Flights of Fantasy discussion

Doctor Sleep
This topic is about Doctor Sleep
Archived Group Reads > December 2015 - Horror: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Well howdy doo! I kept seeing this thread and thinking it was for a different group for some reason. Because derp.

Anyone reading it? I read it a few years ago when it came out and probably won't be re-reading, but I'm interested to discuss it with those who are reading along! :)

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 4 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I sort of feel obligated, since I nom'd it and all.

I have been wanting to read it for awhile, though.

Planning on using it for a gym read, though, so it might be slow going.

message 3: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I read it when it first came out, and liked it quite a bit.

Sarah I read/listened to it a couple of months ago and completely loved it.

message 5: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I read it when it first came out as well. I can't remember my thoughts. Half the reason I'm commenting here is so that I can see what I rated it beside my name! I'm lazy.

message 6: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments 4 stars. Good stuff then.

message 7: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Hehe...I do that all the time. Scary.

Sarah I think the text itself would have been for stars for me , but the narration was so amazing that I bumped it up to five :)

Valerie (darthval) | 120 comments I read this one two years ago around this time. Well, I listened to it on audio...the narration was awesome.

Just prior, I listened to the audio version of The Shining which I think both helped and hurt my perspective of Doctor Sleep. On one hand, I had a fresh memory of Danny's childhood. On the other, The Shining was so much better that I was a bit disappointed in Doctor Sleep by comparison.

I ended up giving it a 3.5 star rating in my mind, probably bumped up by the narration.

It started out very well, super creepy. However, over time I just didn't feel like the True Knot were all that scary, well except for how the narrator did their voices. I thought (view spoiler)

Sarah I read The Shining right before listening to Doctor Sleep. I agree that it was good to have everything fresh in my mind. His writing was so rough in The Shining though! The actual writing quality was a vast improvement in Doctor Sleep. I absolutely could not believe the quality of Will Patton's narration! I think I've seriously underestimated his acting skills. It was phenomenal.

Valerie, are you a Doctor Who fan? Those hedges reminded me so much of the Weeping Angels!

message 11: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I prefer The Shining to Doctor Sleep, though I did enjoy DS. I don't know if I can agree with the writing comment, because I've read The Shining so many times that to me, the writing is as easy as breathing, but where I think that the story surpasses its sequel is in the plot and characters. I loved Danny, and loved seeing him grown up, but most of the rest of the characters felt a bit lame to me. I think that it was a bit... soft. Especially compared to The Shining.

Valerie (darthval) | 120 comments Sarah, I am a fan of Doctor Who, but alas, only midway through Season 3. I just don't spend much time with the TV and my SO is not a fan. Wish I had thought of that, I love the Weeping Angels. So creepy.

Campbell Scott also did a great job with The Shining.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 4 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments So, I guess I'm roughly 10% in.

I knew that this was about an older Danny Torrance, and I knew (view spoiler).

I didn't know there were (view spoiler)

message 14: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Right.

message 15: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 4 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Left.

message 16: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Though... only kinda. They can be likened to The Overlook, because if you think about it, isn't that what The Overlook was? (view spoiler)

message 17: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments colleen the fabulous fabulaphile wrote: "Left."

Up.

message 18: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 4 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments About 68% in I said to Jer, "Well, I'm liking it better than the Shining."

And he goes, "Well, that's good, since it's a better story."

^_^

message 19: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 4 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments So, I just finished this. I actually really enjoyed it. One of my fave non-DT King's, for sure.

It wasn't really scary, I didn't think, but I liked the story a lot.

I expected (view spoiler), though I think I'm glad he didn't.

And I teared up a bit when (view spoiler)

While reading it I thought of DT a little bit - mostly in the "ka is a wheel", tets, and that there are no coincidences. Themes Sai King seems nigh obsessed with.

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 119 comments I read this book last year. I also read The Shining before starting this book. I loved it, gave it 4 stars. I had a tough time getting through the first 1/3 of the book, but then I didn't want to stop. I too listened to the audio and it was great! I agree with Colleen. It wasn't so much scary as suspenceful.