Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird) Go Set a Watchman discussion

Best Fiction of 2015 - Congratulations!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (last edited Dec 01, 2015 09:08AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg I would just like to offer a congratulations to the readers who voted in this category this year. There were 84% of us who did NOT vote this book as best fiction of 2015 and it's nice to be in such a large company of discerning readers! (The numbers: 31,093 for this and 159,665 for other books.)

message 2: by Deb (last edited Dec 01, 2015 05:46PM) (new)

Deb Disclaimer, I did not vote in this category this year. Most of my year of reading was spent on things I didn't get to in previous years, plus not many of the nominees really jumped out at me. That being said, I am quite baffled by its winning. I love To Kill a Mockingbird, but I didn't read this book and probably won't. With it being critically panned and having a rating (to date) of 3.34, I was surprised it was even nominated.

message 3: by CS (last edited Dec 01, 2015 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

CS Barron The poll was confined to a small, unrepresentative sample size as compared to total readership of this book, and that distorted the results.

Go look at the facts. The avg GR rating is 3.34.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
That's even lower than the avg Amazon rating of 3.4.
http://www.amazon.com/Go-Set-Watchman...

The total readership of this book, according to the avg ratings by thousands of people on GR and Amazon, are assigning this book to mediocrity at best.

Too bad this poll will be misused to publicize an inferior book that is not worth the price of admission.

message 4: by Dale (new)

Dale Pearl CS wrote: "The poll was confined to a small, unrepresentative sample size as compared to total readership of this book, and that distorted the results.

http..."

I have to agree with you. I don't think that i will bother voting next year and here is why:
1) No method or full disclosure on how books are selected.
2) The round 2 where additional books are added in does not provide the math or full logic behind those books being added
3) the book finals include books that were not submitted in either the first or second round. i have the screen shots to back this up.
4) all books released should be available to be voted on.
5) ARC books should not be included because not everyone has access to ARC book in order to review, plus they have not been officially released by the publishing company so people are voting on their favorite authors and not the most deserving book.
In order for Goodreads to have a fair competition they need to give 100% compiling results that any user could reproduce to come up with the same winning results otherwise it is just a sham to sell books that authors or publishing companies use to generate increased sales of their books.

message 5: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Deb wrote: "Disclaimer, I did not vote in this category this year. Most of my year of reading was spent on things I didn't get to in previous years, plus not many of the nominees really jumped out at me. That ..."
Deb, several months ago when I read this book, the rating was around 3.6. The only reason I read it was because a well-regarded friend of mine insisted I had to read it in order to understand why, exactly, it was so bad. So I checked it out at the library, for free. Odd, isn't it, that during the voting period, the average rating dropped.

message 6: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg CS wrote: "The poll was confined to a small, unrepresentative sample size as compared to total readership of this book, and that distorted the results.

http..."

CS, it is bothering to me that other media outlets will use this "Best Fiction" thing to publicize the book. Oddly, several months ago, the rating was around 3.6. So, during the voting period itself, the rating dropped.

message 7: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Dale wrote: "CS wrote: "The poll was confined to a small, unrepresentative sample size as compared to total readership of this book, and that distorted the results.

Go look at the facts. The avg GR rating is ..."

Dale, lots of good information there that I didn't know, thanks! And the fact that people can vote and vote and vote (under different user names) probably comes into play.

message 8: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Deb, CS, Dale, I know how the real world works. Why, even for the upcoming USA Presidential election, one vote doesn't equal one vote because of the Electoral College rules, so my vote for POTUS may not even count at all. But I digress. There are a lot of good things about goodreads, and I am encountering discerning readers whose opinions I respect, even when they are different from my own. Never has my favorite film of any given year won the Best Picture Academy Award. Once that happens, I'll probably question my own taste in movies. Same thing with goodreads. Thank you for your input here, this is meant only to be an open discussion of opinions.

message 9: by CS (new) - rated it 1 star

CS Barron Dale, thank you for the information.

How do you like the timing? This poll, which sounds more and more like a sham, was released in time for holiday gift buying.

There are so many good books out there, far better than GSAW, that deserve attention and support for their authors. Better books to give to a dedicated and discriminating reader, too.

message 10: by Dale (new)

Dale Pearl Yeah, I am thinking that Stephen King in particular gets hosed by this award. I think he had a book come out the day after the choice awards started.
It is in my opinion an awards contest for the editing companies to get behind and not avid readers. The voting time as you mentions shines the light on that. Amp up sales right before the holidays.
The date should run from January 1 to January 31 with the selection process beginning in the first week of the following year. Any other way and it is unbalanced.

based on the 2015 year winners I am of the opinion that I will not vote or even look at the choice awards next year. Goodreads won't lose any sleep over that they still had over 3.5 million voters (with 3,49 million being bribed, or motivated, or performed by the book editors and authors).

message 11: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Dale wrote: "Yeah, I am thinking that Stephen King in particular gets hosed by this award. I think he had a book come out the day after the choice awards started.
It is in my opinion an awards contest for the e..."

About timing, even the massive marketing scheme that is the "Academy Awards" takes place in late Feb/early March for the previous year. Then again, those awards rev up DVD sales, many of this years movies will be released on DVD after the AA. All for fun, really, not much more.

Benedict Peng I think that this book really made you question Atticus Finch. In To Kill A Mockingbird, he seemed to be against segregation. He accepted the job to defend Tom, even when others wouldn't. However, in Go Set A Watchman, he is actually pro-segregation. He thinks that it would be bad if there were African Americans in the government and in other high positions. Even Calpurina left him. This was the internal conflict going on in Jean Louise's mind.

Betsy Hetzel I respect all the above opinions about GSAW, and I will have to respectfully agree to disagree.
As Lee's first book, GSAW was certainly not as well-written as TKAM and, of course, it lacked the editing process, from which it would have benefited but....
I think that for many of us for whom TKAM was one of our beloved books and Atticus/Scout our beloved characters, it rounded out their story, whether one liked/agreed what was written or not. I did vote for it b/c in my mind , although not a literary masterpiece, it tells the thoughts/feelings about the South of that time by an author who experienced it, it is a companion to one of the best books by that esteemed author, to be appreciated for what it is, and perhaps a shame not to know the "rest of the story" that Lee had wanted to tell .... IMHO.

message 14: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg Betsy wrote: "I respect all the above opinions about GSAW, and I will have to respectfully agree to disagree.
As Lee's first book, GSAW was certainly not as well-written as TKAM and, of course, it lacked the ed..."

Yes, absolutely, great that we agree to disagree. I just don't get it, I honestly am mystified. Betsy, outside of TKAM and Harper Lee, would you have voted for it? I did read what I thought was much better fiction this year, and again, we are here for open discussions with varying opinions.

joepr Pues yo disfruté mucho la novela... ¡Y que muchos Atticus hay en la vida real! Con muchas virtudes y faltas.

David Schwinghammer ALL THE LIGHT ONE CANNOT SEE was so much better. I read them both. I don't think Harper Lee got good advice when she agreed to publish.

message 17: by Greg (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg David wrote: "ALL THE LIGHT ONE CANNOT SEE was so much better. I read them both. I don't think Harper Lee got good advice when she agreed to publish."
David, absolutely, "All the Light We Cannot See" was far better than "Go Set a Watchman". (But I didn't care much for "All the Light" either, I didn't get it at all, but I do respect that others found something they liked very much. But why didn't the blind girl just march into Nazi army camps and everyone around her would have died? She was alone in the world anyway and she was aware of the legend!)