Contemporary YA discussion

All the Bright Places
This topic is about All the Bright Places
Group Reads > All the Bright Places

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Dec 01, 2015 11:41AM) (new)

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod

Winner of the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015- BEST YOUNG ADULT FICTION

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.

Soon to be a major motion picture starring Elle Fanning!

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.

1. What did you like best about the book?
2. What did you like the least about the book?
3. Did any characters stand out to you?
4. Would you recommend this book?
5. Were there any lessons learned?
6. If you could ask the author one question what would it be?

Read... discuss and have fun!

message 2: by Andrea (last edited Dec 03, 2015 04:14AM) (new)

Goodreads YA Interview—Jennifer Niven, All the Bright Places

https://youtu.be/-uaLTVO6mg4

Melanie (mellowknee) 1. What did you like best about the book?

What I liked best was how this book brought new understanding for me into mental illness such as depression. I always knew that depression takes over you but the way it took Finch into such a dark place that love couldn't even save him... it was just heartbreaking and I felt like I understand depression a little more seeing it characterized this way... Also the way his family didn't even try to reach him (unlike Violet) showed such a typical view of teen mental illness .."It's just a phase... they're just being angsty right now..." Working with teens at the library, I can see how alone some of them feel sometimes.

“It's my experience that people are a lot more sympathetic if they can see you hurting, and for the millionth time in my life I wish for measles or smallpox or some other easily understood disease just to make it easier on me and also on them.”
― Jennifer Niven, All the Bright Places

2. What did you like the least about the book?

"I know myself well enough to know that no one else can keep you awake or keep you from sleeping.”

I hate this quote because I think Finch could have been okay if he could have gotten help ... professional help, family support... more than just Violet. But maybe no one could have helped him...

3. Did any characters stand out to you?
Most of them

4. Would you recommend this book?
Hell yes.

5. Were there any lessons learned?

“Listen, I’m the freak. I’m the weirdo. I’m the troublemaker. I start fights. I let people down. Don’t make Finch mad, whatever you do. Oh, there he goes again, in one of his moods. Moody Finch. Angry Finch. Unpredictable Finch. Crazy Finch. But I’m not a compilation of symptoms. Not a casualty of shitty parents and an even shittier chemical makeup. Not a problem. Not a diagnosis. Not an illness. Not something to be rescued. I’m a person.”

6. If you could ask the author one question what would it be?

What is your experience with mental illness? What kind of research did you do to write this book?

(I haven't read any of her interviews so she probably already answered these questions)

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Melanie wrote: "1. What did you like best about the book?

What I liked best was how this book brought new understanding for me into mental illness such as depression. I always knew that depression takes over you ..."

Great answers! I think we all need to have a better understanding of mental illness and depression.