Flights of Fantasy discussion

The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about The House of Shattered Wings
Archived Group Reads > December 2015 - Fantasy: The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2974 comments This sounds pretty cool, but not sure if I'll get to it this month.

Happy B-day month! ;)

message 2: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Happy birthday month, Nicki!

This looks interesting and I hope to get to it.

message 3: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 2023 comments A Very Happy Birthday month to you!!

Lulu (robotwitch) I finished this in August, just after it came out. I thought it was very enjoyable - a quick, fast-paced read with a helluv a lot of tension throughout. Though I found the resolution a little disappointing, I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series. I'm also not big on angels in my fantasy, usually, but they are done wonderfully here, as well as having the magnificent post-apocalyptic(ish) world of Paris in the background.

I thought the characters were great too - Philippe and Madeleine were particularly enjoyable, and I can't wait to know more about Asmodeus, who I thought was a fascinating character. Selene was less enjoyable, but still, a necessary figure.

message 5: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg | 197 comments Belated happy birthday month, Nikki! :)

Aliette de Bodard is an interesting author and I'd like to read more of her work but I won't have the opportunity to read The house of shattered wings this month, regrettably. I was first introduced to her writing in August when I read her short story, 'Ship's brother', in The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 26. My review of the story as it appeared in that book can be read here (I notice, incidentally, that I need to add reviews of other stories I've read so far in that anthology!).

For those who have read her books in the Dai Viet Empire setting, how does The house of shattered wings compare?

Lulu (robotwitch) Greg wrote: "Belated happy birthday month, Nikki! :)

Aliette de Bodard is an interesting author and I'd like to read more of her work but I won't have the opportunity to read The house of shattered wings this ..."

I've only read On a Red Station, Drifting out of her Dai Viet books/novella series. But there is little comparison. While she includes a (I believe) Vietnamese character in House of Shattered Wings, that is about as far as the likeness goes. After all, they are not only completely separate genres, but completely different worlds too.

Her writing style is also a little different, mostly due to this huge cultural shift. That is, the quieter, more reserved writing that seems to be in her Dai Viet stories (or, at least, in Red Station) is not seen here. It's not "loud" writing, but it certainly is fast-paced.

message 7: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg | 197 comments Lulu wrote: "Greg wrote: "Belated happy birthday month, Nikki! :)

Aliette de Bodard is an interesting author and I'd like to read more of her work but I won't have the opportunity to read The house of shattere..."

I understood that the setting and genre were different but I was interested to know how The House of Shattered Wings compared with regard to style (which you do comment on, Lulu) as well as to world-building detail, given that it is the first novel in a new series. I'm sorry, I should've been clearer about that.

It's interesting to learn that Bodard's style is quite different in The House of Shattered Wings - this suggests she is a versatile writer. Since Bodard has written some short fiction set in the same world, this suggests also that her alternate Paris is already fairly detailed.

message 8: by Andreas (new) - added it

Andreas I've read the prequel novelette "The Death of Aiguillon" which was very entertaining. It appeared in the anthology A Fantasy Medley 3. Here is my review.

message 9: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I started this a few minutes ago, and I'm already enjoying it more than Hood.

message 10: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Alright, nearing the halfway mark. It's still building, and we're in that slow middle part of book that comes along so frequently. It's still good, and I'm getting a little bit read each day.

But I'm having a hard time focusing strictly on this and not my The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 reread.

message 11: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Finished it last night, a few days into archived status.

Well, it was decent. It had the potential to be great and didn't quite do it to that level for me.

Elise I am listening to the audio of this book. Although it interests me I keep getting distracted! Sometimes I really have to listen to a part again to not lose track of the story..

message 13: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I found myself doing that with the ebook too.