Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > February 2016 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments February 2016 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination.
BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only one nomination and one second per member.

4.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I nominate The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein. For those of us playing Bingo, it will fill the science fiction square.

message 3: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Dec 01, 2015 09:13AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Erich Maria Remarque's The Black Obelisk is my nomination

I think this book picks up after All Quiet on the Western Front, a recent "new school" BOTM here. The Black Obelisk is the story of WWI veterans getting back into civilian life and the difficulties they face after the war.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan Magyar (ianmagyar) Janet wrote: "I nominate The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein. For those of us playing Bingo, it will fill the science fiction square."

I second it. It's on my Old & New challenge reading list.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'll nominate The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. It fulfills the 1940s female author and I would love to discuss it.

message 6: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Anne Frank's Diary also counts as Non-Fiction for the Bingo, I believe.

message 7: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments I nominate South Riding by Winifred Holtby.
Published 1936
492 pages

message 8: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I nominate The Good Earth.

It's a practical allrounder for the Bingo, as the author won a Nobel prize and the book a Pulitzer:
Classic of Asia
Author Nobel Prize Winner
Prize Winning Female Author
Foreign Prize Winner/ Prize Winner of your Region
New To You Author

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Phil wrote: "I nominate The Good Earth.

It's a practical allrounder for the Bingo, as the author won a Nobel prize and the book a Pulitzer:
Classic of Asia
Author Nobel Prize Winner
Prize Winning F..."

Now that is forward planning!

message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Emily wrote: "I will nominate The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka."

I know the main edition says 200 pages - but this is only 50-60. It might get more attention/votes in the Short Story thread.

Love this story, by the way!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Melanti wrote: "Emily wrote: "I will nominate The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka."

I know the main edition says 200 pages - but this is only 50-60. It might get more attention/votes in t..."

By goodness, all I had to do was check on my kindle where I have a copy lying in wait, you are right! I'm going to go ahead and withdraw my "new school" nomination and go to the short stories.

message 13: by Nathan (last edited Dec 01, 2015 09:14PM) (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I nominate The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, published in 1962.

It fits many bingo categories: Nobel Prize Winner, Prize Winning Female Author, Foreign Literary Prize (Prix Médicis étranger), maybe Classic of Africa (Lessing lived in Southern Rhodesia from age 6-30 and this book is at least partly set in Africa).

I second The Diary of a Young Girl.

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "I nominate The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, published in 1962.

It fits many bingo categories: Nobel Prize Winner, Prize Winning Female Author, Foreign Literary Pri..."

I'll second this one,

message 15: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) I'd like to nominate The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, a classic detective story that discusses philosophy, and is meant to be a little bizarre.

I'll second Master & Margarita.

message 16: by Julie (last edited Dec 03, 2015 03:31AM) (new)

Julie | 643 comments I nominate 'If this is a man' (can only add the danish translation by link... Hvis dette er et menneske) by Primo Levi

message 17: by Sam (new)

message 18: by Melanti (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Julie wrote: "I nominate 'If this is a man' (can only add the danish translation by link... Hvis dette er et menneske) by Primo Levi"

That's because there's an alternate English title that pulls up first.
Survival in Auschwitz
Then you can click on other editions to get the more accurate translation of the title.
If This Is a Man

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments I nominate The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, published 1979

message 20: by Gaby (new)

Gaby (gabypen) I nominate The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, and along the same line, I second The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.

message 21: by Bat-Cat (last edited Dec 07, 2015 12:36PM) (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments How do I add a link to my comment when nominating a book?

Never mind - I figured it out. Thanks.

message 22: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "How do I add a link to my comment when nominating a book?"

Do you mean a link to a book or author? Press the add book/author butten over the box where you write. If you mean another link then click the som html is ok. There is a list. :)

message 23: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I would like to nominate Satantango by László Krasznahorkai and would like to second the Master and Margarita.

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I'll second Bonjour tristesse. Francoise Sagan is fun reading!

message 25: by Miikka (new)

Miikka (nurmis) | 50 comments Seconding Satantango

message 26: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Lulu wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, a classic detective story that discusses philosophy, and is meant to be a little bizarre."

Second

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Three days left for nominations! Here is our list of nominations so far:

Janet: 1966, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein, 288 pages - Seconds: Jan, Quanjun, Gaby
Andrea: 1956, The Black Obelisk by Erich Maria Remarque, 448 pages
Sarah: 1947, The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, 283 pages - Seconds: Nathan
Duane: 1936, South Riding by Winifred Holtby, 492 pages
Phil: 1931, The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, 418 pages
Emily: 1966, The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, 360 pages - Seconds: Lulu, Bat-Cat
Nathan: 1962, The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, 640 pages - Seconds: Kathy
Lulu: 1908, The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton, 198 pages - Seconds: Bob
Julie: 1947, Hvis dette er et menneske by Primo Levi, 201 pages (English: If This Is a Man)
Sam: 1954, Bonjour tristesse by Françoise Sagan, 154 pages (English: Bonjour Tristesse) - Seconds: Kathleen
Sarah: 1979, The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, 396 pages
Gaby: 1950, The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, 182 pages
Bat-Cat: 1985, Satantango by László Krasznahorkai, 274 pages - Seconds: Miikka
Quanjun: 1934, Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller, 318 pages

message 28: by Christine (last edited Dec 14, 2015 02:56PM) (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Nominations are now closed! The poll will open for voting on December 16, and will run through December 31.

Link to poll

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.