/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
This topic is about Shadows of Self
2015 Book Club Discussions > December 2015: Shadows of Self - First Impressions/Spoiler Free Discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments This is where you can discuss your first impressions of the book, as well as overall opinions of the book *if you keep it spoiler free*

message 2: by Ithlilian (new) - added it

Ithlilian | 3 comments Oh, another book that's on my to-read list is up for discussion! I placed a hold at the library, we will see when it comes it :)

Peter (peterkeep) I just started this last night! I'm happy to have this one match up with my to-read pile so that I can contribute to the group discussion this month...it's been a while since I was able to participate.

Erin | 4 comments I want to have a beer with Wayne.

Duncan Mcfarlane | 15 comments For the last few months I've completely ignoring the genre after making my way through the wonderful world of Malazan. As amazing as the books are, they burnt me out on fantasy for a while, but I'm back now.

It's hard to believe I'm already 150 pages in considering how busy I've been with finals coming up. Sanderson has a way of making the pages (and the time) fly by. I'm noticing a lot less of the problems I normally have with Sanderson's work too. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Duncan wrote: "For the last few months I've completely ignoring the genre after making my way through the wonderful world of Malazan. As amazing as the books are, they burnt me out on fantasy for a while, but I'm..."
He really does. The book was immensely entertaining; I thought it lagged a bit at times, but it picks up immensely towards the end, and was very entertaining.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Starbird (katherinestarbird) | 1 comments Waiting for the audiobook to clear the queue. The Mistborn Trilogy was one of my favorites when I read it, but it's been a while. This is set in the same world? Will I need to reread the trilogy to follow the story?

Matt Hageman You don't need to reread the trilogy, but you will need to read Alloy of Law, the fourth Mistborn book, beforehand.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Katherine wrote: "Waiting for the audiobook to clear the queue. The Mistborn Trilogy was one of my favorites when I read it, but it's been a while. This is set in the same world? Will I need to reread the trilogy to..."

You don't need to re-read. It's set in the future from Mistborn trilogy, and there's quite a few references to the past in this one (WAAAAY more than in Alloy of Law), but the pieces make sense. If you've read the trilogy, even if you don't remember all of it, you'll remember the bits and pieces needed to follow along just fine.