantasy/ reading lots in general four years ago. I know he is one of the most popular fantasy authors now, but he totally deserves to be. The best of the genre (in my opinion).

message 3: by Will (new) - added it

Will | 3 comments I am always impressed with the amount of worldbuilding that goes into a Brandon Sanderson novel, and this was no exception. The additional Cosmere hints (that Twinborn get extra effects, that Bavadin/Autonomy might be interfering on Scadrial) were definitely exciting. The book itself was awesome, especially the ending.

Duncan Mcfarlane | 15 comments I finished the book earlier today, and I definitely enjoyed it. I am a little disappointed we didn't get a better look (or really any look) at what the Set is up to, but I suppose that's what the next two books are for. While I liked the story itself, I am much more curious about the questions that the ending raises. Who is this other god? Are they allied with Odium/Rayse? What Allomantic and Feruchemal effects does the metal associated with them have?

I'm definitely getting the next book when it comes out in a month.

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Wright | 33 comments Alloy of Law is one of my all-time favorite books, and this one goes deeper. The Kandra reveal at the end... I did not see that coming. I thought that she'd have been Bloody Tam, not truly Lessie.

Sazed has a lot of explaining to do in the coming book, I feel.

Also, really enjoyed how Sterris is coming together as a character. At the end of Alloy, I was rooting for Wax to somehow end up with Marisi, but I definitely changed my mind now.

Great book, great series. Can't wait for the next one.

Steve Thomas | 8 comments The treatment of Steris has always left me a little confused. I agree that Alloy seemed to push the reader to root for a Wax/Marasi pairing, but I have to wonder how much of that is simply because of how little screen time Sterris gets. She's interesting when she appears and adds to the dynamic, and it was nice to see her embracing Wax's reckless lawman side, but she's just never around enough to make an impact. I hope she gets a more significant role by the time Sanderson is done with this era.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Tom wrote: "Alloy of Law is one of my all-time favorite books, and this one goes deeper. The Kandra reveal at the end... I did not see that coming. I thought that she'd have been Bloody Tam, not truly Lessie.
..."

I felt that this point was what set this book apart from Alloy of Law. The depth of the history in it, the surprises with the Kandra, the fact it brought the story back to a more overall Mistborn storyline, whereas Alloy of Law was a bit of an outlier. I thought it was handled really well.

Justin | 0 comments I liked it quite a bit, but I always finish his books feeling like I'm missing a bunch of hints about Cosmere. I can't remember enough of the other books to keep it all straight in my head as I go.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Justin wrote: "I liked it quite a bit, but I always finish his books feeling like I'm missing a bunch of hints about Cosmere. I can't remember enough of the other books to keep it all straight in my head as I go."

That's kind of the beauty, you can catch the hints if you remember, but you don't necessarily miss out on the story if you do not.

message 10: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Gan (TheIneffableF) | 1 comments This book might just be a contender for my favorite "Mistborn" novel. The mystery element was spectacular, the kandra were hilarious, and Wayne just gets better with every book. Also, the cliffhanger at the end is absolutely torturing me.

message 11: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean Coker | 1 comments A great story, but I struggled getting into a few of the characters.

Wayne is an interesting character, however, as the 'oddball sidekick', he felt a little forced at times. I'm looking forward to seeing his character develop in the following books.

Another problem for me was Steris. Steris seems pointless as a character at this point in the story. It feels like Steris has been inserted into the story as a motionless placeholder to then be brought forward later on when she becomes relevant to the story.

Other than those little nitpicks on a few characters, I loved Shadows of Self. Wax and Marasi are great characters. The plot, as always with Brandon's books, was masterfully constructed. Same too with the setting. The Mistborn setting is just awesome. Love it.

Looking forward to January 26th.

4*