The Bibliophiles discussion

Book of the Month > January BOTM recommendations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:51AM) (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello! This will be the thread for helping us decide what books to read to ring in the new year! I was thinking maybe the subject could be books that are going to be released as movies. I found a list here that looks like it includes some good ones!
http://kindleaddicts.com/20-books-bec...
I thought this could be fun as it's always best to read the book before the movie and, most of the time, I enjoy going to see the movie once it's released. Your recommendation does not have to come from this list, it just looked like a good place to start! If you don't like this idea or have a better suggestion just let me know! Thanks!

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I vote for Looking for Alaska. It was a terrific book and I'd love to discuss it.

I have run a movie/book club at the local library for about 5 years and will be sharing this list with them.

Thanks!

message 3: by Jenny (last edited Dec 03, 2015 01:22AM) (new)

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments Me Before You will be out in march next year.
Inferno I'm no fan od Dan Brown but I know that I will pirate the movie at one point or another. Set for August 2016
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children Set for December.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Should be out ... now?

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Awesome suggestions guys! I can already tell it'll be hard picking which one I want to read!
I remember you talking about that before Kandice. I completely forgot about it whenever I decided to do this as our topic though. Worked out well I suppose! :)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

I just couldn't decide on which ones I liked most on this list but I think The BFG and The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon are my two favorites off the list. I have read both of these books before and adored both. The BFG was one of my all time favorite childhood books and The Lost City of Z is just a fantastic story with that big history mystery that has never truly been solved which makes all the more awesome! Such good books!

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments I have the animated version of the BFG on VHS and refuse to aknowledge any other adaption! C: I was a huge Dahl fan when smoll :)

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read Dahl's books out loud to my children over and over again and used ridiculous voices to do so. BFG was among their favorites and I don't know how many times I actually read it because the voice I used for him was so over the top.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments They were read to me too by my mom. Though Matilda (me) and The Witches (my sis) were the favorites. Dad liked the GFR and that was the one he read to us or sneaked in to listen to mom read. ^,^

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice My children loved Matilda too. I think they loved it partly because of the name "The Trenchbowl"! :D

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Ahhh this makes me remember all the Dahl books growing up!! I've been impatiently waiting for the day to read them to my little girl to share all the wonderfulness with her! Love it!!

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments I remember loving the BFG as a kid. I would love to reread it.

Also, i read Me Before You earlier this year. It has a high rating. Maybe i am heartless but while i was reading it i kept thinking how stupid it was. The sequel, After You, came out a few months ago.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

I was wondering that about Me Before You. I read the summary and just felt like I really wouldn't enjoy it. That is my personal preference though, that's not to say a lot of other people won't absolutely adore it.

I agree with the BFG!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

For anyone whose interested here's the teaser trailer for The BFG. I didn't realize it would be directed by Steven Speilberg. Hopefully that means it'll be good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG5Mt...

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice The company my son acts with is doing BFG in April, 2016. I can't wait.

I'm anxious for the movie too.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Kandice wrote: "The company my son acts with is doing BFG in April, 2016. I can't wait.

I'm anxious for the movie too."

Wow how fun will that be!? That would be a really fun show to watch! Wish I could see it!