The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Fahrenheit 451
This topic is about Fahrenheit 451
Group Reads 2015 > December 2015 group read - Farenheit 451

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo | 1089 comments This is to discuss December 2015's group read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4029 comments Mod
When looking for an edition to read, I highly suggest one that is marked as 'complete' or unedited. In the version I listened to a while back, Bradbury's afterword made it clear that it was a big deal. He'd found over 75 revisions before issuing this edition.

Here's my 5 star review with more details. Warning, it does contain spoilers. With a classic like this, I expect everyone to have read it & want to mention particulars.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo | 1089 comments I've just taken this out of the library today and have the 50th anniversary edition so hopefully it is complete - Ray Bradbury has written an introduction for it but i've not started reading it yet. It's a long time since I last read this so will be interested to see if I enjoy it as much this time.

message 4: by Leo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leo | 560 comments I'm reading in Dutch, I can't find any information about the edition in my copy. So I guess i've got the poor man's edition. We'll see.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo | 1089 comments The first time I read this I gave it 5 starts but now reading it again I think i'm going to change my mind and reduce it to 4. I like the book a lot but this time round I found the ideas are much more powerful than the writing itself. There are a lot of clever ideas in the book and so much could still apply today which is what makes the book still so relevant today. The other reason for changing my score is I really like The Martian Chronicles and I gave that 4 stars and I like them equally.

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

You cruised through it pretty quickly, Jo. I was amazed by how much of the tech he got right. Did you read my review?

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo | 1089 comments Jim wrote: "You cruised through it pretty quickly, Jo. I was amazed by how much of the tech he got right. Did you read my review?"

Yes I enjoyed your review, it summarised everything nicely and your right about the tech as well. It's amazing how many of the ideas of today, were already suggested by Bradbury 50 years ago. It's a much shorter book than I remembered plus it's really readable hence my reading it quickly!

In the copy of the book I read Bradbury mentioned he liked the ending of the film better. Apparently he also produced a stage version with a different ending. He says he would never change the ending to the book though as people like it as it is. It seems strange to me as the film has a lot of changes from the book and I really cannot see that changing the ending would improve the book.

message 8: by Buck (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments Jo wrote: "The other reason for changing my score is I really like The Martian Chronicles and I gave that 4 stars and I like them equally. "

That's a similar reason I gave F451 four stars. I thought it deserved one more than the 3 I had given The Martian Chronicles

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

It gets an extra star from me for how well it has aged & Bradbury's prescience. There were just too many gadgets & social trends that he pegged too well. 4 star books are really good, but a 5 star book is really good no matter when I read it & have a lot of meaning in the real world - at least the way I rate books. I know we all do it differently.

I'm not sure how consistent I am. I noticed that I don't have nearly as many 5 star books this year as the last couple. I've been dropping by about 6 books per year at that rating. I wonder if I'm just getting grumpy.
;)

message 10: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments I'm pretty stingy with 5-star ratings. I did give 5 stars to Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. It made me start to think of Bradbury as a SF/F version of Steinbeck.

message 11: by Leo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leo | 560 comments I liked the style of writing, a little bit like telling a dream. I found the story not that spectacular, think 1984 is much more impressive. And the ending is a bit disappointing. Maybe it has something to do with the version I read, clearly not the 'complete'-one.

message 12: by Joel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joel (juniquex) | 137 comments I read this a couple of years back so I haven't been reading it this month, plus my copy is in Cornwall at my parents house. I'm visiting them for Christmas though so I might give it a reread, or at the very least see if my edition is the "complete" one or not. Abridgements (especially unauthorised ones) really peeve me off.

Charles | 16 comments I read this one a long time ago. Kept a copy to read again, which makes it one of a very few books in that category for me. His prescience is striking--how he predicted so many future electro-mechanical pediments and social impediments. I (like others) feel that the book is not about the ostensible subject--book burning--but about the love of ideas and books and the way books carry those ideas forward. For that, it deserves to be listed among the all time favorites of science fiction (IMO).